Portion control

I've stuggled with food for a long time, not eating enough or too much. I'm not overweight however I want to maintain a healthy body. My main problem was portion control. Everything should be in moderation. So my trick was buying smaller plates, shallower bowls as well. With the shallow bowls I wasn't able to put so much cereal in. With smaller plates you don't put as much food on it as you would a large plate. I recommend you try. It really helps!

Replies

• Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Good suggestion silverrainbows. The best tips are the practical ones! I think a lot of it is about training yourself to realise what IS a correct portion. I started weighing my pasta because I consistently used to boil enough to feed an army (and then eat it). Those humble scales make an ENORMOUS difference to changing my judgement!

Some of the other ones I have heard over the years are:
    • Drink a glass of water before a meal, so you feel fuller even BEFORE you start serving yourself food
    • Eat slowly (the body takes a while before it figures out it's full) - I think I've heard 20 minutes before
    • Leave one forkful of food on your plate at the end of every meal. It just demonstrates to automatic plate-clearers like me (I was ALWAYS encouraged not to waste food and to eat everything on my plate when I was young) that I won't starve it I leave that last mouthful
    • Use chopsticks to eat your food (yes, a bit gimmicky that one, but I reckon it would help with the "eat slowly" idea above)
    • Another big one for ME is to use the FREEZER. I often make one pot meals (for ease). There is ALWAYS too much. But instead of using it for a second helping - FREEZE IT (and eat it for lunch the next day!) - as soon as I viewed leftovers as a means to save myself cooking the next day, rather than as a second helping, that helped my portion control!!!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    You should look into using a food scale.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    You should look into using a food scale.

What a novel idea!!

Yes really. Use a scale. Weigh out your portion. Make sure that portion fits within your calories. Log it. Eat it.

Simple.