Do Fat Burners Make You Burn More Calories?

Options
I have been taking fat burners since I have begun MFP, and I know that in speeds up my metabolism and increases my metabolism, but will they also help me burn more calories throughout the day? If so, roughly how many extra calories will I burn taking fat burners?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Fat burners" don't do anything at all, much less speed up your metabolism.

There are illegal drugs that do actually speed up your metabolism. DNP is the perfect example. DNP significantly speeds up your metabolism. The main side effect? Body heat. Taking DNP makes you hot and sweaty and exhausted.

That's what happens when your metabolism increases. Your body gets hotter. Think about it - you're burning more fuel, you're generating more heat. That's what ACTUAL drugs that boost your metabolism do. That's why your body gets so hot and sweaty during cardio - it's burning tons of fuel. Same reason a car engine gets hotter as you open the throttle.

The side effect of ACTUAL fat burners like DNP is, well, death. DNP literally kills people. It's not some weird effect of the drug - the thing that kills people is the increased metabolism. They die from the cardiovascular stress or excess body heat.

So before you pop another pill that you think increases your metabolism, think about that. Drugs that actually do increase metabolism make you feel like you're actually doing cardiovascular exercise, and can kill you. So if that drug doesn't make your body get hot and sweat like you're out jogging or running, it's not doing anything