What role does metabolism actually play in weight loss?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My biggest guess to explain the shift in obesity we're seeing in the last 20 years as opposed to 50 years ago (at least in the US) is the shift in stay-at-home parents. These days we have a lot fewer stay-at-home parents either because both parents are working or it's a single parent household. As a result, less home cooking and more emphasis on convenience foods -- whether bought at the grocery store and reheated (or straight out of the box) or a drive thru. That and the crazy increase in serving sizes -- standare coke bottles used to be what, 8 oz? and now a 'small' coke at a lot of burger joints is 16-22 oz. And the supersizing has happened with a lot of foods across that board.

I'm guessing that there is something in those convenience foods that is altering/affecting people's satiety. There is no doubt that the food industry does TONS of research to find just the right combination of ingredients to hit people's pleasure centers and encourage people to eat more and more of their food. I suspect part of that also reduces satiety. Perhaps it's the added sugar, difference in types of fats, some other additive/preservative, combination of all of the above or something else. But whatever it is, it encourages people to eat more because they're not satisfied -- and then you end up with all the overeating and obesity. Because obviously the overeating isn't a conscious choice -- people aren't saying, "man I really want to be fat!, let's eat more than I need!" You see how many people are really shocked by how much they're eating when they start to diligently count calories. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Again, nothing to do with metabolism. This isnt a theoretical discussion on changes in activity over the past 50 years. Its a discussion of the metabolism.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So I'm clear - There is no such thing as fast metabolism/ slow metabolism? I ask because I've always thought I had a pretty fast metabolism. Even before I started CICO I was on the sidelines of, "normal weight/overweight" on the BMI chart and I swear I was eating over 3k calories a day. I started doing CICO and set it to lose .5 pounds a week and I averaged over 1 pound a week for 16 weeks and I always thought it was because I had a faster than usual metabolism.
    There are variations in metabolism but not significantly a lot. But you could have a significantly high tdee which is why you have been slimmer most your life.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    So I'm clear - There is no such thing as fast metabolism/ slow metabolism? I ask because I've always thought I had a pretty fast metabolism. Even before I started CICO I was on the sidelines of, "normal weight/overweight" on the BMI chart and I swear I was eating over 3k calories a day. I started doing CICO and set it to lose .5 pounds a week and I averaged over 1 pound a week for 16 weeks and I always thought it was because I had a faster than usual metabolism.

Some people have a higher or lower BMR which is basically your 'metabolism'. Factors that influence this are lean muscle mass, height, age etc. So if you feel like you have a faster metabolism it may be you're young tall and lean.

Let's look at 2 case studies:

If you are MALE, 175cm, 95 kg, 25 yrs your BMR is about 2079 calories

If you are FEMALE, 163cm, 60kg, 25 yrs your BMR is about 1414 calories.

That's a difference of 665 calories. That's a lot more food you can eat.

I don't believe this is correct. You may have misunderstood me. What I'm saying is, I found what calculators said was my BMR or TDEE and what I'm suppose to lose eating 1800 calories (sometimes more) a day and I have lost double more than I was suppose to. I feel I actually do have a fast metabolism than I took advantage of for too many years.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Some people have a higher or lower BMR which is basically your 'metabolism'. Factors that influence this are lean muscle mass, height, age etc. So if you feel like you have a faster metabolism it may be you're young tall and lean.

I don't believe this is correct. You may have misunderstood me. What I'm saying is, I found what calculators said was my BMR or TDEE and what I'm suppose to lose eating 1800 calories (sometimes more) a day and I have lost double more than I was suppose to. I feel I actually do have a fast metabolism than I took advantage of for too many years.

Those were figures that I got plugging data into a BMR calculator. It's not an exact science of course but it's not incorrect to say that a 'faster metabolism' isn't a real thing. It is, it's just not an excuse for people to use to say they can't lose weight since noone's BMR is so low they can't create a deficit.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Given all the factors that go into creating a calorie deficit, it's much more likely that your counts are off in the number of calories you're eating, your activity level, and/or your exercise calories than it is that your have a metabolic rate which deviates significantly than the general population.
  • psuLemon
    Options

The calculators are wrong for me to but i chaulk that up to an increase in activity rather than metabolism. If you want to know for sure, get a metabolic test.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options

Those were figures that I got plugging data into a BMR calculator. It's not an exact science of course but it's not incorrect to say that a 'faster metabolism' isn't a real thing. It is, it's just not an excuse for people to use to say they can't lose weight since noone's BMR is so low they can't create a deficit.

Ah I understand now. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were trying to get at.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/metabolism/art-20046508

Metabolism is the process by which your body converts what you eat and drink into energy. During this complex biochemical process, calories in food and beverages are combined with oxygen to release the energy your body needs to function.

In brief, metabolism plays a role in keeping you alive.

Right, but I guess what I am trying to ask is does having a faster / slower metabolism actually affect weight loss, as many claim?

There is no such thing for healthy individuals. There are a few medical problems that affect metabolism, and if you have reason to suspect thsi is your case, you need to see a dr.

I definitely don't think it's the case for me, which is why it's so surprising for me to learn that it's most likely not the case for 99% of people. We're kind of told all our lives that it's a big deal, and you just either have it or you don't, but I'm now finding that it's bunk.

You'll love this. No topic on metabolism should be missing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o
  • Asher_Ethan
    edited September 2015
    Options

Given all the factors that go into creating a calorie deficit, it's much more likely that your counts are off in the number of calories you're eating, your activity level, and/or your exercise calories than it is that your have a metabolic rate which deviates significantly than the general population.

Entirely plausible that I'm off somewhere in my calculations.

With all the issues I see on here with other people logging, weighing, measuring and how easy it is for me to accidentally lose twice as fast as I wanted to... Isn't that entirely plausible to say I MAY have a faster metabolism?

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, your metabolism is correlated to how much muscle you have. I looked into this because I was interested in how yo-yo dieting might affect your metabolism (it might, but only for a short period of time), and how age might affect your metabolism. Apparently metabolism is less correlated to age than it is to muscle mass. If you are a muscly septuagenarian, you will still have a fast metabolism. Big "if" though. Hard to keep that muscle as you age.

But personally I'm not certain what advantage there is to the desirable fast metabolism, other than a bigger grocery bill. Surely these people get hungrier than someone with a slow metabolism?
  • tincanonastring
    Options

With all the issues I see on here with other people logging, weighing, measuring and how easy it is for me to accidentally lose twice as fast as I wanted to... Isn't that entirely plausible to say I MAY have a faster metabolism?

I don't think we have enough information to make that determination. I can't even see your diary to check how well you log or if you weigh your food, I don't know what your exercise burns look like or how much of them you eat back, etc. Even without that information, I still think it's more likely your calculations are off than you have a significanty higher metabolic rate. Or maybe you have a tapeworm.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Options

I don't think we have enough information to make that determination. I can't even see your diary to check how well you log or if you weigh your food, I don't know what your exercise burns look like or how much of them you eat back, etc. Even without that information, I still think it's more likely your calculations are off than you have a significanty higher metabolic rate. Or maybe you have a tapeworm.

Damnit... I probably have a tapeworm.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Damnit... I probably have a tapeworm.

A cleansing is in order I think;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Well, it would only be 250-ish above what the calculator told her. It was 1 pound per week when she wanted 0.5. That's still worlds more plausible than the constant "I'm eating like 800 calories and exercising 2 hours daily but not losing anything" posts.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Well, it would only be 250-ish above what the calculator told her. It was 1 pound per week when she wanted 0.5. That's still worlds more plausible than the constant "I'm eating like 800 calories and exercising 2 hours daily but not losing anything" posts.

Good point.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My biggest guess to explain the shift in obesity we're seeing in the last 20 years as opposed to 50 years ago (at least in the US) is the shift in stay-at-home parents. These days we have a lot fewer stay-at-home parents either because both parents are working or it's a single parent household. As a result, less home cooking and more emphasis on convenience foods -- whether bought at the grocery store and reheated (or straight out of the box) or a drive thru. That and the crazy increase in serving sizes -- standare coke bottles used to be what, 8 oz? and now a 'small' coke at a lot of burger joints is 16-22 oz. And the supersizing has happened with a lot of foods across that board.

I'm guessing that there is something in those convenience foods that is altering/affecting people's satiety. There is no doubt that the food industry does TONS of research to find just the right combination of ingredients to hit people's pleasure centers and encourage people to eat more and more of their food. I suspect part of that also reduces satiety. Perhaps it's the added sugar, difference in types of fats, some other additive/preservative, combination of all of the above or something else. But whatever it is, it encourages people to eat more because they're not satisfied -- and then you end up with all the overeating and obesity. Because obviously the overeating isn't a conscious choice -- people aren't saying, "man I really want to be fat!, let's eat more than I need!" You see how many people are really shocked by how much they're eating when they start to diligently count calories. Coincidence? I doubt it.

I think on a population level activity clearly makes a huge difference and you see differences between countries based largely on activity level (for example the US tends to have structural differences that makes walking less common than in Europe and obesity is less in areas where walking/biking vs. driving is more common). There is a difference in activity over the past 50 years. For myself, activity level tends to drive when I gain weight vs. not, which is not surprising as at a proper weight but sedentary my TDEE is about 1600, which is low.

But certainly I think food is the bigger part, but that's because I think that most humans don't have a natural stop mechanism when it comes to food (which is why I think intuitive eating is the wrong goal). Evolutionarily we ate when food was available and obesity wasn't an issue, so we had no reason to select for intuitive knowledge of when we are full. That's not even sensible if you might face a situation where food would be massively available for a day or so and then scarce. Historically we dealt with this (beyond simply food scarcity) through cultural restrictions on eating -- eating being highly regulated by culture, at specific times, in communal situations, governed by ideas about what should be on the plate. Even when I grew up, in the 80s, you had to eat your veg before getting dessert, fast food was for special occasions, dessert was rarer and at specific times, and soda was a treat, not a regular thing (and in much more reasonable sizes). We ate three meals and an after school snack (usually after being active) -- not constantly.

That cultural restrictions on eating are gone and people eat high cal stuff all day is the difference, not that people are truly hungrier, IMO. Eating has simply gone from being about nutrition to being about recreation or fulfilling other needs. Some people aren't susceptible to this and naturally regulate their eating, but it seems most don't.

The rest of us need to realize the issue and do what we need to do. (For me, it's mostly not snacking and being more active.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess one of the differentiations I take into account are what drives people to eat. For example I have two twin nieces -- they're growing up in the same environment and they have vastly different body types. Most people think that they're 2 years apart rather than the exact same age. One is probably in the 80+ percentile for weight and one is probably in the lower 20+ weight. And you started seeing significant differences around age 1.

Undoubtedly the bigger one eats more than the little one. But why? What has driven that? They have the exact same parents, grow up in the same household, eating the same things (though obviously one has always eaten more)?

There is at least one theory out there that it has to do with absorption of nutrients in food and/or the combination of so much of our food not being as nutrient dense as it used to be (at least in comparison to its caloric density). So, some eat more to get more nutrients because their body isn't absorbing/digesting them as effectively and along comes the extra calories. I don't know if there is any truth behind it, but definitely interesting to think about.

I guess I've just seen too many people like my twin nieces in the world to think it is as seeming simple as vismal posits. Yes, the heavier people are eating more -- but why? What is going on to shift to so much on an overall population level? The rates of obesity now are greatly higher than they were 50 years ago but there hasn't been that much change in lifestyles and activity in 50 years. Yes, perhaps some, but not really that much. We have a heck of a LOT more fat kids now than we did even 20-30 years ago. My guess is something is going on in our food chain that is significantly shift this. I know there has been a significant increase in sugar consumption, but it's hard to believe it's just that.

Not really that much difference in activity?
    I would strongly disagree.

What do you see as the great difference between now and 50 years ago or even 30 years ago for kids? We've advanced in technology somewhat, but it's not like we didn't have cars, trains and airplane 50 years ago or that everyone was a farmer then and now very few are (200+ years ago, sure, but 50 years ago?).

The amount of kids that walk/cycle to and from school has dropped drastically. Even for those who live close enough, only a small fraction actually do so. Recess is being cut from school. Gym isn't mandatory. Screen time is way up, which means less time for physical activity. http://epirev.oxfordjournals.org/content/29/1/1.full

Yes, all this.

I'm 45. Obesity for kids was extremely rare when I was a kid. We were forced to be quite active, even when I lived in a city where walking for adults was rare (driving friendly only). We also had our food restricted in various ways.

These days I see a huge disparity between classes. The upper middle class kids in my neighborhood go to a school that always has some outdoor activity going on and they are also commong biking around with their parents or the like. They walk a lot and are taken to planned outdoor activities. The result is much like what I grew up with. In the inner city recess doesn't happen and people might think walking around outdoors is unsafe. And parents probably don't have the resources to take you to various "let the kids run around" programs like are common for young kids here.

The kids in my neighborhood don't seem any fatter than the kids I grew up with (most adults are in decent shape too), but the childhood obesity rate across my city is much higher.
  • BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    [/b]

Yeah, save your $$$. For weight loss, it's really just calories in vs calories out. Eating less than you burn.

the question is...how much do you burn? (yes I know there are very generic TDEE calculators)

I like this article: (it really explains well that CICO isn't as easy as it sounds)
    http://evidencemag.com/eat-less-move-more/

In the end you have to have to do "trial and error" and measure "everything"...

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    But certainly I think food is the bigger part, but that's because I think that most humans don't have a natural stop mechanism when it comes to food

hqdefault.jpg

This hasn't been my experience at all - I don't want to eat once I feel full, and I do feel full, once I hit my macros/calorie targets (and did long before I knew what they were, i.e. by eating intuitively. I leave stuff on my plate all the time, always have). My "natural stop mechanism" only fails when what I'm eating is chips. I think it might hard to reach satiety with some ratios or foods. But when I'm eating an even roughly "healthy" diet, I get full at a certain point and stop there.