Am I Stupid?(wrist pedometers)

Options
I love the idea but how the hell does it work? I talk with my hands. A lot. How is a pedometer on my wrist going to know the difference between that and walking around?Do I have to swing my arms when I walk? I'm usually on the internet on my phone or reading when I walk between classes, so my arms don't swing. I don't get how a wrist pedometer could work at ALL but they seem to be a thing right now(fitbit jawbone etc)

I use a simple pedometer that clips on my pocket or waistband almost daily and love the idea of the bracelet ones that I wouldn't lose all the time. But do they work accurately as pedometers?

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    When i had one and i would rock my son every time it counted it as a step, and i wasn't walking....so in my opinion they are useless..
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    See that's what I was thinking..too bad :/ it'd be convenient if they worked
  • jackieeeb
    jackieeeb Posts: 2
    Options
    All pedometers work on accelerometer technology. They measure the differences in forward and backward motion assuming it's a step. The wrist pedometers measure arm swing relative to the step you've taken. It's assuming the motion is from you walking/running while swinging your arms. It can't tell the difference between your arm just swinging/moving or the actual complementary movement while walking/running. :) I hope that helps a little.