Feeling pretty down.

Options
Until today I was rather happy with my weight and the amount i've lost, nearly 2 stone, which is something I thought i'd never achieve. However, today my mum who has made comments about my weight before (when I was heavier) brought the subject back up today about how I needed to loose some more weight, knocking the confidence i've built up ( something i've always pretty much lacked) and made me feel much more self conscious about my weight now.

Just having a bit of rant to make myself feel a bit better but anything to cheer me up a bit would be great :)
And if i knew how to post pictures i'd post one of my figure atm haha.

Replies

• mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It is SO tough when family members or friends feel the need to be judgmental. What i've tried to concentrate on when I get negative feedback is the people that support my efforts: my boyfriend, family members who aren't insensitive idiots, etc. Look at all you have accomplished!! 25 pounds lost! Amazing! Keep up the effort and concentrate on your goals and what makes you happy. Best of luck!

Maggie
  • veganon50
    veganon50 Posts: 46
    Options
    Poor you - no wonder you felt down. But Maggie is right - 25 lbs is a huge achievement, and try to focus on this and surround yourself with positive and supportive people who appreciate your achievement, and remember that your Mum's negativity is her problem, not yours. You have so much to be proud of - well done!!
    You are my inspiration - I have only just joined and have about 2 stone to lose - so thank you for inspiring me!!
    Susan:
    :flowerforyou:
  • DocNorton
    DocNorton Posts: 43
    Options
    25lbs OMG WELL DONE !

Keep at it - you're doing it for you - not your mum !
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Congrat's on your lost so far!! Don't let anyone take that excitment away from you. You worked to hard to let someone else's view of you take you off course. No matter if people say your to thin or too big until your truly happy with you no one else's opinion count. Do what makes you feel good.

Parent's don't realize how there words hurt us and make us feel self conscious I'm thinking (mum) means mother if I am wrong sorry!! Still this is a very valid statement because my mom has done this to me and I am still fighting it til this day!! I find myself doing it to my kids not intentionally but I do so now I have to find ways of pointing things out and not making them self conscious at the same time!! Other people image and view is not always what's best for us!!

Bottom line if you feel good than continue what your doing your happiness is what count!! Plus you have already accomplished things you didn't even expect to accomplish so Kudo's to you!!!!
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    You are doing great!! Don't let this get you down. Sometimes other people load their issues with food on to us even if they don't mean to... keep being healthy and strong and making good choices!
  • ArmyWife815
    Options
    You are well on your way to achieving your goal. You've lost 25 pounds and your mum sees that and knows it. You didn't gain weight in a day and you will not lose it in a day. Continue with the healthy approach you are utiliziing and you'll get at your goal weight. Best wishes!!
  • terib67
    terib67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up, I cannot tell you how many times I would hear my aunts say I was "chunky" or overweight. Even my mom, who truly was wonderful, because she was so hung up on her weight, was really hung up on mine. I''ve always been very muscular, and played ALOT of sports, swimming, cheerleading, dance, figure skating, you name it. But I had muscular legs and a "ghetto booty" so to my mom, I was heavy. I know how hurtful that can be. Maybe your mom means well, maybe she doesn't, maybe she's a little threatened by your weight loss? Whichever, please hang on to all of your wonderful accomplishmenets, we're all proud of you!
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The people closest to you can be harsh some times but, as others have said, look at what you have acheived! I've lost the same amount of weight as you and I feel a million times better in myself, so if you are pleased and proud in yourself then carry that with you and ignore the negativity.

I think you look absolutely great! Keep up the good work.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Until today I was rather happy with my weight and the amount i've lost, nearly 2 stone, which is something I thought i'd never achieve. However, today my mum who has made comments about my weight before (when I was heavier) brought the subject back up today about how I needed to loose some more weight, knocking the confidence i've built up ( something i've always pretty much lacked) and made me feel much more self conscious about my weight now.

Just having a bit of rant to make myself feel a bit better but anything to cheer me up a bit would be great :)
    And if i knew how to post pictures i'd post one of my figure atm haha.

She probably made comments before because she cares about you and wants you to be healthy, however, making a further comment when you are obviously trying so damned hard AND succeeding to lose weight is very tactless of her in my opinion.

I am so sorry your self-confidence has taken a knock, don't let her views get you depressed though, you've got better things to think about than some stupid comment that was ill-thought out and completely uncalled for.

If she ever says something like that again, you best put her straight that yes, you are doing something about it and no, you don't need to be told what to do as you have lost a good amount of weight so far and know exactly what you are doing.

(Shame you couldn't tell her that her comment was totally unwelcome whilst you eat a doughnut or sommat :laugh: )
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    25lb is a fantastic achievement. I know it can be hurtful when someone close to you puts you down but you need to use the same strength that you used to achieve this fantastic weight loss to remind yourself how fantastic you are and how much you've achieved - you're a star! :smile:
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Losing 25lbs is no small feat and you should be proud of yourself! As much as family can lift us up, they can knock us down just as fast. I don't know what your mom is like, but I'd prefer to think that she has good intentions at heart. As for my own mom... She is the type who acknowledges an achievement or some positive thing about you, but then will focus on 'what could have been done better', etc. She's the 'That's nice, BUT...' kinda person. I love her and she truly means well, but she's just a critical person...though doesn't realize it. As I got older, I realized that I had to take her comments for what they were and just let them roll off of me. I find that with family sometimes you have to develop a thick skin. If it makes you feel better and you think it will improve your relationship, let her know how you feel next time (from the sound of things it will happen again). But, don't let her or anyone bring you down. Build up that confidence so you can continue to achieve what you want. Ultimately, it's your opinion of yourself that matters. Be proud of your accomplishments -we are!
  • lauraparkerrr
    lauraparkerrr Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Awww thanks you so much guys :) you've all made me feel a lot better. I'm not going to let this get me down and keep aiming for my goal :)
    Both my boyfriend and a friend have said pretty much the same things as you guys so I know it's nothing to worry about

Thank you all again :)
  • lauraparkerrr
    lauraparkerrr Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just because i've worked out how to do it...

8/9months ago...

DSC03851.jpg

Last month before prom (the sun was in my eyes hence the squinting)

P5210007.jpg
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    You look great! Don't let any one, not even a close family member, discourage you. The biggest accomplishment is just exercising in its self. You are taking a step in the right direction!!! You know you have accomplished so much. Maybe use the negative words as a motivation to keep up the hard work!