Stabbing pain when I back squat

Options
Hi everyone,

This started a few months a go, but it has happened again recently and I'm quite concerned. A few months a go I did some squats at around 70kg, half way during my second set I felt a sharp, stinning/stabbing pain here that had a burning sensation for about a minute after I stopped squatting (See picture): http://imgur.com/3vEy5ka

At the time, I didn't think much of it. I stopped squatting and went and did some leg press, extensions, hamstring curls and didn't feel any other pain so I just assumed I over did it on that day and just stopped.

I was the out of action from the gym for a few months due to personal reasons. When I went back again and attempted squats at around 50-60kg, the pain was immediately there. Doing squats at low weight is fine, but as soon as I start adding 15kg on either side the pain starts. Any advice?

Thanks.

Replies

• rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You need to see your doctor or a physiotherapist. Don't mess with your health.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Inguinal Hernia?
    (edit to add) Do you have the sensation with any other strenuous movement? Can you feel any bulging when you cough? That is one test.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend squatting now, but a form video would really help.

It could very well be a hernia.

Go see a doctor ASAP.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I was thinking hernia but that would hurt doing a lot of other things. Might have torn an oblique but that would have healed in a few months. So I'm back to hernia. Maybe. See a doctor.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Stabbing followed by burning I've always associated with a tear of some sort. See a doctor.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Edited because I misread the OP. Absolutely get it checked. I would associate that with a muscle tear. But could be one of several things.
    Best wishes :)
  • Brianwnetrzak
    Brianwnetrzak Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Probably a herniated disc, and its spilling out hitting your nerve when you squat...I've had one it's horrible...get it checked