How accurate are these body scan results?

Options
nn0a53.png

I went to this place where they offered this free service. They had me take off my shoes and step on a scale and this info came out. What does my body water % mean? Would someone with the exact same weight, height, and build as me have the same numbers? The lady asked me how many times I exercised a week and I said one, does that determine the 1906 calories a day?

I'm curious to see how true these numbers are because I've eaten a lot of junk recently, including multiple packs of Pop tarts and a whole package of Oreos in a day.

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My gym uses something similar. These scales use some sort of electrical impulse to give you those numbers. I had metabolic testing done using some sort of breathing machine last fall and my body fat percentage did come out different...higher. Because the type of scale we step on uses only the current in the lower half of our bodies and does not take anything above the lower body into account.

Another person your same height and weight will likely get different numbers, at least somewhat.

It looks like this machine gives you a TDEE number based on your results, I don't think it takes into account your exercise. TDEE stands for total daily energy expenditure...what you could expect to eat to maintain your weight.

I can't believe you eat all that "junk" and still only have under 10% body fat. Hopefully this isn't typical for you though, eating that way?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That is an incredibly inaccurate method that is giving you an incredibly inaccurate result. I've seen your pictures and you're not sub 10%. Also, the pop tarts you ate recently have very little to do with your results.

More importantly, the numbers from measurements like this have very little real world value. You either like the way your body looks or you don't.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That is an incredibly inaccurate method that is giving you an incredibly inaccurate result. I've seen your pictures and you're not sub 10%. Also, the pop tarts you ate recently have very little to do with your results.

More importantly, the numbers from measurements like this have very little real world value. You either like the way your body looks or you don't.

Yup, what he said. BIA scanners are notoriously inaccurate, ESPECIALLY at lower body fat percentages. There's almost no chance you're 9.7%. That's under essential body fat levels for women and you would likely have serious health problems if you maintained that for any length of time.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Wildly inaccurate. Last time I used one it said my fat *kitten* was 10.8% body fat. If you want a cheap and fairly accurate reading use calipers. If you don't mind spending more, go for DEXA or bod pod.