How long did it take for your mind to catch up to the scale?

Options
vespiquenn
vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am just curious of everyone's experience with this and the "I still look the same" mindset.

Most of us have lost weight where others notice, but we personally cannot see it. At 5'9", and almost 22lbs down, I can see differences in progress pictures easily. But in the mirror, I still see that 22lbs of fat.

I know my body dysmorphic disorder is at play after years of struggling to overcome eating disorders. But I often see others make this statement, and I'm curious what you tell yourself to overcome it. Sometimes, knowing that the weight isn't there doesn't help that self-perception.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It didn't take any time for me.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm from a tight 4x to a large/xl and I still feel like I look the same A LOT of the time. Pictures prove as reminders I'm not but you know, you have what you think of a bad day and still feel like you're back at the starting weight and then some. The mental side of weight loss is a real thing.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It did take awhile. I lost weight slowly so that didn't help I guess... 22 pounds came off in 6-7 months. That's probably around the time I "started" noticing. First 3 months and 10-15 pounds down I felt like I looked exactly the same.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It took a good few months. I have been at it for 9 months and lost about 86lbs so far. I just came across a video I took of myself doing a workout when I was much bigger and was absolutely shocked at how I looked. That big person is not me any more, it's like looking at a stranger.

I still have a big chunk to lose but it has really started to sink in in the last couple of months just how far I have come.

You already look quite small to me from your profile pic, I think it can be harder to see a difference perhaps if you are tall and not very heavy to start with? I'm 4'11" and was 256lbs.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' tall and down 120lbs and I'm actually surprised when I see myself. We don't have mirrors in the house. When I catch a glimpse of myself, I don't know who it is for a moment. I still feel 300+lbs. A friend and I were discussing the concept of "mentally fat" and we both acknowledged that we still think that way. I'm nowhere as close to fit as he is. I still have 80lbs to go. He's pretty much at goal, but doesn't see how fit he really is.

It'll happen, I hope.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It took me around 3 and a half months to notice any changes in myself - having said that, I have been known to be overly critical of myself so my mind may have been refusing to believe it before then. All I know now is, I'm feeling really good and I'm happy with the way things are going. I hope you are too :]
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten there yet. I've lost 23 lbs in 8 weeks and don't see any difference. The scale shows there is. I know my heart rate is under better control. I measured my waist this morning and have lost 5 1/2 inches in a month. I don't feel any smaller.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Still working on it. I know I'm smaller, being 104 lbs down, but things tend to stay a similar shape. Especially since I see myself in the mirror every day, there are definitely times where I feel a lot bigger than I am. I feel like I look a lot bigger than other women at a similar height/weight. Side by side progress pics help immensely - I waited for so long to take one, but it's a great tool.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It took me quite awhile, and when I look around a clothing shop, I keep going to the wrong size. I haven't been size 8 in so long, it almost feels like I don't believe it quite yet. I still have a long way to go to get where I want to be, so maybe that is part of it.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've been refusing to buy new clothes because I still felt the same even after 4months and a loss of 22.5kgs. However my husband and mother were like "your clothes are dropping off you, you need to treat yourself". So when I did go shopping this past week I couldn't believe the variety of clothes I was able to get into in the 'regular' rails. But I still have a long way to go. So I don't know what I'll feel or see when and if I reach my target.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Since I look at myself in the mirror every day, I wasn't seeing the difference. Looking at pictures didn't really help me either. But getting out my old clothes did.

I put on a shirt that used to be tight, elastic all stretched out, and it was so huge, the neck hole no longer covered my boobs.

My pants that didn't button because they were so tight, are 5 sizes too big.

So I keep a few things from my heaviest weight, just so I can look at them and remind myself how far I have come.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 70 and dont SEE it.

in pictures and clothes i do, but not in the mirror. ive just have to come to terms with that LOL
  • TOneHundredForty
    TOneHundredForty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 40 pounds and I still really have to really look at the mirror to see a difference.
  • Stacescotty
    Stacescotty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've lost 51lbs in the last 5 months and often don't see a difference but I agree with those who seen the difference in their clothes not fitting. -- 5'10" and 175, down from 226. 15 more lbs to go (at least).
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I still don't see it. I've lost 33lbs and gone from an XL to a Medium, and 36" waist to a 32". I can tell in the clothes I buy, but when I look in the mirror I still think i'm overweight. I've also had an issue with my torso (stomach and chest), and until that is gone (or more flat), then I won't be happy with how I look.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17 lbs. so far and I didn't really notice until 5 lbs. ago when my clothes began to feel comfortable instead of tight, and when I looked in the mirror I could see that they fit so much better, especially the tops. But I don't really feel it, it just feels like my clothes somehow changed, not me.
  • 717Shelly
    717Shelly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I am down 75lbs. It feels weird when everyone else comments on my weight loss when I look in the mirror and see no change.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It talks about your body image having an exterior and an interior. So you exterior body image says you are 5'2" that is factual. You can't dispute that. No one with say that isn't true...but your interior body image is more deeper. You can lose weight and still think you are fat. Its a matter is disconnecting your interior body image from your exterior. Its a nice article I came across last night. Just a tool to help how we see ourselves. I found it quite interesting :-)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just wrote something about that myself this morning on my FB page funny

I dont have a problem with how i see myself but after losing almost 110 pounds in 11 months my mind still seem to need time to catch up.

95069916.png