Running advice please

Options
I started running with a small group at my gym in April, and I've run once or twice a week most weeks since. With support and encouragement (and practice!) I have shaved about 4 minutes off my 5k time, and I can certainly do a much faster first 2k. The problem is that about 3k I get a sharp stitch in my back, shortly followed by feeling very sick. If I stop briefly it gets better, and I then I can carry on, slowing down doesn't seem to help.
Am I just setting off too fast. I want to improve my time (and distance) but feel like this is holding me back.

Any advice welcome.

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Try breathing naturally instead of in time with your step (often will give you a cramp/stitch). You can force yourself to do this by quietly singing happy birthday or something to yourself. If you can't do it, you're going too fast. Don't race for "best time" very often just work on getting it done more and more comfortably.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week is probably not enough. You have to build up mileage over the week in a series of short and slow runs (even for short races). Then when you get your base built up you can worry about adding things in to increase speed.

I suggest doing at least 3 runs each week. Do 2 or 3 short and slow runs and one longer (still slow) run. Do this consistently for a few weeks and you will be amazed how much further you can run and faster you will run your races.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    At present, how long are your 1 or 2 training runs each week?
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. At the moment mwyvr I run 5-6 km most times. I struggle to get out more than twice a week as I have a young family, and I try to do a gym session too. I have only done 2 runs since a 3 week break due to hols so maybe am being a bit optimistic. I will try and do another run on my own, even if just a short one. The guys I run with are considerably better than me, and have been very supportive, but I probably do go too fast as I am worried about slowing them down.
    I probably need to do some interval training too.
    Keep on plodding!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yep, running too fast. don't try and beat your time every run.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Forget about interval type training until you build up more. Steady and slow to keep injury free.

Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    1. More frequent easy runs (at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation) aim for 3 or 4 runs per week (every 2nd day)
    2. Aim for a negative split (ie faster 2nd half of the run) go out easier than you finish

• mwyvr
    Options
    @samthepanda What Brian said.

From what you've said you need to build up endurance - your faster first two 1km splits are evidence of that, even if you weren't having the pain and feeling sick. So slow *every* km down, especially the first two! Keep running a pace you can hold a conversation at. If it gets away from you and you find yourself gasping while trying to get the words out, drop to a walk for a bit and let recovery do its thing before starting again.

You might also consider putting in 1km of warm up before your run- brisk walk, slow run for 30 seconds, brisk walk - to get your heart rate up more slowly than just diving in. Worth a try.

Do you have any idea what your heart rate is hitting during runs? If so I'm curious to know where your HR is at in those first 2km, and where it heads to when you are feeling sick.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It sounds like you're going "all out" every run. It's a mistake many new runners make, myself included. In your situation it's made worse by the fact that you're running with faster partners. Perhaps you might be better off running alone and at your own, slower, pace for awhile.

There's compelling evidence to suggest that 80% of our training runs should be at a slow pace. If you do a web search you should be able to find a lot of articles written on that subject. Also, one of the easiest ways to get faster at first is to run further, not train at a faster pace. In other words, to run a faster 5K do 10K slow training runs. The extra endurance will help to make your shorter runs faster.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
  • samthepanda
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Yes, I always am guilty of feeling I have to go flat out every time - partly because my gym time is limited and I have to make the most of it. I felt the same would apply to my running too.
    Mwyvr I don't monitor my heart rate. Monitors don't seem to get an accurate reading from - hr monitors, blood pressure monitors or anything! I'm one of those weird ones! My heart isn't pounding, or doesn't feel like it is, but prob is high.
    I like running with the group as it keeps me going when I would give up, but I will try and get out for a short run tomorrow on my own and see how it goes.
  • samthepanda
    Options
    So tonight I followed the advice and did a brief warm up as mwyvr suggested, and started slower. I was with the group but our more competitive member was away, so I explained to the others that I wanted to start slower and they were fine with it. I made a point of chatting more as we ran to make sure I could still talk! No stops, and I even managed a sprint finish! Long way to go, but I feel more hopeful now as I was getting a bit demoralized! Thanks everyone.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    That's fantastic @samthepanda ! Use the talk-test to help govern your pace and if you are getting in a few runs a week regularly, no doubt this time two months from now you'll look back at significant progress.
  • samthepanda
    edited September 2015
    Options
    6k yesterday, slower start, lots of talk, no stops and I was surprised how (relatively) fast we had gone. And then I did spinning!
  • mwyvr
    Options
    +1 !
  • schorti
    schorti Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Very informative post! Great video too. I've saved the link to the video so I can quote him when people love to tell me where I'm going wrong (even the non-runners) Thanks peeps.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    Try breathing naturally instead of in time with your step (often will give you a cramp/stitch). You can force yourself to do this by quietly singing happy birthday or something to yourself. If you can't do it, you're going too fast. Don't race for "best time" very often just work on getting it done more and more comfortably.

This is very true. You should be able to carry on a conversation while running. If you can't because your out of breathe, then your going too fast.
  • samthepanda
    Options
    That's why I love this forum . Lots of support and helpful advice. Sub 28 minutes this morning, no stops! After stressing wasn't get any better, I followed the advice and slowed it down, and now it's got better.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Way to go @samthepanda!!