Will I lose weight by eating the caloric amount MFP recommends...

Options
Will I lose weight by eating the caloric amount MFP recommends or is that a recommendation with a hefty exercise plan? I live in chronic pain so sometimes I can only exercise for a few minutes before it becomes too painful

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Your calorie target has your deficit built into it. You should be able to lose without exercise. That being said, I strongly suggest getting a kitchen scale to measure your portions. It is much more accurate than eyeballing or using measuring cups. Even the weights written on packages are often off.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen

When you fill in the settings here on MFP then it gave you a calorie allowance and that is without exercise ( NEAT)
    When you eat around that amount ( you weigh all your food on a food scale) and log as accurate as possible...yes you will lose weight
    Faster slower all depends on your stats or and medical conditions but you will lose.

Exercise is on top of that. So when you do exercise you can eat a portion back of the exercise calories given.
    A portion because most of the time it is over estimated.
    A lot of people here eat between 25 to 75% back of their exercise calories

So short answer is Yes!

95069916.png
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yeah without adding exercise you are not giving yourself room for error. Get a digital food scale.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It's only about eating. Measuring accurately is key as many have pointed out.

If you don't relish the idea of measuring all your food, track your weight with a trending grapher and use its output to decide if you need to cut back. As long as you eat a consistent diet from day to day, this method is less effort for the same result.

Osric

Using my trend graph from trendweight.com, I can see that I have about a 900 calorie deficit. This means I am logging inaccurately by about 300 kcal/day. Doesn't matter, as I'm losing fast enough.

4w.png
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    trendweight.com looks overdamped to me - your actuals are all below the trend line ? off to geek out on it ....