Truth about cold cuts?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well they have sodium and nitrates, which aren't the healthiest thing, but in moderation, it's not a huge deal.

+1

And OP, it is perfectly normal for your weight to fluctuate day to day. If you ate the absolutely most perfect diet imaginable, one free of every possible demonized food, your weight would fluctuate occasionally, due to water weight, certain foods taking a little longer to digest, and other random bodily functions.

I usually pick up nitrate free cold cuts, sliced cheese, and those sandwich thins rolls once a month for a week's worth of lunches. Sammies are a comfort food for me, and it hasn't affected me yet :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I limit the amount of processed meats I eat and that includes lunch/deli meats. This has nothing to do with weight loss. For me, it's about the associated health risks.

I cook my own meat for sandwiches.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I really like the low sodium turkey breast from the deli.

You have to really read labels on packaged deli type meats. They are high in sodium. Even frozen turkey and boneless skinless chicken breasts have a lot of added sodium, so watch the labels if sodium is an issue.
    You may want to buy fresh (not frozen) to try to control added sodium.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    IF you do want to cut it out, what about roasting a chicken and slicing that down for your own lunchmeat? I personally use deli meats even if they are higher in sodium, but if you truly do wish to avoid them, a little prep on Sunday could still net you some nice wraps during the week!

This is what I do. I bake two to three (depending on what comes in the package) skinless, boneless chicken breasts at a time, and then use them for sandwiches and dinners for three or four days. I use the packaged turkey/chicken in between.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Turkey deli slices are harbouring secrets? What kind of secrets? Immoral liaisons? Compulsive gobbling? Do tell!

For this reason we need the NSA to keep a tap on our phone lines.

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If I really wanted to cut out deli meat (I don't eat much of it anyway) I'd just buy a turkey breast, roast it up, portion it and freeze it to use as needed. I do that with chicken breasts and it makes life easier.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    vmag54 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has removed cold cuts from their diet and noticed the impact? I saw a nutritionist recently who advised me to stay away from them bc of the high sodium. I am trying to follow her recommendation but a turkey wrap is my usual go to for lunch during work days so it is kind of tough.

I never ate them, so I can't speak to the benefit of changing -- I assume it's about sodium? However, I often roast a chicken or cook a turkey breast in the slow cooker to have meat to use for the week, and you could do that instead.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    if youre worried you could purchase a non-brined turkey cook it and then slice it yourself.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Boars Head and some similar brands have slightly less salt than other brands.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I don't normally use sodium micro, so turned it on to find the sodium content of the cold cuts I ate yesterday, and cracked up at the sodium content of the Pad Se Ew I made (2,872.) Altogether I was 2,287 over for sodium.

How quickly is a water gain retention from sodium supposed to happen? I was down a half pound this AM from yesterday.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    if youre worried you could purchase a non-brined turkey cook it and then slice it yourself.

^^The problem with turkey is a lot of the frozen turkey (breasts and whole turkey) is injected with a solution that has a lot of sodium. Watch the labels and buy fresh if possible. The same is true of boneless, skinless frozen chicken breasts.