Question

Options
I got a set of weights for my birthday. What I want to know is, do you really have to check with your doctor before starting weightlifting? I'll start slow of course.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you are under a doctor's care, have long term medical conditions, are obese, are new to exercise, yes.
    If none of those conditions exist, and you yourself can take responsibility for your actions, then start lifting.
    Go slow and light. Learn form before adding weight, and use an established routine to get the best results.

Cheers, h.
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    Options
    Thanks h. I think it will be best to check with my doctor first :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Good decision Belinda.
    Your doc may be able to refer you to a PT or a programme that will suit your abilities now, and allow you to move forward safely.
    When people on the forum refer to 'lift heavy' it is relevant to your abilities. If a 2lb weight is heavy for you, that is where you start; then, once that weight is no longer heavy, move on up to 5, 10, 15, etc.

Cheers, h.
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    Options
    My smallest is a 0.5kg that's about a lb isn't it? It also says to always have someone with you whilst working out but that would be impossible sometimes. Just hoping I get a decent doctor when I ring up. Thanks again for the great advice h.