how long do you keep clothes that don't fit you?

Options
I didn't know where to put this question, so this seemed as good a place as any. How long do you keep clothes that are either too big OR too small? I generally get rid of clothes once they're too big, but I have a closet full of clothes that are 2 sizes too small. When is it time to give up on them? P.S. I could use some friends. :)

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I keep the clothes that are too big :]
    The reason why I do this is so I can put them on when I'm having a day of self-doubt and it reminds me just how far I've come and how well I'm doing.
  • rfarm004
    rfarm004 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I keep them until I run out of space. I'm bound to gain or lose more weight eventually. Congratulations on losing 2 sizes!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I have one large item, rest goes as soon as they are too big, I have nothing to fatten back up into. Saying that once I am closer to goal I will probably hold onto some clothes, can come in handy at totm etc
  • Eldow1977
    Eldow1977 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've had a pair of jeans 2 sizes too small for about 3 years now and they are my first motivational step so I will never get rid of those. In saying that, my mum bought me a dress many years ago, it was a size 18 and I was a size 22 at the time and she offered to take it and change it but I didn't want her too as I wanted to fit into it. I'm now a size 26/28 but I feel more confident now then I ever did. Step 1 jeans, step 2 dress.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a similar thread on this in the general diet and weight loss section since I was wondering the same thing. My clothes are literally falling off my body but I don't want to spend a lot of money on new clothes since I still have a ways to go. At some point I will pack them up and donate them.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of clothes that are too large now in the closet. Even though I don't anticipate gaining the weight back, it is a little insurance to at least spare my wallet pain! I plan to give it a few years before donating or throwing stuff out.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've kept some of the more expensive bigger clothes like suits and dresses. I'm not actively planning to re-gain weight but if it happens it won't be because I kept clothes around. After several years though it's probably time to get rid of things.

If you have space for it and it's something you could reasonably see yourself wearing again, no reason not to keep a few things.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i got rid of mine after a few months, put some weight back on and wish i'd have kept of my bigger clothes...
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have been on the fat/thin roller coaster for most of my adult life. I've gone from 300 pounds down to 145 and then got pregnant one last time. I have been overweight since. She is 13. I kept my thin clothes until about 3 years ago, when we moved from NY to TX. i figured they were out of style now and, i can't cling to them like a crutch with hopes I would lose the weight. I need to just lose the weight and then buy new clothes.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Way too long...I'm convinced subconsciously that I will need them again one day....which turned out well lately, as I'm getting back into the smaller clothes again...lol!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Too long that's for sure.
    Mostly the favorites tho.
  • thisisit1232013
    Options
    I have been getting rid of my clothes as they become too big. I don't want to buy all new clothes because I still want to lose more but I realized I needed to get items that fit so that I don't put myself into a false sense of losing.

Trying on clothes was pretty hard for the first time. I hadn't tried on new clothes in 4 months and was afraid of picking things too small and making myself feel bad. I brought a size smaller than I was into the dressing room along with 2 sizes smaller. All I can say is wow it makes you feel great when stuff fits!!!

I still have a few items from before I lost to remind me that I don't want to go back and to show how far I've come.

Going to wait until I hit my "goal" and then put my wedding dress back on....Can't wait for that day!
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been getting rid of my bigger clothes, with the exception of a few shirts that I sleep in. Mostly because I don't have the space, but thankfully it hasn't crossed my mind once that I may need them again one day.

I'm so glad I held on to my smaller clothes since they finally fit me. It's such great motivation to put on a shirt that made me look and feel like an encased sausage and to see it hang off of me now. It's even more motivating than buying new clothes in smaller sizes. So I seriously encourage people to hold on to their smaller clothes.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I keep the clothes that are too big :]
    The reason why I do this is so I can put them on when I'm having a day of self-doubt and it reminds me just how far I've come and how well I'm doing.

This is a great idea. I think I'm going to try this.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I get rid of my clothes as soon as they are too big to wear comfortably. The only large sizes I have not gotten rid of are my T-shirts and sweaters. Those are comfy and can still look fine if they are oversized. I have a laundry basket that I put them in and when the basket is full I head off to the donation center.

A year ago I did a major closet reorganization. I sorted all of my clothes into 4 categories: "Now", "Sooner", "Later", and "Never Again". The "Never Again" were things that were already too big, clothes that were out of date, or styles I knew I would never wear. Those went to the donation center right away. The "Now" went into the closet and dressers and the others went into boxes labelled "Sooner" and "Later" (you know, the clothes I hope to get into sooner or later). Every few months, I went through the boxes and pulled out what could be worn right away. I now have all of the boxes empty but there are things in my closet that are still too small, but I have space for them so there is no reason to box them up. They are all hanging on the far end of the pole ready for when I get to goal.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I kept some bigger clothes when I lost weight before, but only because I planned to have another baby, so I knew I'd gain weight. I'm now at that stage where the bigger jeans are practically falling down, and the smaller ones give me a muffin top, so hopefully in a couple of months or so I can get rid of the bigger jeans. No more kids lol. I also kept some clothes, like sweater dresses, that are fine with leggings/tights even if they are a bit too loose.

Some of the smaller clothes I have in my cupboard are from about 13 years ago. I kept the really nice ones (stuff I bought pre-mortgage, pre kids etc) like Levi's, CK jeans, Ted Baker etc. They fit me after my 2nd baby and some of them fit me again now.