Cardio vs Cardio/Weight Training for weight loss.

Options
13»

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    limitles wrote: »
    Lifting does throw off the scale numbers from day to day. For example, every single time I squat, the scale goes up 2 pounds because of water retention. I usually have my best weigh in day after a rest day or two. But I can tell by the way my clothes fit that I'm losing fat and it does eventually show up on the scale.

After a while, you should notice the trends of when you are retaining water because of the lifting, then the smaller numbers won't bug you as much.

Weight loss is the long game, so have realistic expectations and stay consistent. There are going to be people that lose weight faster and slower than you, it's irrelevant, you will get to the finish line if you keep going.

Cardio should be done after weight lifting because it exhausts your muscles and makes you more prone to injury because of fatigue. It won't give you as much muscle stimulation. Cardio is about burning calories and gaining endurance, which can be done even with tired muscles.
    I like these four paragraphs. Other than that cardio after leg day makes me so very sad, but it is what it is.

• SunshineGirl351
    SunshineGirl351 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    limitles wrote: »
    Lifting does throw off the scale numbers from day to day. For example, every single time I squat, the scale goes up 2 pounds because of water retention. I usually have my best weigh in day after a rest day or two. But I can tell by the way my clothes fit that I'm losing fat and it does eventually show up on the scale.

After a while, you should notice the trends of when you are retaining water because of the lifting, then the smaller numbers won't bug you as much.

Weight loss is the long game, so have realistic expectations and stay consistent. There are going to be people that lose weight faster and slower than you, it's irrelevant, you will get to the finish line if you keep going.

Cardio should be done after weight lifting because it exhausts your muscles and makes you more prone to injury because of fatigue. It won't give you as much muscle stimulation. Cardio is about burning calories and gaining endurance, which can be done even with tired muscles.

Wow, thanks!
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This is a very informative post. I currently work out 7 days a week with 4 days of weight training (2 upper body and 2 lower body) with 20-30 minutes light cardio (total workout 1 hour) and then 3 days of just light cardio (elliptical) 45 minutes. Plus I walk as much as I can to reach 10,000 steps. I've lost 4.4 lbs in 2 weeks, but now I might rethink weight training before my weigh in day. I didn't realize I'd be retaining water. Is there any way to prevent that? Maybe drink extra water or tea for a diuretic?

Weight lifting is important to me in addition to cardio since I've lost SO much muscle over the years from yo yo dieting I'm now 40% body fat and little muscle. I need to preserve whatever little muscle I've got left LOL.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    This is a very informative post. I currently work out 7 days a week with 4 days of weight training (2 upper body and 2 lower body) with 20-30 minutes light cardio (total workout 1 hour) and then 3 days of just light cardio (elliptical) 45 minutes. Plus I walk as much as I can to reach 10,000 steps. I've lost 4.4 lbs in 2 weeks, but now I might rethink weight training before my weigh in day. I didn't realize I'd be retaining water. Is there any way to prevent that? Maybe drink extra water or tea for a diuretic?

If you are consistently weight training before your weigh-in day, it shouldn't really make a difference. Example:

Day 1: 150 lbs, do weight training
    Day 2: 152 lbs, official weigh in day
    Day 8: 149.5 lbs, do weight training
    Day 9: 151.5 lbs, official weigh in day
    Day 8 - Day 1 = .5 lbs lost
    Day 9 - Day 2 = .5 lbs lost

And everybody is a bit different but what matters is the downward trend.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its just basic cico if you really grasp it, then you can see that as long as the result is that you are at a deficit, then you will lose weight. Its the deficit that matters not where it comes from.

When to start resistance or even a lifting prog? It depends where you are, do what you can manage but dont be afraid of lifting, even the lightest weights. Id start as soon as you can and combine it with your cardio.

3x a week all body imo but what you can manage at first.

Weights before cardio imo as thats the time when you need to give max effort.

If you wnat to do cardio then realise it takes a lot, but it cna come in quite handy. Plenty of people never go near a gym but complement their food deficit with just walking a lot using a fitbit, 5-15,000 steps a day. Even though its a slow pace it adds up.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

If you are consistently weight training before your weigh-in day, it shouldn't really make a difference. Example:

Day 1: 150 lbs, do weight training
    Day 2: 152 lbs, official weigh in day
    Day 8: 149.5 lbs, do weight training
    Day 9: 151.5 lbs, official weigh in day
    Day 8 - Day 1 = .5 lbs lost
    Day 9 - Day 2 = .5 lbs lost

And everybody is a bit different but what matters is the downward trend.

Thanks!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    hproctor02 wrote: »
    Question: I work out in the gym about 5 days a week doing weight training followed by HITTS and then I have 2 days just for cardio. I haven't been loosing near as fast as I thought I would. I also see women my weight loosing weight like crazy just doing cardio such as walking or biking.

I have been documenting/ measuring my food pretty religiously and drinking plenty of water so I can confidently say I don't think it is my diet.

Is it normal that weightlifting slows the weight loss process? I have always seen the combo of weightloss and cardio as "optimal for weight loss."

Yes. And there are a few different reasons for this. One is that weightlifting often burns less overall calories than cardio so unless you're making up for it either in diet or other activity (like lots of walking), it's harder to create as big of deficit with lifting only. Many will adjust their diets to compensate or do a lot of low impact exercise like hiking or walking. But it does take more time.

Another factor is that weightlifting (and hitting protein goals) has been shown to preserve LBM/muscle in a caloric deficit. This means that you'll hold onto more of your muscle when you lose weight. The downside of this (though it really isn't a downside) is that it takes longer to lose the same amount of weight given the differences in muscle versus fat. Fat releases about 3500 calories per pound. Muscle releases somewhere between 900-1700. So for the exact same deficit, if you're losing more muscle, you'll drop weight quicker. This is why generally people who just do cardio will drop weight quicker because they're losing a higher percentage of muscle. You can end up with the dreaded skinny fat (i.e. good weight but high fat percentage).

So, it looks good on the scale but isn't very good for your body composition. It's better to lose more slowly and preserve as much muscle as possible (by lifting heavy and hitting protein goals) than lose quickly and lose more muscle.

• limitles
    limitles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    [/quote]I like these four paragraphs. Other than that cardio after leg day makes me so very sad, but it is what it is.

[/quote]

Thanks! I train legs 2-3x a week and cardio afterward sucks. Your body will adapt to it though and it will get less sucky over time, especially as you get lighter. I can say that switching to cardio afterward has helped me get better and stronger in squats.
  • SunshineGirl351
    SunshineGirl351 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Since recently coming back to MFP, my current plan for cardio is to jog/fast walk on trails about 5 days a week. I have been trying to log 4 miles each time, so far so good. But after reading the comments here, I'm not as concerned with the scale as I was prior to finding this thread (knowing it will all work out in the end). My concern for the scale is why I stayed away from lifting.

Anyhow, I'm going to keep my form of cardio (jog/fast walk) and add lifting (total body) on my off days, plus one other day (total of 3 days). I think my body could use the lifting anyway to help prevent injuries while I'm on the trails.

I love being outdoors, but when it gets cold, I'll have to bring my cardio inside. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

In the meantime, thanks to you all, I have a better plan. :smile:
  • limitles
    limitles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »

Weight lifting is important to me in addition to cardio since I've lost SO much muscle over the years from yo yo dieting I'm now 40% body fat and little muscle. I need to preserve whatever little muscle I've got left LOL.

I wouldn't worry about it, you are really looking for a downward trend. When you get to your goal weight, it's really going to be a range as you cannot be the same weight everyday. There are a couple apps for measuring this, like happy scale, where you put your weight in everyday and it charts a trend line so you know you are going down despite the flux.