sandwiches?

Options
I tend to eat a sandwich of some type for lunch - usually either ham or turkey. In order to keep the calories down I've been wanting to cut out the mayo, but cannot stand a dry sammie! Mustard is OK sometimes but really not something I WANT to eat.

What do you put on your sandwiches so they're not dry - if anything? Looking for tasty alternatives..

PS - can't do the low fat/no fat mayo either - that stuff is just awful! Thanks.

Replies

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    avocado makes a sandwich less dry.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    hummus or a wedge of Laughing Cow
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I use the Kraft mayo made with olive oil. It's fewer calories and doesn't taste like the fake light stuff.

Other ideas: laughing cow cheese wedges, cream cheese, avocado, barbecue sauce, horseradish sauce, chutneys, pickles or relish, etc.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ketchup? A little herb-infused oil? Hummus? Butter? Maybe some salad dressing or Miracle Whip lite? Add veggies for moistness, like lettuce, tomato or whatever you like.

That's all I have, lol.

Maybe you could try moister bread. If you don't already, try making your own and find a moister one that you like. The stuff in the stores is SO dry.

I do eat sandwiches on occasion, but I don't get enough nutrient bang for my calorie buck there. Usually, I have PB, which doesn't need any help.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There are so many delicious mustards -- maybe try some others to see if they excite you more?

Hummus or a chutney are other ideas.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Butter
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like mayo mixed with a little mustard. I can cut back on the mayo because it's full of flavor.

Veggies make a nice addition too. Shredded carrots and sliced cucumber....yum.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I went-off on a tangent and dumped the bread (it's dry) - I use "Flatout" flat-breads for yummy roll-ups. By dropping the 'size' of the bread slices, smaller portions of mayo, mustard, Greek-cream cheese (yum!), pickle relish seems to keep things from going "dry".

http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/flatout-healthy-grain/multi-grain/ <-- they have other varieties, this is one I like. If you go with 70-cals/slice of wheat bread (140 for a 2-slice sammich?), then one "Flatout will save you 40-cals and should provide similar protein to two bread slices.

Since these Flatouts offer 'less dry volume', I usually work with a quarter of a typical avocado mashed, or a little less mayo (0.5-TBSP of mayo is calorie-neutral) to keep things happy.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'd just try to cut down the amount you're using if you can. If that doesn't work then try the avocado approach.
  • Renzi27
    Renzi27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like the avocado idea - these all are great suggestions. Mixing mayo and mustard - that sounds good too! Thank you!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Tahini sauce, avocado, hummus, mustard or a fruit jelly ( low sugar ) will be 50% or less of the calories for the same amount, if you pick smart choices.

Other options like ranch dressing, olive oil, butter, etc wont be a significant savings of calories.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a mix of mayo and mustard. Also, tomato slices and/or grilled onion or mushrooms add a lot of moisture.
  • eyeamAnne
    eyeamAnne Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Maybe you could try moister bread. If you don't already, try making your own and find a moister one that you like. The stuff in the stores is SO dry.

Yes! This! I make wheat bread and my family loves it!! The stuff at the store really is too dry for my taste.

I also add a little bit of mayo on one side and plenty of juicy tomato slices on the other (never Roma tomatoes, all of the other varieties are awesome)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Chipotle sauce is best sauce.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I mix olive oil mayo (it's the best light to me) and picamas. Yum!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    mayo is one of those things i refuse to do 'light'

i use a japanese mayo and that IS the only option. i do use LESS than i used to... but i still use it ;)

okay i lied - in things like tuna or potato salad... i will use dukes regular mayo. but im not eating it so i dont care (my good stuff is pricey LOL)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I just use a smaller serving of full fat mayo. If I can't "afford it", I use a light laughing cow cheese wedge.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've started replacing my Hellman's mayo with Inglehoffer Cream Style Horseradish Sauce. Sweet, but good, with a zip. It has 30 calories in a tablespoon versus 90 for Hellman's, and 2 fats instead of 10. I also like roasted red peppers to add sweetness, fiber and moisture, and lots of avocado.
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    pickles
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I call it "avocado mash" -- use a fork to mash avocado and mix it up with diced onion, diced tomato, torn basil leaves, and sliced black olives. It looks a little weird, but it is awesome on a turkey sandwich.