Fat Burn? Cardio? Peak????!

Options
If you're just going to tell me I'm stupid, go away. If you'd like to try to help me out with my confusion, I'd love to hear what you have to say :]
I recently got the Fit Bit Charge HR, and I'm sure that the heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate, but I'd like to think it's at least close. When I look at my heart rate for my time on the elliptical, it will tell me I spent this many minutes in the fat burn range, this many in cardio and this many in peak. What exactly does this mean?? I feel like if I work harder, I'm sweating more and I'm burning more calories...but I want to burn fat. So does that mean I should be slowing it down to stay in my fat burn range? I almost feel like I'm being a lazy *kitten* when I'm trying to keep it in fat burn range, like I'm going really slow and not putting much effort in.
Any help is appreciated :]

Replies

• Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi there. The fat burning zone is a myth. You want to burn as many calories as possible. Here is one link that explains it pretty well:

www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/the-fat-burning-zone-myth
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'll try and clear this up for you.

To lose fat, you eat in a caloric deficit; this is where you eat less calories than you need to maintain your weight. This is fat burning.

If you do a cardiovascular activity like running... you burn calories. I believe the fitness industry says "this is the fat burning zone" and "you are burning fat when you run!" - they're just referring to calories.

It doesn't matter what exercise you do if you eat in a caloric deficit... you will lose weight. Count on it.

As long as you're doing something and making progress, you're doing good.

• AshleyMFitness16
    AshleyMFitness16 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It's a myth as pointed out by xtrain. Its total calories burned that matters.
  • AshleyMFitness16
    AshleyMFitness16 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    That's what I figured but wanted to check and see what other people had to say too.