Question about IIFYM and Exercise Calories

Options
Looking for some advice here... I just redid my calories and macros based on the IIFYM website and recommendations. To lose weight, it gave me about 1700 calories per day based on what I entered. I said my job is sedentary, but I work out 6x/week at a moderate level for an hour.
Since my allotted calories changed based on the exercise that I inputted on the IIFYM website, I assume that I'm not supposed to eat back my exercise calories. However, today I'm supposed to go for a 7-mile run as part of my half-marathon training, so that would put me at a net 700 calories for the day (assuming I burn about 1,000).
Should I eat some of those calories back? How many?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You're not sedentary. Re-adjust the TDEE calculation and see what amount of calories it gives you.

Or you could use the MFP method instead.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Looking for some advice here... I just redid my calories and macros based on the IIFYM website and recommendations. To lose weight, it gave me about 1700 calories per day based on what I entered. I said my job is sedentary, but I work out 6x/week at a moderate level for an hour.
    Since my allotted calories changed based on the exercise that I inputted on the IIFYM website, I assume that I'm not supposed to eat back my exercise calories. However, today I'm supposed to go for a 7-mile run as part of my half-marathon training, so that would put me at a net 700 calories for the day (assuming I burn about 1,000).

Burning 1000 cals for 7 miles seems a little on the high side? How do you measure your burn?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    You're not sedentary. Re-adjust the TDEE calculation and see what amount of calories it gives you.

But my job is sedentary... I thought that's what the IIFYM calculator was based on. I just work out about an hour a day (a little longer on long run days).
  • deluxmary2000
    Options

Burning 1000 cals for 7 miles seems a little on the high side? How do you measure your burn?

I don't usually measure my burn since I don't usually eat back my exercise calories, but now that my mileage is increasing I wanted to see so I used the "mapmyrun" calculator which gives your burn based on your speed, weight, age, and height. I realize it's only an approximation at best, but even if I only burn 700 (which is probably a low estimate), I would still only net 1,000 calories for the day.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I'm a bit confused. Are you eating 1700 calories and your exercise calories?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

But my job is sedentary... I thought that's what the IIFYM calculator was based on. I just work out about an hour a day (a little longer on long run days).

I'm no expert with TDEE but I'm sure it accounts for all of your activity?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're using the TDEE method (what IIFYM calculator uses) then you are supposed to include all of your activity, including exercise in your activity level...thus your target would include an estimate of the calories required to fuel all of your activity. If you exercise, you aren't sedentary...IIFYM isn't based on your job...your targets are as per your TOTAL Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE).

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) whereby your calorie target is derived from your "normal" daily activity...i.e. your job, etc. Exercise is NOT included in your activity level and thus not included in your calorie targets...it is "extra" activity that is not accounted for...thus why you log it and get calories to "eat back".

the difference between methods is simply where you account for exercise.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I don't usually measure my burn since I don't usually eat back my exercise calories, but now that my mileage is increasing I wanted to see so I used the "mapmyrun" calculator which gives your burn based on your speed, weight, age, and height. I realize it's only an approximation at best, but even if I only burn 700 (which is probably a low estimate), I would still only net 1,000 calories for the day.

But if you're using a TDEE calculation not MFP method, then it doesn't matter What you 'net' because on non exercise days you're eating more than you really need so it evens out over the week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    However, today I'm supposed to go for a 7-mile run as part of my half-marathon training, so that would put me at a net 700 calories for the day (assuming I burn about 1,000).

If you put in the information correctly I would not unless you are really hungry or feel like you need to. It averages over the week and being under on one day doesn't matter.

I've been doing lots of long endurance training and I ended up changing to a modified TDEE approach where I ate a little less as my base and ate back some calories on the longer days, but I don't think that's necessary -- I trained for a half marathon last fall at a deficit without doing that, but just sticking to TDEE. Just watch how you feel and that you aren't losing too rapidly, as sometimes those calculators underestimate if you are doing tons of hard cardio.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    This is why I have stuck with the NEAT method through both weight loss and maintenance. I run half marathons, so depending on where I am in my training plan, my exercise calories can vary pretty drastically. I lost all of my 40 lbs while eating 50-75% of my (RunKeeper generated) exercise calories with MFP's recommended intake for a 0.5 lb/week loss.
  • deluxmary2000
    Options

But if you're using a TDEE calculation not MFP method, then it doesn't matter What you 'net' because on non exercise days you're eating more than you really need so it evens out over the week.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    However, today I'm supposed to go for a 7-mile run as part of my half-marathon training, so that would put me at a net 700 calories for the day (assuming I burn about 1,000).

If you put in the information correctly I would not unless you are really hungry or feel like you need to. It averages over the week and being under on one day doesn't matter.

I've been doing lots of long endurance training and I ended up changing to a modified TDEE approach where I ate a little less as my base and ate back some calories on the longer days, but I don't think that's necessary -- I trained for a half marathon last fall at a deficit without doing that, but just sticking to TDEE. Just watch how you feel and that you aren't losing too rapidly, as sometimes those calculators underestimate if you are doing tons of hard cardio.

Ok thanks! This was what I was wondering. Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Ok thanks! This was what I was wondering. Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well.

But you do need to recalculate your TDEE to include exercise
  • deluxmary2000
    Options

That does include my exercise. TDEE is 2118 with 60minutes 6x/week. For fat loss, the IIFYM recommended calories is 1694.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

That does include my exercise. TDEE is 2118 with 60minutes 6x/week. For fat loss, the IIFYM recommended calories is 1694.

How many pounds do you have to lose?
  • deluxmary2000
    Options

I'm not dead set on a number, but about 20-30 lbs... I'm at 181 now and originally wanted to get down to 150 (I'm 5'11").
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The number actually balance out to average about the same weekly if you actually account for your calorie burns within a few 50 or so.

But if you're doing eat backsies from NEAT/MFP method- then you need to be VERY judicious about your estimates- meaning only eat back a portion of them- not all of them.

as for running- I want to safe a safe estimate is like 100 calories per mile- Map My Run gave me 1600 for my ten miler yesterday- technically at 100/mile- that's only 1000.- 600 is a pretty hefty difference obviously.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I'm not dead set on a number, but about 20-30 lbs... I'm at 181 now and originally wanted to get down to 150 (I'm 5'11").

15-20% deficit sounds about right then.