Working out amounts of food

Options
Wondering if anyone can help me figure out - a jar of peanut butter is 100g, so all the nutritional info is for 100g, how do I work out the info just for 1 tablespoon? I am trying to gain weight and need to know how many calories I am getting in. Thanks

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    There should be more than one entry for the peanut butter. Which exact kind are you looking for? You could look online...try thedailyplate.com.
  • joneswife09
    joneswife09 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone can help me figure out - a jar of peanut butter is 100g, so all the nutritional info is for 100g, how do I work out the info just for 1 tablespoon? I am trying to gain weight and need to know how many calories I am getting in. Thanks

It should say that the nutritional value is for I'm guessing 2 tablespoons. Is that what the serving size is? If it is then the nutrition would be for 2 tablespoons so divide everything in half and you'd have one tablespoon. I've never known them to only include the nutrition for the whole container. You might look a little closer to see what the serving size is.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Are you in the UK? I have had this problem too since most the packages do not give an actual serving size. What I did was weigh the spoon then put the peanut butter on and weigh again subtracting the amount for the spoon. Weighing in grams. You should then be able to select just 1 gram and enter how many grams it weighed and that will give you a serving size.
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm looking at a jar of "natural" peanut butter. It's 16oz, or 454g net wt. A tablespoon, or 16 g, is about 100 calories. A suggested serving size is 2 tablespoons, or 32 grams, which is 200 calories. There are 14, 2 tbsp. size servings in this jar.

Hope this helps you figure it out. Good luck
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of conversion charts online for units of measure! Just google!
  • mubblegum
    mubblegum Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll see if I can figure it out.
    As someone said above - for some reason I've noticed UK packaging is quite annoying.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree, UK packaging can be super annoying like that! In the UK, a tablespoon is about 15ml which should mean that the weight of whatever you put in it will be 15g or less. I would estimate 20g though unless you measured it with an actual UK (because other countries are different) metric measuring spoon. So I would divide the per 100g nutrition info by 5 to get per tablespoon.