6 lbs in 1week?

Options
TiddlieWinks
TiddlieWinks Posts: 12 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!

I am wondering if anyone has experienced losing 6lbs in 1 week. I currently weigh somewhere around 179, but when I checked the scale it now says I'm at 173.

Im worried because I know it's healthy to lose 2-2.5lbs per week, but all of a sudden I dropped 6lbs.

For reference I am 5"9 and started at 185lbs about 30 days ago. I eat 1200 cals a day, and work out 3x per week.

Several years ago I lost 40lbs through the same means (MFP and working out) and this hasn't happened before.

What are your opinions? Ive been asking friends and colleagues about it, and they think it's just water weight.. But I'd love some other opinions too.

Cheers, and good luck on all of your weight-loss journeys!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    And they would be right> water weight and some fat. Weight loss is not linear :)
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight! I gained about 5 pounds from Saturday to Sunday, and that was pretty much all water weight. This morning, I was back in my normal weight range.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Did you have a dramatic change in diet from last week? Like, more sodium last week? More carbs? Where are you in in your menstrual cycle? There are a lot of factors. It's probably just water weight. In the 4 months I've been at this consistently, I've seen 7lb loss one week, a gain the next, stalls, small loses, big loses...
  • TiddlieWinks
    TiddlieWinks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Did you have a dramatic change in diet from last week? Like, more sodium last week? More carbs? Where are you in in your menstrual cycle? There are a lot of factors. It's probably just water weight. In the 4 months I've been at this consistently, I've seen 7lb loss one week, a gain the next, stalls, small loses, big loses...

No ive been doing everything the same.. No major change in anything lifestyle wise since i started dieting /exercising a month ago.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    6 pounds of fat loss would be a calorie deficit of around 21,000 calories. You either ate nothing and did a lot of exercise last week or you simply lost a bunch of water suddenly. :smile:

My understanding of how fat cells empty out involves them filling with water as you lose fat and then, when they are ready, emptying the water. Many people report not losing anything for awhile and then suddenly, whoosh! A couple of pounds are gone in a day. More than likely, it was something like that.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't knock it! ;)

Our bodies do all sorts of strange things. In my first week of tracking, I lost 6 pounds. I'd say your loss has a nice big percentage of water involved but a loss is a loss - and in my opinion, 6 pounds is a cause to celebrate! Well done.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    6 lbs every week would be bad. 6 lbs one week is just the weird way our bodies work. Don't be upset if next week you don't drop any weight.
  • pegastarlight
    pegastarlight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too worried about it. When was the last drastic change in your exercise routine? When you start doing anything that affects your muscle groups, they begin to retain more blood, water and glycogen which will cause a rise in over all weight. This takes 2-4 weeks for your body to regulate out, so you may one week have a significant drop. This can happen any time you introduce movement to a part of your body that wasn't originally being used much. I know some people who've seen even more drastic weight swings because of this. If you're logging your calories and know the math only adds up to 1-2 pounds per week, it's probably not anything worth worrying about unless you continue to see a drastic drop in body weight over time.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Its a woosh. Don't 8 surprised or disheartened if you don't lose anything for a few days or weeks though.