Sugar

Options
I have big problems with watching what I eat. Any examples of what not to eat? And what I should be eating? Diet suggestions?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that you like in portion sizes that fit your goals.

Get plenty of fats & protein for healthy and satiety.

Get plenty of fruits & veggies for the micronutrients.

Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs, sweets, and treats as you see fit.

There are no foods that you must avoid, just like there are no foods that you must include in your diet. You may find as you progress that there are some foods you don't consider worth the calories, but that's going to be highly individual. Start logging for a few days and make changes as you go along until you find what works best for you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with sugar as long as you don't have a medical reason to avoid it. Your body processes all sugar the same whether it be from fruit or a candy bar so there aren't "good" sugars or "bad" sugars. The difference is what comes along with the sugar. Fruit is obviously better than a candy bar since you're getting fiber and healthy nutrients, too.

Use MFP as it's designed. Track everything you're eating and validate what you're entering it by measuring it accurately. The most accurate way to measure food is to weigh it using a kitchen scale. Cups and tablespoons are better than nothing but the calories in a cup will vary by how big the pieces are, how tightly you press it into the cup, etc.

You can eat whatever you want to eat if your goal is merely to lose weight. You just need to stay right around your calorie goal every day. So, you could keep eating the same things you've been eating up until now, just eat less of them.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that you like in portion sizes that fit your goals.

Get plenty of fats & protein for healthy and satiety.

Get plenty of fruits & veggies for the micronutrients.

Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs, sweets, and treats as you see fit.

There are no foods that you must avoid, just like there are no foods that you must include in your diet. You may find as you progress that there are some foods you don't consider worth the calories, but that's going to be highly individual. Start logging for a few days and make changes as you go along until you find what works best for you.

^^ What she said. Especially the bolded.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with binge eating, what I do to help portion control is not having the foods that trigger binges for me in the house. I'm not saying I never eat them, but I only eat them when we're eating out or buy/make enough for one family night. I have five children and a husband at home, so half a batch of cookies, with sending leftovers to my husband work is perfect.

I don't like the after taste of savory dishes, so I've been keeping altoids in my purse to pop in my mouth after eating or if I'm craving something. Hard candies that I suck have also helped. Brushing my teeth after eating at home is another strategy.

A packet of stevia in my favorite herbal tea in the evening helps me wind down in the evening and gives me something to do instead of thinking of what's in the cupboards.

So if you can easily moderate yourself, then you're good, just Track track track. If you struggle with overeating sugar, you'll have to figure out what works for you, what I mention above is just a few strategies that work for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. What works best for me is eating foods I like while sticking to a well balanced high fiber diet. This allows me to enjoy my food, have treats now and then, and not feel hungry often.