How do you manage sleep deprivation?

Options
I'm really close to my goal weight, 66 pounds down and 8 lbs (or so) to go. I have 4 young children, including an 8 month old infant, and even though I feel tired a lot of days I always manage to have energy to work out and working out gives me more energy so I like to do it. 3 weeks ago my infant had surgery and ever since then he barely sleeps at night. Which means mama barely sleeps at night. I average maybe 5.5 hours a night, not in a row. At first it was ok, but after this past week I am really struggling to get the energy to work out. And I'm exhausted all during the work out, and don't tend to feel as energized afterwards. Napping doesn't really help me, it honestly makes me feel more tired afterwards. At this point I just have to assume that eventually this phase will pass and baby will sleep again but until then, it's tough trying to motivate myself. Feeling tired tends to make me feel snackier too for some reason. So I'm snacking more and not working out has hard.

Are others in the same boat, either because of kids or something else?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've been through 4 kids myself. Coffee is my go-to. Good luck -- I hope your baby is recovering well.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sleep is more important than exercise. Insufficient sleep will inhibit your ability to lose weight. The calories you normally generate in that exercise can easily be accounted for by eating fewer calories. Honestly, until this passes I'd suggested using your exercise time to sleep, if you can.
  • tmsix
    tmsix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids all born within 4yrs 8 mths !!!

Yes, I didn't even think of fitness during that time so well done for even considering it, and yes I was a walking zombie during the children's younger years.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Ugh I'm sorry about the surgery and loss of sleep. I would go to bed as early as possible at night and let exercise temporarily take a back seat. Sleep is just so vital right now. I hope the tide changes soon.
  • kallemann67
    kallemann67 Posts: 92 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I agree with @SueInAz completely. And this comes from years of ignoring that. I used to stack my hierarchy this way:

1. exercise
    2. eat
    3. sleep

Now it's

1. eat - with calorie and nutritional goals in mind.
    2. sleep - to recover from daily stress and have clear mind and body for the next day.
    3. exercise - in the amount I have planned however remain flexible according to the success of 1 & 2.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I generally get bitchy to the point where my husband will volunteer to take our boys alone so I can get some sleep. I also get all weepy and cry a lot when I hit a certain level of sleep deprivation. Since I'm normally super stoic verging on insensitive people just start volunteering to help.

I also drink a lot of coffee.

sorry to hear about baby. I hope he's ok.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Sleep is more important than exercise. Insufficient sleep will inhibit your ability to lose weight. The calories you normally generate in that exercise can easily be accounted for by eating fewer calories. Honestly, until this passes I'd suggested using your exercise time to sleep, if you can.

This too.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    What works for me tends to be ice cold water not caffeine. I also tend to avoid the higher carb foods because it sets me into snack mode and naps were just a nightmare for me during this phase of life so I didn't bother. What I learned to do was use some of the time that I couldn't sleep to do things like food prep, laundry, grocery lists and so so. Sometimes the act of the chore would help me sleep more sound when I did sleep because I didn't have the extra stuff on the brain.

It may be wise to cut yourself some slack. If working out is more difficult then work to control your foods a bit more. Balance it out the best you can. Sleep when the option is there and sometimes the best sleep is done in a recliner so don't stress over always having to sleep in a bed.

You luck to you and your little one.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I do have insomnia. Over the past 6 months I increased my nightly sleep by 50% by removing my computers and other electronic devices from my sleeping area, which diminished the amount of light I sleep in.

I eliminated some trigger foods like dairy (esp. cheese), caffeine, high sugar fruits, etc. for about 2 months and then added them back judiciously. I try most nights to turn off all electronic devices and TVs about an hour before I go to sleep (not always good at this).

I still need to add about 2 hours to get to REM sleep. I'm going to ask my dr. on Wednesday for additional help, but not medications.

I developed insomnia during a difficult time a few years ago. Hopefully, by the end of the year I'll be getting closer.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this was all really good advice and stuff I needed to hear. I am fortunate that on the weekends my husband is really good about letting me sleep in. I am also realizing that I NEED to go to bed earlier. I always say I'm going to, but once the kids are all in bed I really enjoy my downtime in the evening. But right now sleep is more important. I'm going to do better about listening to my body and if it's really telling me not to work out, I won't. I did take yesterday off of working out for that reason
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this was all really good advice and stuff I needed to hear. I am fortunate that on the weekends my husband is really good about letting me sleep in. I am also realizing that I NEED to go to bed earlier. I always say I'm going to, but once the kids are all in bed I really enjoy my downtime in the evening. But right now sleep is more important. I'm going to do better about listening to my body and if it's really telling me not to work out, I won't. I did take yesterday off of working out for that reason
    Yes. Prioritize sleep above all else. :) Doing so could change your life.

• carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have 2.5 yo twins, and recently they both had headcolds and coughs for weeks on end. If one wasn't sick, the other was.My husband suffers from Rheumatoid arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis with a twist of Thyroid issues.. he doesn't sleep well and often his disruptive nights affect me. I've only regularly been exercising in the last few months as the girls nights have improved since they moved to big single beds from toddler beds.

I go to bed at 9pm. And my alarm is set for 545am to get up and exercise. If I get a very broken night, I often just switch off my alarm and try to go back to sleep. I then focus more on my diet until I start getting more sleep.

Sleep is my priority, then diet, then exercise.

Sorry to hear your little one is unwell. Preserve your energy and sanity, then it will be better for everyone. Xx