Protein Powders In Savory Applications?

Options
Is it something that's done? Adding them to savory foods like veggies soups, sauces, baked goods, or mashed taters/veggies, scramblee eggs, etc.? Kind of like the add-in fiber powders. I just ask because I've only really seen them as flavored drink mix types.

Any tips, recipes, suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• ajm_uwe
    ajm_uwe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tend to use in desserts more e.g. protein Cheesecake or fluff but there are savoury recipes too. Just seems a waste adding protein to a meal with protein in already (like eggs)
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you get an unflavoured one, I see no reason you couldn't. For example, Quest has a protein powder deliberately designed for baking. I've never tried it, though.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    chocolate flavored protein powder mixed in with pancake batter is delicious.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There's unflavored protein powder, but really... I just don't see the point. Just have some chicken or beef jerky.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You could make High Protein Meatloaf Muffins (main ingredients are ground beef, an egg, breadcrumbs):
    http://www.stack.com/2014/08/19/meatloaf-muffin-recipes/
    Directions

Start with 1 pound of meat (turkey, lamb, beef, chicken).
    Add an egg and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs for a binder and get creative with mix-ins and sauce (BBQ, marinara, ketchup, mustard).
    Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
    Fill with the meat and mix-ins combination, and brush with a light coating of sauce.
    Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Checkout the protein pow website for heaps of ideas for savoury and sweet protein cooking. Recipes are grouped by powder or recipe type and she has lots of info on substitutions and protein types etc. She has things like mac and cheese, savoury pies, pizzas, soups etc.

http://proteinpow.com/
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Random thought. If you could find one with a neutral enough flavor, mashed potatoes!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Random thought. If you could find one with a neutral enough flavor, mashed potatoes!
    That would be my idea of heaven. :mrgreen: I have some plain powder. Definitely worth a try. Thanks.
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    That would be my idea of heaven. :mrgreen: I have some plain powder. Definitely worth a try. Thanks.

Wouldn't it give the mashed potatoes a funny texture? If anyone tries that I'd like to know how it goes.

I didn't realise you could add protein powder to hot things, I thought it would alter the protein. I wonder if i could I add some to banana bread.
  • gmallan
    Options
    vegangela_ wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »

Wouldn't it give the mashed potatoes a funny texture? If anyone tries that I'd like to know how it goes.

I didn't realise you could add protein powder to hot things, I thought it would alter the protein. I wonder if i could I add some to banana bread.

There are so many recipes for protein banana bread floting around. It's definitely ok to cook with protein powder

• vegangela_
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »

There are so many recipes for protein banana bread floting around. It's definitely ok to cook with protein powder

This is life changing.
  • gmallan
    Options

This is life changing.

Checkout proteinpow.com for a good place to start with protein baking
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Hey wow, thanks so much for all the responses. I've realized through this thread that there are many more powders than I thought. I had no idea about pea powder and brown rice powder and unflavored whey powder. That proteinpow site gave me some great savory ideas.

And yes, I don't see why it wouldn't work in mashed potatoes or squash or the like. Stoked!
  • vegangela_
    Options

This is life changing.

Checkout proteinpow.com for a good place to start with protein baking