Hypothyroidism while losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI, in many communities in the United States, separate T3 supplementation is not within the standard of care. Neither is Armour. There are doctors that will prescribe it, but you might have to search a bit. My current provider is very adverse to prescribing T3 which is fine for me currently because T3 supplementation was causing some issues with my TSH balance (I suspect that I have some pituitary axis issues that are slowly being resolved with other meds). That said, T3 was extraordinarily helpful when I went hypo through ablation and even some of the endocrine organizations that generally oppose T3 supplementation have begrudgingly opined that there's no harm in trying it. My endo before I came to this provider was a strong believer in it. If you are in the US, and in one of the communities that doesn't like it, be prepared to look for a doctor that will prescribe it or ask for a trial of it. I don't know how it is viewed in the UK or other countries but I would love to know.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm also have an underactive thyroid and am on 100mg of gold shield levo. I find depending on level of exercise and freq depends on what my TSH is like
    Last set of bloods came back at 4.2 told by Dr OK within normal range even though I function best when it's at low end 1.25. Make sure you're not drinking Coffee within an hr of meds as it can also affect absorption. I hope you find some success soon.
  • tamarapennycooke91
    Options
    Hello,
    I am new to MFP and I've been trying to lose weight. I had a total thyroid removal due to nodules growing on the gland causing swelling.
    Even though that was nearly two years ago I'm still finding it hard to find the energy to workout and lose weight.
    I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism as I tick all the boxes for that but I was wondering if there is anything else I need to consider. You advice and feedback is so appreciated ☺️

Sounds pretty horrid! I have an under-active thyroid, and at the moment it's a bit awry. In order to try and lose weight whilst being freezing cold - but maybe one of these ways will work for you too.

Hello
    Thank u verymuch for your reply and information
    I will definitely try the prunes loool and I do drink peppermint tea a lot during the day.
    I also have the shevers especially at night but being I'm England doesn't really help lol.
    A lot of replies that I get from this blog is that u should try taking natural medicines that are for the thyroid.
    I would love to try these but I went to the doctors a couple days ago and he stated that it's not recommended I England but I think thats due to the lack of knowledge in England
  • tamarapennycooke91
    Options
    Just as an FYI, in many communities in the United States, separate T3 supplementation is not within the standard of care. Neither is Armour. There are doctors that will prescribe it, but you might have to search a bit. My current provider is very adverse to prescribing T3 which is fine for me currently because T3 supplementation was causing some issues with my TSH balance (I suspect that I have some pituitary axis issues that are slowly being resolved with other meds). That said, T3 was extraordinarily helpful when I went hypo through ablation and even some of the endocrine organizations that generally oppose T3 supplementation have begrudgingly opined that there's no harm in trying it. My endo before I came to this provider was a strong believer in it. If you are in the US, and in one of the communities that doesn't like it, be prepared to look for a doctor that will prescribe it or ask for a trial of it. I don't know how it is viewed in the UK or other countries but I would love to know.
    Hello,
    The natural Medstead is something that I would love to try but unfortunately it not available in England as my doctor has stated to me a few days ago
    Looks like I will have to try another route to find out.
    Thanks for the info
  • paganflossy
    paganflossy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im in the UK and its very hard to get NDT here- its not approved for NHS prescription so you have to find a Dr that will do a private prescription for it..usually that means a private Dr on top of your private script cost. I couldn't find a doc that I could afford to go private with but I eventually got referred to an endocrinologist who prescribed T3 (Liothyronine) alongside my thyroxine.
    It has helped with the sympton side in that I dont feel as awful as on T4 only but Im not 100% all the time.