Workout Fitness Plan for Beginners?

Options
I have been looking around on the internet for quite a while but I can't seem to find anything that I am looking for exactly. I am trying to find a fitness plan, that is relatively low impact, (for health reasons) that I can follow. I don't care if its 5 days a week or 7 I just really wanted to start getting in shape and getting strong but don't really know how to start.

I am 23, 5'4" and 127 lbs. I could lose another couple pounds but really, I am fine with that, I would just rather focus my energy now on getting fit and strong. I am the meaning of the word beginner. Although I am not a big person at all I am super weak. When I mean super weak, I mean I can't do a real push-up, I did an aerobic video on wednesday and my legs are still sore (its saturday) I am an all around mess.... I have an elliptical machine and weights, 1-20lbs and weight bench (my boyfriends) Is there somewhere I can start, something I can begin to build off of? I am tired of being the little weakling that I am but I don't want to try to take on something way above my level and fail and get discouraged. I am really determined to do this and I don't want anyone to even recognize me next year. NEED ADVICE!

Replies

• kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting a video, a weight lifting program at the gym, a cardio/running program?
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    JM Ripped in 30. It' relatively low impact in cardio. You won't escape push ups but it's a crul life. :smile:
    Start with 1 lbs weights and progress as you feel comfortable with them.
  • z4dow
    z4dow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 yo, 5' 2" and before 5 months i was 144 lbs and in the same fitness condition with you. Plus my life style was sedentary.
    I started walking. Every day. Adding distance slowly.

After 3 months i was walking about 25000-30000 steps a day. I was feeling better every day and stronger. Before 2 months i started 30ds (i was tried it at March and i almost died the first week and didn't continue) and finished with real push ups and the most part of it with the advanced exercises.

Now i 'm starting weight workouts, i'm 109 lbs and in the best form of my life.

The best exercise is one you'll stick with.
    Find something you like and start doing it for fun, results will follow. :)
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I should clarify that I am looking for all around fitness, so lifting, cardio and general strength training. Also, I am in no way opposed to do (or trying to do) pushups, I just physically cannot do them. I had a bit of a botched epidural 5 months ago and it feels like my spine is going to snap everytime I try one. My doctor said it will just take time to heal and eventually it will pass.... Anyway I do walk... a lot. I go on walks with my mother in law all the time and sometimes the walks are as long as 4 or 5 hours. I have no problem at all with that but still do not feel strong at all.

Should I start with trying to run or jog, or basic lifting, aerobic exercises (that are at my level)? Should I make my own work-out plan schedule? I just don't want to do it wrong and impede my own progress and I also would like to make sure that I am working out all parts of my body system and not over doing one part and forgetting another.

Just want to do this right:)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Here you go... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

Great beginner's 12 week program.

Also this would be a great read for you... http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

And lastly after your 12 week beginner course move onto some strength building with either:

Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5

As for push-ups... they suck. So easy to slip a cervical disc if you aren't keeping your midline straight and your head/chin tucked in. Bench press will help with that until your are stronger. Of course you could always just do the push-ups on your knees to take some of the strain off your back.

Good Luck...
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    ^
    Excellent :D Thank you very much!!
  • geraldvilloria
    Options
    I recommend the 7-minute workout, and do it daily. You can read about it here:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/?_r=0

If you're super-motivated, do it 2-3 times daily whenever you have 7 minutes to spare. Modify for your current fitness level, so if you can't do a pushup, do them on your knees, etc. This workout should be HARD, though, and you'll be exhausted after it's done.

If you have an iOS device (iPhone or iPad) there's a free app that will help you with the timing queues so you can do the workout without a chart and stopwatch.

Or you can do it in the same room as your PC with this website: http://www.7-min.com/