• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    A diet with a calorie surplus.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I started eating low carb high fat and I noticed a lot of muscle gain. Also working out a lot too.

(Edited by mfp mod)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ntinkham88 wrote: »
    I started eating low carb high fat and I noticed a lot of muscle gain. Also working out a lot too.

(Edited by mfp mod)

There is a difference between seeing you muscles (from lowering your body fat and glycogen depletion) then gaining new muscle.

OP, a surplus is needed to gain muscle but be prepared to gain fat as well.

No one particular diet is best, except for the one that will allow you to hit your calorie goal. Protein should be around 1g per lb of lbm and you should have a lifting program that is focused on compound moves that is progressive in nature. Also, i recommend reading the stickies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

psulemon wrote: »
    ntinkham88 wrote: »

(Edited by mfp mod)

There is a difference between seeing you muscles (from lowering your body fat and glycogen depletion) then gaining new muscle.

OP, a surplus is needed to gain muscle but be prepared to gain fat as well.

No one particular diet is best, except for the one that will allow you to hit your calorie goal. Protein should be around 1g per lb of lbm and you should have a lifting program that is focused on compound moves that is progressive in nature. Also, i recommend reading the stickies.

this

and good luck bulking on a low carb diet...my lifts would go in the tank ..
  • brushmate
    brushmate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 6feet 3 inches and weight 16 stone I want to build muscle Iv. Been eating 3200 calories 350 g carbs 320 G protein and about 60 g fat is this enough ?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    brushmate wrote: »
    I'm 6feet 3 inches and weight 16 stone I want to build muscle Iv. Been eating 3200 calories 350 g carbs 320 G protein and about 60 g fat is this enough ?

Maybe...are you gaining weight and progressing in your lifts?

I'd probably also not necessarily recommend eating that much protein - you can get by just as well on probably somewhere around 200 g at your size.
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    brushmate wrote: »

Maybe...are you gaining weight and progressing in your lifts?

I'd probably also not necessarily recommend eating that much protein - you can get by just as well on probably somewhere around 200 g at your size.

I would agree that is a lot of protein and anything 1g per lb of lbm is not necessary. But at 224, i am not sure you would be lean enough to maximize muscle gains. If you have higher body fat, your body is more inclined to add fat as compared to muscle. Its why most people shouldnt bulk until they are at least under 15%.
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Consume more carbs and maybe less protein.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Low carb, moderate protein, and high fat.
  • valzoka
    valzoka Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is so hard! I have to eat 2150cals and 150g protein a day so I can get some muscles! Almost impossible for me to eat that many cal! Ofc clean cals
  • psuLemon
    Options
    valzoka wrote: »
    This is so hard! I have to eat 2150cals and 150g protein a day so I can get some muscles! Almost impossible for me to eat that many cal! Ofc clean cals

Calories are the most important thing during a bulk, so if you struggle to get them from "clean" sources, then get a little dirty. Its ok to get 90% of you caloriws from nutrient dense sources and the rest from junk. In the end, if you want to gain, then calories are a must. Balancing macros and nutrients is secondary and most people can easily address nutritional requirements furing a bulk.