Sore and protein?

Options
So I'm just wondering, I am quite sore right now and thought If protein is needed for muscle building, could it possibly shorten the length of DOMS?

Or maybe it's a preventative approach? Or does it really do nothing but give your muscles the means to get stronger and bigger?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    it aids in recovery and repair...but as DOMs go, they improve with time and consistently putting in the work. in another week or two your DOMs will be substantially diminished. That said, I'm almost always a little sore...not new to working out sore, but I'm usually sore most of the time.
  • ShyPanda93
    ShyPanda93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So does that mean I should not consume extra protein( like a shake) until I'm focused more on muscle gain instead of fat loss?
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    a good rule of thumb is 1 gram / protein per pound of body weight when cutting. I drink BCAA's to help with DOMs personally, but a good night's sleep does about the same in my experience.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    a good rule of thumb is 1 gram / protein per pound of body weight when cutting. I drink BCAA's to help with DOMs personally, but a good night's sleep does about the same in my experience.

1g/lb is a bad rule of thumb, as the highest proven amount to provide benefit is 0.82g/lb. And even then, 0.82g/lb is enough for those genetically gifted body builders. Even 0.65g/lb is enough for the average body builder. 0.36g/lb is enough for the average person.

If you want to eat 1g/lb, go right ahead, but it tends to be the most expensive macro and in my opinion the least tasty. If you want to cover everyone with a single suggestion, then 0.8g/lb covers everyone, but is still overkill for many.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Doubt it would lessen the time of the DOMS (the body can only rebuild so fast), but a bit of extra protein would help take advantage of the muscle-building stimulus of the micro-tears in the muscle.