traveling, no kitchen, fast food all around

Options
2»

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    A lot of fast food restaurants have healthier options now. Salads with low calorie dressings and wraps.

This was going to be my suggestion. Although I imagine there are other options aside from Fast Food where you are (you are traveling, so maybe that's all you've seen), if you absolutely must eat fast food, there are plenty of fast food chains that have healthier options these days. Most of the nutrition information can be found online.

Additionally, fast food is fine for weight loss, as mentioned, as long as it fits within your calorie goals. If you are concerned about nutrition, then see my first paragraph.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would look for places that have a fair amount of healthier choices-Panera (watch out for some of their dressings and such, but you can customize almost their entire menu, especially if you go off-peak and are polite), Chipotle/Qdoba (again, watch the obvious stuff like sour cream, cheese, etc).

You could also ask your hotel if they could provide a mini fridge and microwave, and with a little hunting you could probably stock it with oatmeal, yogurt, etc.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Most places even a fast food restaurants have healthier option. Research the eating options available. I always buy fruit and walk with protein bars when traveling just in case as well.

As stated you can still incorporate fast food within your calorie allowance. Worse case is to eat at maintenance.

I also walked with my exercise dvds last time I traveled and worked out in my room as the gym was under renovation at the hotel. YouTube also has tons of workout options.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Subway. Get a 6 inch turkey on wheat, no cheese, w/plain yellow mustard. 280 cals.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I call shenanigans on a city that "only has fast food restaurants".
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What, you've never been to McDonaldsLand? BKVille? TacoBellBurg? :p
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

You've not been to rural Texas, then. Some towns are basically one intersection. Business is a gas station and, if you're lucky, a Dairy Queen.

Granted, not too likely anyone's been sent there on a business trip. Or that someone would be unable to just drive to the next town ...
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I used to travel for work for 4-6 weeks at a time, to random cities, and stay in a hotel room where at best I had a mini-fridge and a small microwave. I never really struggled.

Even if you have to go the fast food only route, it takes a little more planning (to make sure you're getting your macros/micros or even just to stay within cals) but it's totally do-able, especially in the short term. I lived off Tim Hortons for an entire week in Saskatoon; lost 2lbs.

Basically; look into the options that are geographically closest to you; look at their nutrition menus and find what best fits your goals. If you do have a mini-fridge and microwave, even if you have to cab to the closest grocery store, it'll be worth it. Stock up on some fresh fruits and veggies (that you enjoy uncooked or steamed), grab something prepared like a cooked, full chicken that you can shred for sandwiches, or to microwave as a main for dinner, or even grab some frozen meals.

You got this.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add-a lot of places now let you research your meal ahead of time and customize it to get a calorie count. Last night my wife called on my way home from work and asked if I could grab Chipotle for dinner, and I was able to get a burrito bowl for under 500 calories by following their customizable online menu. That makes life easier too.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You can find healthy options in a lot of fast food places now. Here are a couple of my go-tos:

Chipotle - bowl with half rice, beans, double meet, sprinkle of cheese, no sour cream
    Panda Express - Half rice/half mixed veggies, double teryaki chicken

Even Taco Bell has a fresco menu.
  • TMacKtwenty4
    TMacKtwenty4 Posts: 3,256 Member
    Options
    Pita Pit is fast food and it is a way healthier alternative to Subway. Just load up on the veggies and skip the sauces :-)
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I travel from time to time as well, and usually, even the small towns have at least a Subway or McDonalds.
    Just have to know what to get! Sometimes I even get a kids fry at McD's with my delicious salad.
  • LaurenEIngram
    LaurenEIngram Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get the Taco Bell Cantina Bowl with chicken about once a week from the food court near my office. It's 490 calories, and has 29 grams of protein. They also do a steak version, or you can get the burrito version. It's insanely filling.

My best strategy when traveling is just take some time to plan ahead.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    > Pita Pit is fast food and it is a way healthier alternative to Subway.

Care to back that up?