Brown rice / not tasty at all / how do you cook yours?

Options
Hi guys, how do you cook your brown rice for a no fail delicious tasty meal?
Every time I make mine, 1 cup dry, 1 cup water in the ricemaker, it goes all icky tasting and not nice at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    if not using it, add a little salt in water.. are you cleaning the rice first? if not do so.

my rice cooker makes rice perfect when i use 1cp of each however depending on the grain size, one cup of water can be too much so you have to go by the one cup 'line' in the rice container itself.. I am not really a brown rice fan, i only make it for my hubby because i personally think it is icky tasting even when cooked right!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here.

http://pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704969/

I'll never go back again. There's a little butter in this.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The ratio is generally 2:1. Water to rice. I think you need more water.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I use chicken stock instead of water.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1.5 cups brown rice
    2.5 cups water
    After it has cooked for for one hour in the oven, remove cover.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe.html
  • skinnymeenae
    skinnymeenae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make mine in a pot. First I soak it in water overnight, sometimes I forget about it and it soaks for two nights, that's fine too. I make one cup and add one and three quarters cups of water, half a tablespoon of salt and usually 2.5 tablespoons of olive oil, sometimes I try less oil.

I let it cook on low heat and once it starts making cracking noises I move the rice especially scraping the bottom so that it won't stick and then turn off. I love the taste, and now I'm mixing it with quinoa which I cook separately.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I always use 2 cups of brown rice, 3 cups of water and add 2 tbsp of chicken seasoning.I also like adding cayenne pepper to give it an extra kick. But I also cook it in a rice cooker.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use chicken stock instead of water.

This. Tastes so much better with chicken broth than water.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    nixism wrote: »
    Every time I make mine, 1 cup dry, 1 cup water in the ricemaker, it goes all icky tasting and not nice at all. Am I doing something wrong?
    Do you like brown rice? If not and prefer white rice, that's fine. The nutritional value isn't that significant and calories are the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TrailBlaznMN
    TrailBlaznMN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Add ghee. Thank me later.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Do you like brown rice? If not and prefer white rice, that's fine. The nutritional value isn't that significant and calories are the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    True, the nutritional value isn't much different but I love the nuttier taste of brown rice. The brand I buy is pretty good. As mentioned, by others I cook half water and half chicken broth. I also soak my rice in water overnight, rinse and then cook as directed. I soak all my oats, beans and nuts before using.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    You can also toast the rice a little bit first. Either in a little EVOO or butter. I sauté a little onion and bell pepper at the same time as I am toasting the rice. I also use low sodium chicken stock instead of water.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Another vote for white rice. I prefer Jasmine and Basmati.

Brown rice tastes like dirt and the texture is off-putting, too.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

I agree and I feel the same way about whole wheat pasta. Yuck!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of stews with brown rice in my crock pot. I cook all of the meat, veggies, seasonings, etc. About 30-45 minutes before serving, I will add the rice and make sure I have enough liquid for the rice to absorb (1 cup liquid for each cup dry rice), adding more water or broth if needed. The rice cooks and absorbs the tasty liquid in the stew so it ends up much tastier.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Sounds like the problem is a lack of seasoning.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1tsp olive oil, 1/2 cup peas, simmer 20 min. covered, rest 5 min..
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options

I can only really tolerate jasmine. basmati gives me the creeps.
    Everyone knows the highest application of rice is risotto... ;)
    I also like forbidden (black) rice. It takes a while to cook but the flavor is great.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

I can only really tolerate jasmine. basmati gives me the creeps.
    Everyone knows the highest application of rice is risotto... ;)
    I also like forbidden (black) rice. It takes a while to cook but the flavor is great.

Wild rice is easy to get around here (yes, I know technically it isn't an actual rice). I love the nutty flavor and bit of crunch I get from it.