Considering a bulk, have a few questions.

Options
I've been losing weight at a slow pace for the past year, and have dropped about 12 KG(22 pounds) so I'm now sitting on the 25 BMI mark (I'm 160cm, or about 5 "2, weight 67.4KG, and female). I'm starting to think about adding some muscle so I can get the usual toned look, so I can be physically stronger, and find it easier to shed more fat if/when I lower my calories again. However I don't know much about 'bulking', and I haven't been to the gym in months, since I wanted to focus more on cardio workouts instead of strength training.

I understand a small calorie surplus is needed, and I will gain fat regardless, but I don't wanna undo all my good work at the same time. I've seen that you need to have closer marco records (0.8 protein per pound, and some fat, the rest is carbs), but does it matter a lot of you go over/under these figures?

Since I'm female, I wont be able to build muscle like a guy would, but how much muscle can a female who is not used to lifting build? Should I pick a weight on the scales and just build until that point and cut again? How many times should I go to the gym per week and how long should my sessions be? Can I just use the machines there or should I focus on free weighs/ bench lifts?

I apologize for all the questions, I've read the links at the top and a few other pages but I still a bit confused, I understand I'm the only one who can decide when to do these things, but I wanna be healthy about this and not do any damage to my body/get overweight again

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I wouldnt bulk just yet since you have almost no lifting experience. If anything, i would start a structured lifting program (like strong curves, strong lift, NROL4W ) and probably have a small or no deficit. On top of that, i would start researching how to bulk (sticky is a good place to start).

Most programs will be 3 to 4 days per week (if you want you can do cardio on off days). I would either use a barbell or free weights. I am not a fan of machines as they dont engage as many muscles and the range of motion on some can be bad.
  • pokesushi
    pokesushi Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I wouldnt bulk just yet since you have almost no lifting experience. If anything, i would start a structured lifting program (like strong curves, strong lift, NROL4W ) and probably have a small or no deficit. On top of that, i would start researching how to bulk (sticky is a good place to start).

Most programs will be 3 to 4 days per week (if you want you can do cardio on off days). I would either use a barbell or free weights. I am not a fan of machines as they dont engage as many muscles and the range of motion on some can be bad.

Thankyou for your help! :) Working out on a maintenance level does sounds better since I wouldn't have to worry about gaining anything right away. And I'll see if I can get a trainer to help me lift weights, I generally stick to the machines because I know you can hurt yourself with free weights if you don't do them properly, and I have some lingering knee problems so I don't wanna put to much pressure on them.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I will do strong lifts, ICF 5X5, starting strength. These are great beginner programmes. Bulk process is wonderful and I'm loving it! The strength you gain is just wow!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    pokesushi wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

Thankyou for your help! :) Working out on a maintenance level does sounds better since I wouldn't have to worry about gaining anything right away. And I'll see if I can get a trainer to help me lift weights, I generally stick to the machines because I know you can hurt yourself with free weights if you don't do them properly, and I have some lingering knee problems so I don't wanna put to much pressure on them.

You can hurt yourself on any machine that isnt used correctly. Using free weights and barbells engages a lot more much (stabilizers), so they are more beneficial. Getting a PT is a great way to learn form. Also, start slow and light to ensure form is right.