I really need some advice :(

Options
shants_
shants_ Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2015 in Getting Started
I can't seem to start a diet. For years and years and years I always try to start diets but I've never made it more than 1 or 2 days :(
I can't control my impulses. I binge eat food at the end of the day and I know its bad and I still do it and I'm getting to the stage where its impacting my mental health :(
I just can't diet and I don't know what to do :(

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    Options
    DON'T DIET.

Change your lifestyle.
  • shants_
    shants_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change is the same thing as diet to me.
    My 'diet' just involves me trying to eat healthy foods and drink mostly water and I fail every time :/
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Don't diet.
    Change your habits, one baby step at at time.
    Start with something healthy for breakfast. Stick with that for a week or two. Then make lunch healthier... change your snacks etc.
    Log everything you eat, so you can see the impact of that high cal eating. Maybe that will encourage you to cut out the crappy food, or at least reduce the amount.
    Changing habits takes time and work, but in my opinion it can be a better way to get started than to try to change everything at once.
  • lighteryew
    lighteryew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as a diet..I just realize i am special and can't eat like normal people. I try to think about what I eat and try my best to eliminate all grains, substitute Stevia or honey instead of white or processed sugar, and starches or root vegetables are not something I eat often...a good high protein shake within an hour of waking up helps a lot...and no diet sodas just water or tea with lemon and honey..I try to drink this all day...I am not sure what I weigh now because I have not been following this as close as I could...and I do take one day a week for a free day when I'm sticking to it...I began this weighing 445 lbs. 2 years ago and during the process discovered I have hypothyroidism. ...it is a life change for me that is harder than quitting smoking and that took 2 years once I set my mind to it...you have to get in the mindset to get healthy ....
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    shants_ wrote: »
    I'm getting to the stage where its impacting my mental health :(

I sincerely hope you don't take this wrong, but I think it may be the other way around. Perhaps your mental health is the underlying problem, and one of the symptoms is your overeating. Have you considered seeing a therapist to help you determine why you binge, and get some guidance about controlling your impulses?

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My 'diet' just involves me trying to eat healthy foods and drink mostly water and I fail every time :/

if your goal is lose weight, you don't need to eat healthy foods, drink lots of water and stop eating everything you like. You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. Maybe you won't fail if you just count calories.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest OP weighs and logs everything, without cutting anything back, for a week. Maybe seeing the reality of it all in black and white would help. Then, follow the amount of calories that MFP says but plan the day so that most calories are available for the end of the day so that the impulses are accounted for.

OP seems to have deleted their account.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    For years and years and years (almost 20) I was also unable to "diet" I too never made it more than one or two days either. I struggled (still do sometimes) with binge eating. I thought, I had to eat only "healthy" foods and drink water. I thought the only way to lose was to restrict certain foods. I thought it had to be some sort of punishment. Then one day, thanks to MFP and research I had an epiphany. I could still eat whatever I wanted as long as I ate less than I burned! If I figured out the amount of calories I should be eating in order to lose weight, and I counted those calories, I should lose weight. It was simple math. It worked! I lost 123 pounds, still eating foods that I loved and have kept it off for a year and a half now. The truth is, you can lose weight doing low carb, low fat, etc. etc., but it's still because you are eating at a caloric deficit. If it sustainable for you thats fine. For me, I love eating a wide variety of all kinds of foods, and could eat this way for the rest of my life.
    You have to have the right mind set too. Be resolved that you can do this. Never ever give up. If you have a bad day and over eat (you will) dont hate yourself. Pick yourself up and start again the next day.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes, I couldn't find her/him either. Agree with @CurlyCockney though. I stick to a new diet or fitness regime for about 1 week max usually. I now just log whatever I eat, and gradually got used to eating at a deficit. No lifestyle change yet, can't stick with it anyway.
  • RosieJaynee
    RosieJaynee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, :) After having 2 gorgeous babies I struggled to accept my weight gain! I tried every diet! Then I found out about bootea. Every since I have started on them I have felt so good! In 3 months I lost just over a stone & still going strong! Bootea came with a meal plan & work out plan which flushes out all the bad stuff from your body! Now I feel so good in my self, my skin & hair is even better now too! It's such an easy diet to do & stick with. I also go to the gym, do Zumba at home & follow this app! Hope this helps!x
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You could have done that just by eating at a deficit (which you did anyway, to lose weight) and saved your money.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The only way you will do it is by rethinking your approach.

1. Take baby steps to transition into the process. That means make small changes that you cna adjust to over time. The most importnat steps are to be able to weugh your food with a scale and log what you eat. Start with 1 day, then two then three till you build on it. Break ut down so you cna achieve confidence through hiting small targets such as just logging and weighing food or reasing an artucle or a 10 min walk.
    2. Increases your knowledge about what losing weight involves. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    3. It's unclear just how much you understand about weight loss. If uts a real problem and you are a bing eater then you shoul go to your Dr or contact one of the eating disorder charities about binge eating. It may be they can organise ir sugnpost you to some cbt therapy which will help you respond and deal with different situations to aboid the binge eating.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, stop trying to 'diet'. I tried 'dieting' for years and years and failed each attempt for the pure fact that they were 'diets' and therefore unrealistic to keep up long-term. It's all very well entering a programme that says it'll help you drop those unwanted pounds by doing X and Y for 30 days (or however long) - but what about when you finish? Then what? That's right, normal eating ensues and the weight comes back.

Also, if the 'diets' you have followed are restrictive and ban you from certain food groups, it is no wonder you are binge eating. Deprivation causes desperation. You need to forget everything you have ever learnt about losing weight because nothing has been successful. It is likely you have been fed some really inaccurate information.

MFP will definitely help you get back on track the right way. You won't feel deprived and you won't feel miserable and once you get into the habit of tracking and understand how this works, you won't go back to your old ways. It really is simple - eat a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. Forget carb cutting, forget 'not eating after 7PM', forget juice cleanses and detoxes, forget diet pills and fat binders, forget deprivation, forget 'clean eating' and start again. Eat whatever you want, weigh whatever you eat and concentrate on sticking to that deficit and you'll lose weight. This is a sustainable and realistic approach.

Wishing you the very best of luck here :]
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest OP weighs and logs everything, without cutting anything back, for a week. Maybe seeing the reality of it all in black and white would help. Then, follow the amount of calories that MFP says but plan the day so that most calories are available for the end of the day so that the impulses are accounted for.

OP seems to have deleted their account.

Maybe they did. I'm not sure what's the status of the bug where new posters have broken links to their profile, or appear to have deactivated accounts
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options

if your goal is lose weight, you don't need to eat healthy foods, drink lots of water and stop eating everything you like. You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. Maybe you won't fail if you just count calories.
    There you go. I always fail at diets. But once I just started counting calories while still leaving room for treats like ice cream and chocolate just about daily - win.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I think all your diet not diet people are completely on the wrong track with this OP anyway.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Hmm I think they're on the right track due to the idea that it's a bit unrealistic to change every single thing overnight and expect sustainable results. But personally I'd still call it a diet, though, due to the calorie restriction required to lose weight. The restriction just doesn't have to be crazy drastic, and you can still eat and drink things you like. So long as you're eating less calories than you burn, you'll lose weight

Read this, OP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The OP has cancelled their account. Don't waste your breath!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    The OP has cancelled their account. Don't waste your breath!

See my earlier post
  • jmaya26
    jmaya26 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Don't diet.
    Change your habits, one baby step at at time.
    Start with something healthy for breakfast. Stick with that for a week or two. Then make lunch healthier... change your snacks etc.
    Log everything you eat, so you can see the impact of that high cal eating. Maybe that will encourage you to cut out the crappy food, or at least reduce the amount.
    Changing habits takes time and work, but in my opinion it can be a better way to get started than to try to change everything at once.

^agree! Baby steps.