stomach starts to hurt while following calorie goal

Options
2»

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Ten lbs. In a month seems like an overly ambitious goal for someone who is not so overweight such as yourself. A healthy goal is usually one to two lbs per week. If you shhot for this MFP will allow you a higher calorie intake. You can also eat a few more calories per day by adding exercise to your routine. If you want to get the most out of your allotted calories you may want to consider eating high protien, low calorie foods such as eggs, fish and chicken (grilled of course) and weighing all your food. AND AVOID SUGAR AT ALL COSTS!!! Drinking water all day and especially before meals might help with the stomach pains. Good luck!

There's nothing wrong with sugar... and it would be very hard to avoid completely.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would say to do the following-

Eat more protien
    Eat more Fat
    Eat large quantities of low calorie but high volume veggies
    Eat more fiber
    Drink more water

that should fix the problem.

Sometimes it takes me 2-3 weeks to get used to a calorie deficit where im SUPER hungry, and then it balances out.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemRun wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Withdrawal from what? It sounds like hunger, to me.

Withdrawal from not getting used to the new habit. Anyway, you sound like a bully telling me that. That's just rude

Yikes. That was neither bullying nor rude.

Your stomach probably hurts because you are hungry, dehydrated, or eating something that doesn't agree with you. How many calories are you eating?
    My calorie goal is 1300. I usually just intake a little less from it like about 1200+

You only have 10 pounds to lose. Unless you are very small to start with, there is no reason to eat that little. What are your height, weight, normal everyday activity level not including exercise (e.g., do you sit all day or walk to the store/classes/etc.), and how often do you do exercise (along with how long and what type of exercise do you do?)

I'm doing it bit by bit and I feel like I want to start with losing 10 lbs this month. I'm about 5'2 and 160 lbs. And I usually sit all day and do exercise every other day in a week. In weekends, I do some running and right now, i'm doing some ab workout

10lbs in a month is overly ambitious even if you were obese. I mean, you may manage it with the extra loss from water weight at the beginning, but it really is pushing it. 2lbs/week is the highest recommended rate of loss, and that's only for people that have a lot of weight to lose. So 10lbs in a month really isn't a good idea... especially if your stomach is hurting.

I completely agree with DemoraFairy.

Change your weekly goal to 1 pound per week. Eat all of those calories. If you exercise, log the exercise and eat 50% of those calories. After 4 weeks look at your progress and tweak your calories up/down accordingly.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When do you feel the discomfort? If it's a few hours after eating, it may be hunger... But I'm going to assume that you know what being hungry feels like. You'd feel hungry, then really hungry, then get hunger pangs. If it happens within an hour after eating perhaps you are sensitive to something you're eating. I suggest keeping a log of what you eat at what time, and at what time you experience pain. You might be able to solve your mystery that way!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When do you feel the discomfort? If it's a few hours after eating, it may be hunger... But I'm going to assume that you know what being hungry feels like. You'd feel hungry, then really hungry, then get hunger pangs. If it happens within an hour after eating perhaps you are sensitive to something you're eating. I suggest keeping a log of what you eat at what time, and at what time you experience pain. You might be able to solve your mystery that way!

This is a good idea, although some people may not be used to hunger, I suppose.

Also, if you changed up your diet a lot it could be related to that. Especially if you added more fiber or cut fat a lot.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before you started? I ask because, for me, in my experience, I was eating a lot of crap. Fast food, processed stuff etc etc. When I switched to real food, for the first couple of weeks digestion was a b. It was uncomfortable. It seemed like my body had no idea what to do with real, raw foods. Now, if I eat cruddy food I get the same type of pains.
  • jemRun
    jemRun Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before you started? I ask because, for me, in my experience, I was eating a lot of crap. Fast food, processed stuff etc etc. When I switched to real food, for the first couple of weeks digestion was a b. It was uncomfortable. It seemed like my body had no idea what to do with real, raw foods. Now, if I eat cruddy food I get the same type of pains.

The last time I ate was 4 steamed chinese dumplings with 1 cup of steamed white rice. I put a lot of soy sauce that time though. Is it also a factor?
  • jemRun
    Options

Okay I will take note of that thanks :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    @jemRun when does this pain come in relation to meals? Before or after?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating under your calorie allotment?
  • jemRun
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

After meals but I takes hours before it happens.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    When do you feel the discomfort? If it's a few hours after eating, it may be hunger... But I'm going to assume that you know what being hungry feels like. You'd feel hungry, then really hungry, then get hunger pangs.

I wouldn't make that assumption. I suspect there are people who have never felt hunger.

kshama2001 wrote: »

After meals but I takes hours before it happens.

Chances are it is just simply hunger.

What is the longest you have gone between eating before?

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Stomach acid building up with fewer meals or snacks is my first guess. Take an actual antacid in its suggested dose and see if it helps. If so, make sure to eat more often or drink a little milk as a small snack, etc.

If you have baking soda around, an easy test is whether 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon mixed in a small cup of warm water helps. Then you don't have to buy antacid if acid's not the problem. Don't keep that up, though, because it's too salty for normal use.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your diet in addition to monitoring calories? It is possible that a change of diet has exposed your body to a food intolerance you were unaware of. I'd recommend logging the pain as well as calories. Check for any correlation between the food you eat and the pain you experience. You can then take this to the doctor if you decide to investigate further.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Also, has your doctor ever mentioned IBS? Or could it be constipation from not enough fiber?