how do you cope with stress? does it effect your diet

Options
Everyone deals with it differently, how to you feel it effects your diet?
It would be interesting to know how everyone is :)
I am retraining my brain to not reach for pizza when I get stressed.
I don't every drink, smoke so its been my outlet in the past ha

Replies

• caitlinjm74
    caitlinjm74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My mum always has a big 360g bar of chocolate lurking in the fridge - whenever I'm stressed I find myself taking chunks of that in an attempt to make me feel better. Unsurprisingly, it never works!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Stress. Meh, I shut down food wise, I eat nothing.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Eating use to be my coping mechanism till I committed to a lifestyle change in December 2011. Now I use 10 minute walks or drink more water or close my office door and do 10 yoga sun salutations.

It was a lot of moments thru the first six months. I just had several mantras - "I can't correct one stress creating situation with another stress creating action".

I haven't been perfect with my excercise or nutrition plan and I have goals, but eliminating recreational and stress eating is one lifestyle change that is my foundation.
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I yell
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It depends on the situation. I try to exercise when that is an option, but oftentimes it is not - like if I'm at work. As much as I try not to, on some occasions I do still turn to food during stressful times - but not as often as I once did. The other thing is I'm trying to look at the stressful times in life from a different perspective - like "what will getting myself worked up about this do for me" - typically the answer to that is "nothing". Most of us are human and will slip up on our journeys to good health. We just have to recognize and continue to try to improve / break bad habits. Best of luck to you and everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I shut down food wise, I eat nothing.

I'm pretty close to that. When I've got a pile of work at the office, I snack less. I rarely stop eating completely, but I once had that happen when I was about to eat dinner and a recruiter called with bad news about a job interview that I thought had gone very well. I just put the whole plate in the refrigerator- the last thing I wanted to do was eat.

Fortunately, the only sources of stress in my life now are temporary (workload hits a peak but that goes away, a week where I just have too much scheduled) and I get through them. I exercise regularly and that really helps. So does talking things out with DH.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't know really. The other week I was really stressed and I ordered a Chinese takeaway, but it didn't make me feel better.

If I'm really angry and wound up I need a cigarette and some alcohol. I don't really get angry very often, but cigarettes have always been the thing I reach to that actually make me feel better. I probably smoke about twice a year.

I never have an outlet for my anger and stress, so it festers inside me which isn't a good thing!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Stress. Meh, I shut down food wise, I eat nothing.

Same here. Stress is my best diet plan!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Scream. Punch/break something. Violent video games.
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I shut down as well. Food is not part of the agenda. Needless to say, I haven't ate a whole lot in the past cpl weeks. But my workouts get more intensified
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    sadly, I get angry and yell. a lot. It's not good. eta: yes it affects my diet because I fin I often try to redirect the rage into stuffing my face. After all, if my mouth is full I can't yell! :sigh:
  • Lori0463
    Lori0463 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've tried to become a 'stress walker' instead of a 'stress eater'. Easy to do when the weather's nice.
    I also find that swearing helps :)
  • jennifermads1
    Options
    I've tried to become a 'stress walker' instead of a 'stress eater'. Easy to do when the weather's nice.

yea swearing helps alot lol :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I lose my appetite and find it hard to concentrate. Usually I cope with stress quite well though and just get on with it.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I used to eat something that was comforting. Now I try to take a walk, breathe deeply, then when I get back if I really feel the need to eat the choice is usually healthier rather than a quick fix.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I am not an emotional eater. It is virtually impossible to get food in my face when I'm upset.

Shopping however, is a horse of a different colour :P
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I use it to my advantage....I run faster, I run further, I lift heavier. **** stress, don't let it **** you
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I love this.

Yes, swearing helps. Also listening to loud, aggressive, cathartic music. And reminding myself that eating doesn't actually relieve my stress -- it usually makes me feel worse.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Usually what makes me stressed is when I have a whole bunch of things that I need to get done before I leave to go somewhere...instead of snacking in front of my computer and procrastinating, making the stress worse, I make a quick list and start at the top. If I'm getting things done, my hands will be too busy to shove food in my mouth.

I'm also a big fan of yoga. I keep my mat out so if I need a moment, I can spend some time stretching or attempting that pose that eludes me.
  • TLTucker80
    TLTucker80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much stressed all the time (taking care of all 3 families business, bills, cooking, cleaning,etc....). I always turned to food. Now I'm trying not to eat when I'm stressed, but that doesn't always work so for the last week when I reach for food when I'm stressed I eat watermelon. I also burn off stress at the gym, the problem with that is I burn off the stress then come home and a few hours later I'm stressed the hell out again (it is very hard and time consuming having to do everything and I mean EVERYTHING for 9 people). So I'm trying to find ways to deal with it..... any suggestions would be greatly appropriated thanks