Trying to gain healthy weight

Options
I am 28, 5.6" tall and weigh a whopping 118 lbs. when i first started working out again in june i did cardio followed by weight training. However, i did not realize how little i was eating and lost 7 lbs very quickly. I basically lost my weight from having a baby. So now that I am using this app I see that i WAS probably only eating about 1500 calories on a good day. I am now focusing on trying to eat 2000-2300 a day. I rarely do cardio and i do weights 5-6x a week. Does anybody think this will actually help? I also drink protein shakes and have added more proteins to my diet. I hope I am headed in the right direction.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    are you using MFP method or TDEE method?

are you on a structured lifting program like strong lifts or something?

Are you using a food scale to weigh all your food or are you just guestimating?

how accurate with your logging are you?
  • KymiBravo
    KymiBravo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do not know what mfp or tdee is :/

I do weights on my own. One day legs... One day another...

I do not have a scale but i go by cups instead of lbs. i guess i should look into purchasing one.

Id say that i am pretty accurate at logging. If nothing else, I know that I am probably eating double what i was eating before a week ago when i got this app.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    KymiBravo wrote: »
    I do not know what mfp or tdee is :/

I do weights on my own. One day legs... One day another...

I do not have a scale but i go by cups instead of lbs. i guess i should look into purchasing one.

Id say that i am pretty accurate at logging. If nothing else, I know that I am probably eating double what i was eating before a week ago when i got this app.

when you signed up for this site you had to put your stats into a calculator and it gave you X number of calories to eat a day, correct? if you are eating to that number then you are doing MFP method.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. If you are doing that method you calculate it using an online calculator and eat to that number.

In reviewing your post, you are saying "I think" and "probably" that means that you are not accurately logging.

I would suggest the following:

get a food scale and start weighing all solids and log everything you eat into MFP.
    set MFP for a .5 pound gain or calculate your TDEE for matincne and add 250 calories to that number and eat to that number.
    get on a structured lifting program like all pro beginner, strong lifts, etc..
    set your macros to .6 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and fill in the rest with carbs.