Advice for Maintenance?

Cmase0194
Cmase0194 Posts: 23 Member
edited September 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I'm male, 21, and currently, I stand 6'5", and weigh 180-185lbs. I'm attempting recomp.
I've been fluctuating between a recomp/cut diet to try and tighten up some loose skin/burn what belly fat I have left. I was 300lbs in 2012, but I lost that weight quickly enough without substantial exercise, so it left a bit more "flab" than I'd prefer.
I've been eating between 300-500 calories under my estimated "maintenance," as of July. I've seen decent enough results to satisfy myself, but I'd like some guidance, if anyone has any to offer.

Ideally, my lower abs are the biggest "problem" area I have. I've developed cut upper aabs, but not lower. Should I modify my diet?
Currently on a 40/30/30 pro/fat/carb split at about 2200 calories daily, give or take 100 (2100-2300). "Maintenance" for me is 2650 at the moment.
I work as a server in s busy restaurant, and as a deli clerk, and lightly work out on my days off, (still have those lazy do-nothing days though..), just so you have an idea of my activity level.

Thanks all, in advance!

Replies

• Cmase0194
    Also >footnote<
    If you have any exercises you'd recommend for lower abs, I could use those. Preferably some weighted AND non-weighted options, as I work VERY often and don't have weights at my disposal. I need to figure out if I should be trying to burn the fat/tighten skin, (what I'm trying), or to "fill up" the space through bulking the muscle.

Thanks again!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited September 2015
    @Cmase0194 - You mention eating below maintenance; are you losing weight at your current intake & activity levels? (also, good info in the thread linked by @5stringjeff above).

The exercise thing is prolly outta my wheelhouse, but for weighted work, "Push Sit Ups" come to mind provided that your lower back is being addressed already (if not, maybe some "Straight-Leg Deadlifts" will help). Of course, you already know there's no 'spot reduction', so fat/fuel will come off where your body can access it (like always), and may not address 'loose skin' where excess is present or there are other (connective tissue) issues.

• Cmase0194
    @standenvernet I'm actually maintaining, surprisingly. It could be the recomp of fat to muscle, or my maintenance could be on point. I know most calculators overestimate caloric intake recommended, but it's almost across the board that I should be getting somewhere in the ballpark of 3000. For my size, it makes sense to me, but I feel that's pretty high as well.

I appreciate the advice from both of you guys, and @5stringjeff , thanks for the link, but I needed to ask this question in regards to my height not being a particularly common size. Couldn't find much information from others at my height who've found their maint
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited September 2015
    Well, if you're maintaining... then, you're eating at maintenance. there may be other 'issues' (like logging, and estimations, and inaccurate data sources, etc) but as long as everything is consistent, then whatever is happening you're at maintenance now.

One of the more common 'macro-strategies' is to eat along the lines of 0.8g to 1.0g of protein per pound of lean body mass (LBM). At your stated 2200 calories and 40/30/30 splits, you'e getting ~98g of protein in your intake.

That 98g of protein would be the 0.8g/lean-mass-pound for LBM=122lbs and at the 1.0 level for 98lbs LBM. Starting with your stated weight of 185lbs (awesome work BTW) and applying the 0.8g & 1.0g protein intakes above would be more correct for a person with 47% or 34% body fat (respectively), which I suspect you are not.

Perhaps resetting your protein macro to something more inline with a 25% or 20% body fat number (139 or 148lbs LBM respectively) may help you break out of where you're at. Applying the 0.8g & 1.0g protein intakes to these LBM values would look like:
    • 25% body fat @0.8g prot /LBM ---> 111g ~~ 45% of 2200cals
    • 20% body fat @0.8g prot /LBM ---> 118g ~~ 48% of 2200cals
    • 25% body fat @1.0g prot /LBM ---> 139g ~~ 57% of 2200cals
    • 20% body fat @1.0g prot /LBM ---> 148g ~~ 60% of 2200cals

You may find a little joy in moving your macro splits to increase protein to at least 45% of your intake if not higher based on your actual current body fat estimate, or barring that, a more ideal target. (There's a "Body Fat Estimation Thread" in the Eat, Train, Progress group that may help you estimate if you have no better tools available).

As for reducing Carbs and/or Fat to allow for your protein increase, that's one of those things you may want to experiment with... Personally, I'd favor increasing the fats value, unless I found myself wiffing on available energy during exertion, but as a busy server, your immediate fuel needs may be better met by retaining your carb feed and reducing fats.

There are a lot smarter ppl here than me, but just for the sake of a bump and continued discussion, I'd offer that your Protein macro is not inline with your current size and goals.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Cmase0194 wrote: »
    I appreciate the advice from both of you guys, and @5stringjeff , thanks for the link, but I needed to ask this question in regards to my height not being a particularly common size. Couldn't find much information from others at my height who've found their maint

I'm right there with you. I'm 6'4" and maintain 180-185. That's typically 2300-2350 calories per day before exercise, but I have a desk job; the busyness at your job will probably give you an extra 200-300 calories per day.
  • Cmase0194
    @standenvernet damn man, thanks for all the info! Definitely seeing about a reconfiguration of diet now. Just took some time and got a post of myself currently with pictures trying to get some BF% estimations from the experts here haha. I'll reevaluate once I hear back and get a better idea of where I stand at the moment

@5stringjeff thanks bud, I appreciate your personal cal/weight/height variables, it's also really helpful for me figuring out the maintenance element of the post!