PLEASE HELP calorie confused :(

Options
Untilproud11
Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hello !
I've been eating 1700 calories for about 5 months now with no progress
I do religiously measure/weigh and count my calories prefectly , i was thinking in lowering my cals but im scared this will lead to failure as 1700 is already a litlle hard ...
I went to so many calorie calculators online they all tell me a whole different number !
So depressed right now
Nithing is working , i bounce between 176/174 for years never under that
How many cals should i eat ?
My stats :
176lbs
5'2
28yo
Female
Ligtly active
Want to be 160 (is that too much to ask for? Lol )

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1700 and know it's accurate and lose no weight then 1700 is by definition your maintenance intake.

Take off 250 calories a day for a month and see what happens. 160 is just under obese so by no means a lot to ask.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on exactly how sure you are eating 1700 per day. Are you weighing/measuring all portions? Are you allowing yourself "cheat" days - how many and how often?

Like the above poster said, if you are 100% satisfied you're eating exactly 1700 on average, and you're not losing weight, then start eating 1500 or even 1600 and try again for a couple months and measure your progress.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    hello !
    I've been eating 1700 calories for about 5 months now with no progress
    I do religiously measure/weigh and count my calories prefectly , i was thinking in lowering my cals but im scared this will lead to failure as 1700 is already a litlle hard ...
    I went to so many calorie calculators online they all tell me a whole different number !
    So depressed right now
    Nithing is working , i bounce between 176/174 for years never under that
    How many cals should i eat ?
    My stats :
    176lbs
    5'2
    28yo
    Female
    Ligtly active
    Want to be 160 (is that too much to ask for? Lol )

Sorry, I am your height and weight and 1700 is too much unless you are doing some serious exercise. On days when I don't exercise my TDEE is under 1700. I find that about 1400 is good. It lets me lose without being super hungry. But I have to get in a walk/run every day or else my deficit is pretty minimal, the workout makes it a little better.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    With your stats I think you should spend a few weeks at 1200 and see if that does anything. I know you say it will be hard, but it's going to be hard :)
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Are you cheating ever? My TDEE (around same stats) is 2100.

If you are 1700 for say 5 days, but 3000 on the weekends, you just put yourself back to step one.

Think of it as more of a weekly average than just a daily thing.

Also, are you counting your macros? You really should make sure that you are hitting protein, carb, and fat goals along with your calories. If you eat only 1700 of say, carbs, your body does not have a good balance.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    With your stats I think you should spend a few weeks at 1200 and see if that does anything. I know you say it will be hard, but it's going to be hard :)

Why such an aggressive deficit with so little to lose?
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    16lbs seems to be not so little to the OP if she's been at it for 5 months with zero progress.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    16lbs seems to be not so little to the OP if she's been at it for 5 months with zero progress.

So you blindly assign a caloric intake without regard to a healthy rate of loss?
  • Venus_Red
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Wasn't blind. Her stats support it just fine. How do you see it otherwise?
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Her sedentary numbers and amount to lose put her at 1500 per day ... not 1200. There is nothing in her post to clarify is lightly active, her current setting, is the appropriate choice or if she is accurately logging ... both places to start before saying to eat the minimum.
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    MFP isn't the gold standard or only standard for calorie counting. She could spend a month at 1200 and see if it has an affect and it would not harm her.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't the gold standard or only standard for calorie counting. She could spend a month at 1200 and see if it has an affect and it would not harm her.

She already said 1,700 was hard, so why jump right to 1,200? Going that low IS hard for many people.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

How do you come up with "her stats support it just fine"? Her stats (months of eating at 1700 with no change) suggest her TDEE is 1700, so TDEE - 10% would be 1530, and TDEE - 20% would be 1360. You're suggesting 1200, which is almost a 30% cut from TDEE.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    So... In addition to the forum, MFP can give you a calorie goal based on your stats. Perhaps, *cough* give that a whirl for a couple weeks? Also, remember that everything counts (drinks, butter, oil, ketchup, snacks, etc).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

If she's maintaining on 1700, 1500 or so would put her at just shy of 1/2 lb/wk lost on average...a perfectly healthy and reasonable rate for someone with only 16 lbs to lose.

Despite what some people seem to think...one doesn't have to completely starve themselves in order to lose weight. The winner is the person who can eat the MOST food he/she enjoys while meeting his/her health and fitness goals. Not the person who can make him/herself the most miserable and lose weight the quickest.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

OP says that 1700 is already a little hard........

1200 would be a lot hard. Besides, 1200 is a default minimum. I wouldn't be happy eating the minimum either and my stats are closer to 1200 (50+ YO).
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    Ok, it was a suggestion.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    If you eat 1700 and know it's accurate and lose no weight then 1700 is by definition your maintenance intake.

Take off 250 calories a day for a month and see what happens. 160 is just under obese so by no means a lot to ask.

Or increase exercise. I agree that 1700 is obviously her maintenance so the only way to lose is either fewer calories "in" or more calories "out".
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    At 5'3" and 187 lbs. I would not be losing at eating 1700 calories I am older, but am pretty active walking 4-5 miles a day and strength training 3 days a week. I eat between 1400 and 1600 to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

If she's maintaining on 1700, 1500 or so would put her at just shy of 1/2 lb/wk lost on average...a perfectly healthy and reasonable rate for someone with only 16 lbs to lose.

I'd start with a milder cut personally, not 1200, but people are over-focusing on the 16 lb goal when she's BMI 32. 1 lb/week is not overly aggressive.

Also lots of people find a deficit easier to keep when they see results. I found 1 lb/week an easier goal than .5 lb/week (although lots played into that, so I'm not assuming it will be true for OP).

Anyway, OP, I'd drop calories to 1400-1500 and also open your diary to see if you can pick up some logging tips.