Heart Rate Monitor an Calories

Options

Replies

• joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    HRMs count heart beats, not calories.

With the information you've provided, there is no way for anyone to assess the accuracy of either. Duration, resistance, weight, stationary or moving bike, etc all factor into how much energy you expended for the activity.

HRM estimates calorie count based on your heart rate and activity...given weight, height, resting heart, etc it is suppose to be more accurate .. I think that's what you should've told him unless you aren't familiar with one yourself.

Yeah I guess you're right. But mine does take all of that into account. Tracks my speed, distance, heart rate, uses my age and current weight as well.

What model is it? Did you do a test to calculate your max HR or LTHR? Does it allow you to input your VO2 max? Can you select the actual activity you are doing?

All yes.

Yes is not a model. You seem to be deliberately avoiding specifics which could lead to an answer.

Sorry I missed the first question. It's packed away right now I'm about to start my shift. Let me get back to you in about 3 hours. I forget the name of the model.

So you don't know what model ... you haven't addressed the duration, intensity, if it was a stationary or moving ride, speed, terrain if moving .....

again ... specifics that were brought up in the first responses to you in this thread that you still haven't addressed.

I think it's called runtastic. I have the ap I dunno if it's the same or the quality. I do know I can set my resting heart rate and max heart rate (but I don't know how to test for it). I was on a stationary bike at home (I thought it was implied when I mentioned the bike gave me an estimated calories burnt). I just jogged to work though as well, very light jog, had about a 15lb load on my back. Planning on hitting the gym after work. My pace was about 77:52 min/km but since I was stationary it couldn't tell the resistance (like when I was jogging uphill it knew and adjusted because it runs off gps) - hope that helps.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    77:52 min/km ?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

With the information you've provided, there is no way for anyone to assess the accuracy of either. Duration, resistance, weight, stationary or moving bike, etc all factor into how much energy you expended for the activity.

HRM estimates calorie count based on your heart rate and activity...given weight, height, resting heart, etc it is suppose to be more accurate .. I think that's what you should've told him unless you aren't familiar with one yourself.

Yeah I guess you're right. But mine does take all of that into account. Tracks my speed, distance, heart rate, uses my age and current weight as well.

What model is it? Did you do a test to calculate your max HR or LTHR? Does it allow you to input your VO2 max? Can you select the actual activity you are doing?

All yes.

Yes is not a model. You seem to be deliberately avoiding specifics which could lead to an answer.

Sorry I missed the first question. It's packed away right now I'm about to start my shift. Let me get back to you in about 3 hours. I forget the name of the model.

So you don't know what model ... you haven't addressed the duration, intensity, if it was a stationary or moving ride, speed, terrain if moving .....

again ... specifics that were brought up in the first responses to you in this thread that you still haven't addressed.

I think it's called runtastic. I have the ap I dunno if it's the same or the quality. I do know I can set my resting heart rate and max heart rate (but I don't know how to test for it). I was on a stationary bike at home (I thought it was implied when I mentioned the bike gave me an estimated calories burnt). I just jogged to work though as well, very light jog, had about a 15lb load on my back. Planning on hitting the gym after work. My pace was about 77:52 min/km but since I was stationary it couldn't tell the resistance (like when I was jogging uphill it knew and adjusted because it runs off gps) - hope that helps.

Even if that's a typo and it's really 7:52 min/km, that translates to less than 5 mph. Biking at that pace and I'd have a hard time believing even the lower of the two numbers you provided (depending of course on duration, which still wasn't provided).
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

All yes.

Even if that's a typo and it's really 7:52 min/km, that translates to less than 5 mph. Biking at that pace and I'd have a hard time believing even the lower of the two numbers you provided (depending of course on duration, which still wasn't provided).

I think it calculated the distance via gps. So I don't think that it's accurate.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

All yes.

I think it calculated the distance via gps. So I don't think that it's accurate.

I thought it was a stationary bike? How would GPS calculate distance on a stationary bike?
  • brianpperkins
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Runtastic is a phone app that requires a separate strap for HR integration ... if you pay for the pro version. There is no way for a GPS to work on a stationary bike.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    E
    Runtastic is a phone app that requires a separate strap for HR integration ... if you pay for the pro version. There is no way for a GPS to work on a stationary bike.

Yeah I have the strap on and pro ap. so my gps said I didn't move so my distance was small
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    Th

All yes.

I thought it was a stationary bike? How would GPS calculate distance on a stationary bike?

the monitor / ap combo did the gps not the bike
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    OP: what distance did the bike say? How long did you stay on the bike if you don't know that?

Didn't check, it's a new bike doesn't seen to keep powered up if you stop using it. Was my first time on it I'll have to remember to make a mental note. I'm going to the gym after work I can tell you the distance on a bike there vs what the gps tracked
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    OK ...
    Let's do this at the most basic level possible.
    Age?
    Height?
    Weight?
    Duration of cycling?
    Distance the bike said you pedaled?
  • brianpperkins
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What type of HR strap are you using with your phone?
    What model bike did you use?
    Did the bike track cadence data?
  • juggernaut1974
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Th

All yes.

the monitor / ap combo did the gps not the bike

The last thing I'll say in this thread is I would think it would be fairly obvious to most people that any app/hrm/piece of equipment that is calculating a calorie burn based on GPS distance ON A STATIONARY BIKE may not be particularly accurate.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Wait, you are asking if you hrm which thinks you did not move at all is accurate?! Is that actually the question?

No, it's not going to be accurate; it has wonky data to work with.
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    Not

not sure if the bike tracks cadence, I'll have to check. New bike I didn't buy it though. And to the other posters who're just posting ridiculous things please stop, pretty sure every HRM calculates a burn even of you're on a stationary bike - cause you can select the type of exercise you're doing before you start working out. Probably adjusts based on that.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Not

not sure if the bike tracks cadence, I'll have to check. New bike I didn't buy it though. And to the other posters who're just posting ridiculous things please stop, pretty sure every HRM calculates a burn even of you're on a stationary bike - cause you can select the type of exercise you're doing before you start working out. Probably adjusts based on that.

A HRM can come close on a stationary bike but not in the scenario you described. You described a GPS dependent app trying to calculate distance for something that didn't move ... making the app calculate using an elevated heart rate that it plugs into a formula for little to no work. Inaccurate input into a formula leads to inaccurate outputs.

Coming close to an accurate estimate of calories burned from a stationary bike requires knowing a lot more than just a person's heart rate. Cadence, resistance level, speed all factor into the amount of work performed ... which can then be used to estimate the amount of energy expended to perform that work.
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    It's n
    Not

A HRM can come close on a stationary bike but not in the scenario you described. You described a GPS dependent app trying to calculate distance for something that didn't move ... making the app calculate using an elevated heart rate that it plugs into a formula for little to no work. Inaccurate input into a formula leads to inaccurate outputs.

Coming close to an accurate estimate of calories burned from a stationary bike requires knowing a lot more than just a person's heart rate. Cadence, resistance level, speed all factor into the amount of work performed ... which can then be used to estimate the amount of energy expended to perform that work.

its not gps dependent. Let's forget the bike. 2km jog for 275 calories in 20 minutes. That's what it logged