Protein goals impossible?!

Options
hnaquin280
hnaquin280 Posts: 26 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Okay. I know I'm going to get a lot of slack for this, but please help me meet my protein goals. I really don't like meat (I usually eat maybe one or two meals a week with meat) and I especially don't like chicken. I eat a lot of eggs and shrimp, but I'm not digging the sodium content of the shrimp. I try really really hard to eat things like almonds and yogurt and foods that I know contain protein, but 89 grams seems almost impossible in one day. Any suggestions?

[Edited by MFP Staff]

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cheese, milk, nuts, protein powder, protein bars, quinoa, protein rich breads (I like the Ozery One Buns), beans, lentils, hummus.....
  • hnaquin280
    hnaquin280 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I do drink a 25 G protein shake but even with that I feel like I'm having trouble. Like I need to eat 5 pounds of nuts to come even close haha
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I've found I get the biggest protein bang for my buck with fish like tuna (not the canned) and salmon. Otherwise I fall back on yogurt, eggs, and convenience protein like quest bars. I average at least 100-110g of protein a day no problem. It was confusing and difficult to get enough at the beginning, but you'll sort it out.
  • MarvelGrrl
    MarvelGrrl Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Some ideas for veggie protein :smile: 391qqpac16s9.jpg
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I eat meat but still get a lot of my protein from dairy. Cottage cheese is comparable to yogurt in terms of protein. At my house we just started drinking ultra-filtered milk, which has higher protein than regular milk. We've only tried the Fairlife brand. I just started subbing the whole milk in my coffee in place of half and half and I'm pretty happy with the switch. I just told hubs to get the chocolate kind for post-workout drinks.

And what about whey protein powder? I'm not a fan, but if you are, its an easy way to get some protein into your diet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, tuna, edamame, milk, eggs.

Nuts are okay, but the calories you'd take in for the amount of protein...nuts just aren't a tremendous help.

I struggle with protein, too. It's hard when you don't like meat!
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    I eat meat but still get a lot of my protein from dairy. Cottage cheese is comparable to yogurt in terms of protein. At my house we just started drinking ultra-filtered milk, which has higher protein than regular milk. We've only tried the Fairlife brand. I just started subbing the whole milk in my coffee in place of half and half and I'm pretty happy with the switch. I just told hubs to get the chocolate kind for post-workout drinks.

And what about whey protein powder? I'm not a fan, but if you are, its an easy way to get some protein into your diet.

Love cottage cheese. I can eat those all day.

OP, you can actually get a custom made whey protein by picking all your ingredients and whatever flavors to your liking. They're generally very high in protein, and 2 servings of them can get you close to 60g of protein. You can try it here: http://www.truenutrition.com/
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1c of cottege cheese and a greek yogurt and your more than half way there
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have added 1/4 c of roasted soynuts daily at 10g protein and 140 cal to help me meet my goal because I eat very little meat and am allergic to milk.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    what are your macros breakdown? How much protein are you trying to consume?
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If you have greek yogurt (danon light and fit) and 2 light cheese sticks (crystal farms) as a snack you'd be looking at 26 grams of protein with only 180 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    hnaquin280 wrote: »
    Thanks! I do drink a 25 G protein shake but even with that I feel like I'm having trouble. Like I need to eat 5 pounds of nuts to come even close haha

Maybe because nuts are a bad source of protein. Pizza has a better ratio of protein per calorie...
  • notcrazychef
    notcrazychef Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy fish cod gives one of the best protein returns for weight
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    hnaquin280 wrote: »

Try mixing it with 12 oz of milk, instead of water. That adds another 12g of protein or so :wink:
    I've found I get the biggest protein bang for my buck with fish like tuna (not the canned) and salmon.

Fish is a good source of protein, too. For me, the canned tuna and salmon are inexpensive and have plenty of protein. I eat them right out of the can most of the time (once or twice a week).
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't do well with protein either. I'm starting to use things like a tablespoon of gelatin in my coffee, protein powder in smoothies, hard boiled eggs, real protein bars, jerky, and even sometimes a pouch of tuna.
  • zinra
    zinra Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    MarvelGrrl wrote: »
    Some ideas for veggie protein :smile: 391qqpac16s9.jpg

Exactly what I was looking for!

I've got a low protein intake according to this app but I'm vegan.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. 89 grams is probably more than you need. .7 grams/lb. lean body mass is plenty
    for most folks. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, and usually get 85-100g within 1400 cal net ( usually 1400-1800 gross).

I think it's pretty achievable if you familiarize yourself with the better sources in each category (veg, grain, legume, beverage, snack, etc.), and pick some you like as your go-tos, weaving the protein foods throughout your day as opposed to trying to eat it as one 'big' protein at each meal.

My go-tos are greek yogurt (on my oatmeal, seasoned as salad dressing, as a sour-cream sub), quinoa, all kinds of beans, spinach, broccoli, peanut butter (as a spread, in stir-fry, in soups), cottage cheese, pepitas, eggs in many forms, dry-roasted soybeans for snacks . . . .
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Eggs and protien shakes was my favorites whwn I was a vegetarian but still it was hard to get there!