Exercising once again but gaining instead of loosing?

Options
I was plateua'd and then I started exercising again (I took a hiatus for awhile) eating the same foods except more to replace the calories I lost exercising.

I started jogging again 6 days ago and it seems every day I get up and see if it's doing me any good and each day I gain another pound.. I don't understand? I checked my measurements this morning and most of them are the same or slightly up.. so I most be doing something wrong...

Suggestions?

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Go back to eating what you were when you plateaued and keep up the exercise. A calculation has gone wrong somewhere along the line.
  • sadiedrake
    Options
    Are you over estimating the calories you are burning during exercise? If so you could b over eating. I would suggest what the last lady said and don't eat your exercise calories but use them to increase your deficit
  • kristinadalba
    Options
    Plateaus can be very discouraging and can last awhile at times.You body is a smart machine and it will know when it's not getting it"s regular intake...sometimes causing us to preserve instead of release.I can recommend switching up your exercise routine,since our muscles become adapted and won't always release the same amount of calories.Also make sure you have a calorie deficient.All and all keep at it and kudos to you for not giving up...weather you switch things up or not its a matter of time,but you will see results
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Starting new exercise can cause a gain on the scale due to water retention for sore muscles. Can't see your diary, so hard to offer more help without seeing what you're eating.

How long were you on a break from exercise? Did you keep up with logging food during that time?
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree with Amy! If you have not exercised in a while then your muscles will go in to shock and you will retain fluid around your muscles. It's your bodies way of protecting itself. It won't last forever so don't quit exercising. :-)
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Are you over estimating the calories you are burning during exercise? If so you could b over eating. I would suggest what the last lady said and don't eat your exercise calories but use them to increase your deficit

I don't know, I write down what my HRM says from exercising, but it IS a new HRM, but it's a better one than I had, a Polar (RXC or something like that forget off the top of my head what model it is.. it's a newer one for running).
  • silhouettes
    Options
    Plateaus can be very discouraging and can last awhile at times.You body is a smart machine and it will know when it's not getting it"s regular intake...sometimes causing us to preserve instead of release.I can recommend switching up your exercise routine,since our muscles become adapted and won't always release the same amount of calories.Also make sure you have a calorie deficient.All and all keep at it and kudos to you for not giving up...weather you switch things up or not its a matter of time,but you will see results

Thank you, for the past year during my plateau I have done various exercises, only jogging, then only cardio video, then only weight video then a combination and nothing helped so I admit I gave up, I didn't gain but I stayed and now a few months later after giving up I am trying again with jogging, which I haven't done since last Thanksgiving.
  • silhouettes
    Options
    Starting new exercise can cause a gain on the scale due to water retention for sore muscles. Can't see your diary, so hard to offer more help without seeing what you're eating.

How long were you on a break from exercise? Did you keep up with logging food during that time?

Like I said previously I gave up exercising hardcore a few months back. I did video's off and one maybe 40 minutes a day for a week, then I would wait a week and try again.. I know why I didn't loose then I kept giving up, but I'm in it for the long haul this time. The last time I really exercised and didn't give up was a few months ago.

Yes I have been logging my food intake for the past 2 years, with the exception of vacations (but it's been awhile, over a year really... that's when I plateau'd :( since I took one).