Should I get gastric sleeve?

Options

Replies

• momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My mother had gastric bypass not the sleeve but from my rudimentary understanding they are surgeries with the same goals just executed slightly different, (i.e. Connecting straight to a digestive organ vs altering stomach size) she had the produce when I was 8 years old and every year of the last 15 years I had doctors telling me to say my final goodbyes at every hospitalization, which was several times a year. She couldn't keep any meal down for more than 20 minutes and threw up everyday for 15 years, she existed on dry crackers. It caused her esophagus to corrode and she almost ended up with a hole in the side of her neck, the excessive throwing up caused damage to her heart and lungs leading to diminished breathing capabilities and having to be on oxygen at all times. Before we found out about the oxygen problem she was passing out from not getting enough and it caused damage to her brain, she doesn't remember parts of my childhood anymore. She is still overweight after all of this but through some miracle she has been getting better the last two years and hasn't been hospitalized again thankfully and has been keeping food down, she still throws up every couple of days but it's a vast improvement. We are all thankful that she might actually live to see a grandchild now, my mom is 41. Who would risk this outcome? It's hard even if you do get the surgery and you're not better off by any means, unless you are in a life threatening situation I don't see why someone wouldn't just watch their calories, you have to be careful about what you eat after surgery anyways so you're still counting calories and on a restrictive diet. My mom wasn't even 100 pounds overweight and now she has severe medical difficulties at a young age, it just makes me sad. I hope everyone makes the best choice for them and has good health regardless, I just hope you'll remember the bad things that can happen and seriously consider if the rare chance what happened to my mom happens to you, would it be worth it? Would you be willing to live that way?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of opinions here from people who have no first hand experience, or who have only heard the bad stories.

I had gastric sleeve surgery two years ago. The key to being successful with this tool is realizing its a tool, and not a crutch. I have lost over 200 lbs, and I am still slowly losing. I am super healthy, and my quality of life has improved SO much. I have made all the necessary lifestyle changes to stay successful, including therapy, because in my opinion and experience, if you don't get it right on the inside, it won't matter what you do on the outside. I believe that surgery is right for some and not right for others. Like others, I know people who haven't been successful, and that is mostly for one reason only - they did not do what they were supposed to do. It isn't easy to lose weight unless you are ready to, with or without surgery. Surgery is NOT a magic pill, there is still work involved, but in my case, the tradeoffs were worth the results. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, also, these two MFP groups are very helpful -

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1052-vsgers

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Of all the stomach surgeries, the sleeve is the least bad.

But how about trying what's worked for hundreds of other people:
    calories in, calories out
    weigh / measure your foods
    log accurately

Read sexypants, at least.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

• MKEgal
    edited September 2015
    Options
    BTW, calories in < calories out has worked well for me.

When I first met my weight doc, he offered to start me on the track for surgery.
    Nope. I'd done my homework. No way.

And BTW, when I hit 50 lb down, he told me that I'd lost as much as they'd expect from someone who'd had surgery.
    And I'm still whole.
    And I've lost more weight.

51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    Options
    NotGnarly wrote:
    I now eat 1700 cals on non workout days and 2000 cals on workout days and am losing weight.
    I had to do a metabolism reset a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't losing weight at 1200 cals.
    Huh?
    How exactly do you "reset" metabolism?
    If you weren't losing weight on 1200 (were you really weighing & measuring everything?),
    how can you be losing weight on 1700-2000??
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    NotGnarly wrote:
    I now eat 1700 cals on non workout days and 2000 cals on workout days and am losing weight.
    I had to do a metabolism reset a couple of weeks ago because I wasn't losing weight at 1200 cals.
    Huh?
    How exactly do you "reset" metabolism?
    If you weren't losing weight on 1200 (were you really weighing & measuring everything?),
    how can you be losing weight on 1700-2000??

I just followed the "eat more to weigh less advice". Usually they advise a "reset" if the scale isn't budging and you're eating in a deficit. Could be my body was retaining fluid, thus no movement on the scale. Ate at a surplus for a couple of weeks, then reduced down to a number where the scale started moving down again which is 1700 on non workout days and 2000 on workout days. Yeah I know it sounds crazy and counter intuitive but it worked for me and now the scale is moving again and I'm able to eat more. My tracking habits have stayed the same. Wish I would of tried it years ago.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    If you're still asking "should I?" then the answer is no. If it's just an option and not your only option, it's something you should try to avoid. Here are some things to know before going this route...

1. You'll be on a supervised diet 6 months before surgery. You'll have to learn CICO, proper logging, behavior control and modification methods, nutrition and macros, all to ensure that you're doing things right after surgery.

2. The surgery won't matter if you don't learn the basics and then follow them forever. Basically, if you can't deal with CICO, logging, etc. now, you're wasting your money on the surgery.

3. It's not magic and VSG doesn't make you lose weight. CICO makes you lose with VSG; VSG just ensures portion control. You'll still need to follow diet principles forever.

4. It's painful, expensive, and dangerous. Surgical complications happen. Please pay attention to those complication possibilities.

5. You need to have the mental game or you will fail. Again, WLS isn't magic. If you can't successfully avoid problem foods, be able to say "No", and generally ignore those things that don't fit your new WOL, WLS will be another diet failure.

There are groups here on MFP and I think links were posted. Otherwise, do a search, join, and learn. There will be lots of learning and hard work. Might as well start now.

Full disclosure... I had RNY in January.
  • Shepmom24
    Shepmom24 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had no supervised diet prior to surgery. No liquid diet prior to surgery (though I did one to support a friend the year prior). I had to take a one hour nutrition class but apply almost none of it to my diet. Eating sugar free messes with my IBS so I avoid all artificial sweeteners (plus they are bad for you). Eating low fat dries my skin and hair out. So I eat healthy fats, and some not so healthy fats. Portion control and the lack of ability to binge is the main reason I went through with it. I'm 3.5 months post op. I'm basically eating "normally" and have been since week 8. I also have many friends that have had the VSG and they too eat just like me and have hit their goal weight if not surpassed their targeted weight loss goals. Some are many years out others just 1 year post op.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Except for people with major mobility issues due to their weight that will lessen when they lose weight and severe Type 2 diabetics, I don't see the point. After the first six months to a year it seems like everyone who has these surgeries is back to struggling with hunger, exercising like crazy and counting calories to keep losing, then they hit goal weight and they keep on fighting to not gain it back, sometimes unsuccessfully.

Of course my only 'expertise' in this area is watching every single weight loss program I can get my hands on and a few lectures. Which might be a good idea, OP, if you haven't already.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Shepmom24 wrote: »
    I had no supervised diet prior to surgery. No liquid diet prior to surgery (though I did one to support a friend the year prior). I had to take a one hour nutrition class but apply almost none of it to my diet. Eating sugar free messes with my IBS so I avoid all artificial sweeteners (plus they are bad for you). Eating low fat dries my skin and hair out. So I eat healthy fats, and some not so healthy fats. Portion control and the lack of ability to binge is the main reason I went through with it. I'm 3.5 months post op. I'm basically eating "normally" and have been since week 8. I also have many friends that have had the VSG and they too eat just like me and have hit their goal weight if not surpassed their targeted weight loss goals. Some are many years out others just 1 year post op.

No they aren't.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    If you're still asking "should I?" then the answer is no. If it's just an option and not your only option, it's something you should try to avoid. Here are some things to know before going this route...

1. You'll be on a supervised diet 6 months before surgery. You'll have to learn CICO, proper logging, behavior control and modification methods, nutrition and macros, all to ensure that you're doing things right after surgery.

2. The surgery won't matter if you don't learn the basics and then follow them forever. Basically, if you can't deal with CICO, logging, etc. now, you're wasting your money on the surgery.

3. It's not magic and VSG doesn't make you lose weight. CICO makes you lose with VSG; VSG just ensures portion control. You'll still need to follow diet principles forever.

4. It's painful, expensive, and dangerous. Surgical complications happen. Please pay attention to those complication possibilities.

5. You need to have the mental game or you will fail. Again, WLS isn't magic. If you can't successfully avoid problem foods, be able to say "No", and generally ignore those things that don't fit your new WOL, WLS will be another diet failure.

There are groups here on MFP and I think links were posted. Otherwise, do a search, join, and learn. There will be lots of learning and hard work. Might as well start now.

Full disclosure... I had RNY in January.

I wish this had been what my friend went through. She was on no supervised diet for six months, hasn't started being more active, hasn't changed her diet (she went out to eat a lot and had lots of high-calorie food). No new healthy habits learned pre-surgery. She didn't get information on the side effects, like needing to take vitamins (I told her about the nutritional deficiencies that can cause things like hair loss). She spent a lot of time looking at "before and after" pictures of post-surgery patients. Post-surgery, she's lost some weight, but is really struggling to keep food down and is exhausted all the time. I just want her to be healthy and OK.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the RNY surgery and I just passed my first year anniversary. The surgery boosted my weight loss to the point that I am off all medications, I lead an active lifestyle, and my type 2 diabetes is in remission.

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/obesity-related-diseases/dear-doctor-can-bariatric-surgery-treat-type-2-diabetes

Whether you go for this surgery is highly personal and since it is elective not even your doctor should make this decision for you.

If I were in your shoes I'd have all my children first as the surgery comes with the risk of vitamin deficiencies.
  • Nina_2723
    Nina_2723 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to post as all your replies seem very much against it. I was on MFP for almost three years and lost only 15 pounds. I recently had gastirc bypass surgery and have never been more certain that it was the right decision for myself.
    I have been trying to lose weight since the birth of my daughter 13 years ago and nothing helped. I heard of the surgery long ago but really researched it for about 5 years before talking to my doctor. It was a decision I made on my own with out consulting my family or friends. Once I was on the path towards surgery I told everyone my plan and said this is something I have decided for my self and I hope for your support but don't need it.
    Personally I have had zero complications since having the surgery and weight loss is going well. A close friend who had it done also has had very good results including her diabetes being brought under control. I also know someone who had a rough experience with it.
    The best advice I can give you, is to do your research, talk to doctors and websites (trusted) and make the decision that you feel best about in the end.
    You can always get a referral and start the process to get more information and decide it's not for you at any time through it.
    I wish you luck on your journey
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My significant other had the sleeve done and she has lost 75 pounds and has had no trouble keeping it off. She also had no complications from the surgery and was very careful to follow the doctors orders. She was 45 and weighed 275 pounds and struggled her entire life with losing weight. She lost the 75 pounds within the first year and has not lost any more since. That was three years ago. What it has done for her is to keep her from eating a lot during any given meal. But it hasn't kept her from snacking which is why she doesn't lose any more weight. I on the other hand started on MFP at 254 pounds and I am now down to 198 and still losing. I am able to do this my making true lifestyle changes that are easy for me that I know I can stick to forever. Yeah, I'm not losing weight as quickly as she did but the changes I've made are permanent because I've changed the way I see food now. The biggest part of weightloss is mental. If you get your brain in the right place you will lose weight and be able to keep it off. If you see it as a diet or a miracle surgery then it will be a temporary fix and you will regain the weight whether you have the surgery or not. Either way you can regain the weight. For her, I believe it was the right choice...for you I'm not so sure. You're still young. Give MFP a serious try and see how that works for you. But remember it's not a diet. It has to be a plan that you can do and want to do forever. So make it easy and reasonable and stick to it.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Given the expense and the risks of the surgery, I propose that it would be far more cost-effective for insurance companies to pay for a full-time team of people to swat food out of the hands of overeaters for 1-2 years (or even infinitely) than surgery.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Given the expense and the risks of the surgery, I propose that it would be far more cost-effective for insurance companies to pay for a full-time team of people to swat food out of the hands of overeaters for 1-2 years (or even infinitely) than surgery.

I can totally visualise this. A great new business idea for the innovative entrepreneur.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options

Someone swats food out of my hands, he/she better be wearing one of those suits they use to train attack dogs!

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Before I started MFP, I wished and wished that a program like that existed. I also did a lot of googling about fat camps. No joke.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Bariatric surgery is the cost effective solution for many, including diabetics. I am off all medications for instance.

My weight gain was gradual, perhaps 100 calories over maintenance daily. How easy is that to do? Which snack should have been slapped out of my hand daily? And could your "cost effective" approach allow for a reward every time I made a better choice?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I was verging on qualifying for it, and I had a good friend successfully go through a gastric bypass. She had a very good experience with it, so I'm not anti-surgery at all.

After "living" (via the internet) through the experience with her, I just didn't see the point in having the surgery. I realized that the fundamental changed needing to be made would still need to be made. I just wouldn't suffer adverse physical consequences if I overate if I didn't have the surgery.

I decided to tackle my inner demons and learn new habits and here I am, 28 pounds from a total of 95 pounds needing to be lost.

To the OP, you've tried losing weight before, but have you REALLY tried? Have you figured out why you overeat?
    Have you logged your food? Have you used a food scale?

I had a conversation once, before I started on MFP, with my doctor where I swore up and down to consuming a certain number of calories. When I started actually logging and weighing my food? I found out that I was WAY off in my estimation. There was a reason I weighed as much as I did and there was a reason I wasn't losing weight.

I was eating way too much food.

Learning that I could accurately assess how much food my body needed to balance my energy expenditure (I've upped my exercise, so I get to eat more now than I did when I weighed more and I still lose) was a turning point for me.

Why don't you try it for yourself too?