Eating just once a day

2»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    theres nothing wrong with it, if it works for you.

i might pass on the desert though, for the simple reason if you do get hungry later, you'll have those calories available to use....
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    I couldn't function like that. I prefer to eat through out the day. Otherwise I can't concentrate at work or train at gym afterwards. I would claw someone's face off by 2pm, coffee or not! I get hangry.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Daniel, I'm not an expert.

Experts have recommended to me that if you have a history of a binge disorder to NOT diet via 1 meal per day. Since you're still feeding the binge demon that way. The other thinking/rationale being that once you're into maintenance you can't keep up only one meal per day since an active guy would need 3000 calories in maintenance. Yes, in a deficit you'd only eat 1500-1800 in a meal which is a big meal but not like a huge binge meal.

However, I found eating two meals in a 6-8 hour window very doable for a long-ish term maintenance scheme.

I'm not saying don't eat just one meal per day, I guess I'm saying try to make sure you're doing something that is sustainable in the midterm but also is training your brain to accept the meals it will eventually get in maintenance.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Daniel, I'm not an expert.

Experts have recommended to me that if you have a history of a binge disorder to NOT diet via 1 meal per day. Since you're still feeding the binge demon that way. The other thinking/rationale being that once you're into maintenance you can't keep up only one meal per day since an active guy would need 3000 calories in maintenance. Yes, in a deficit you'd only eat 1500-1800 in a meal which is a big meal but not like a huge binge meal.

However, I found eating two meals in a 6-8 hour window very doable for a long-ish term maintenance scheme.

I'm not saying don't eat just one meal per day, I guess I'm saying try to make sure you're doing something that is sustainable in the midterm but also is training your brain to accept the meals it will eventually get in maintenance.

This is very wise.
  • dmcb24
    dmcb24 Posts: 56 Member
    I want to try this way of eating because for me, once I start eating I have a hard time stopping. So I've been holding off on eating first meal until noon. I want to push it out later. Daniel, Are you in any groups on here that support this ?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    If it works for you, fine.

Wouldn't work for me though - I need to eat about 5 times per day ( varied amounts from a muesli bar or such mid morning to a full dinner early evening)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    One thing I will say, I understanding eating in a small window, but I don't see how you will even come close to achieving your protein requirements with only one meal. How much are you consuming? Because without adequate protein and resistance training, you will increase the amount of muscle loss, which will slow down your metabolic functions and will make your skin more saggy.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    I just so happen to do it sometimes...
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    As a lifestyle, starving & bingeing is generally not considered healthy,
    but as a once in a while thing it shouldn't be a problem.
    If it fits in your calories for the day, and you're getting the nutrients you need, have at it.

And here's someone who's never heard if Intermittent fasting. It's not something that works for everyone but it's definitely not a bad lifestyle for some.