Confused about bulking/cutting/recomp

Options
I need some easy to understand info because I'm completely confused. I am 5'10 and 68 kg and to be honest no idea about bf% but look btwn 25- 28% tanita machine at gym says 30% on standard and 20%for athletic so any ones guess. My goal is to build a bit of muscle just so I don't look skinny fat. I am doing SL 5x5 not huge amount of weight but just making 5x5 with each workout and making slow gains in weight increasing. Eat about 2000 cal P175gmin F60-70 g min and C175g. Also GF unfortunately. What I need advice on is with my height/weight should I be cutting bf more and how do I do so without losing muscle or do l try to bulk or recomp? I've read lots of info but I'm confused, and I don't want to lose the little bit of muscle I have.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I would shoot for recomp. Many recommend a BF % no higher than 12-15% to bulk. Best of luck.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Ladies do not need to get down to 12-15% body fat to bulk. Maybe somewhere around 18-20ish for women?
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Ladies do not need to get down to 12-15% body fat to bulk. Maybe somewhere around 18-20ish for women?

My bad, didn't notice the OP was female. Still would go for recomp. Don't think bulk appropriate for female in 40's with 25% or so BF.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    So question is how do I reduce bf without losing muscle or too much weight. Below 65kg and I look dreadful.
  • Packerjohn
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This is a pretty decent article IMO: https://www.t-nation.com/training/truth-about-bulking

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    So question is how do I reduce bf without losing muscle or too much weight. Below 65kg and I look dreadful.

Keep doing the lifting program you are already doing + have a small deficit. Once you start seeing visible abs or have a flat stomach, it may be time to bulk. Hard to tell with no pics. You could recomp but I generally don't suggest it too often because it's brutally slow (like 12-24 months if you are on point with nutrition).

Also, your protein is rather high. You probably only need around 100-120gs max based on your stats.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice :)