Insanity vs P90X

Options
I have done p90X. I didn't follow nutrition but I did the workouts consistently for the first 2 months. I saw big results in my arms and abs....but not so much everywhere else. I had been doing weights before so I'm thinking that may be why....

I don't really want to build a lot more muscle...I know it helps burn fat...I want to do more cardio.

Is that what insanity is?
i have a good 15-20 pounds to lose. I do cardio at the gym 4-5 days a week and weights 3 days a week.
Any suggestions or comments....

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,689 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Insanity, but I'm on my third round of P90X. I love what it does for my upper body, but my favorite program for cardio, legs and abs is Slim in 6 and Slim Series. I alternate between a hybrid of those two (SI6 & SS) and P90X. They complement each other nicely, I think. However...I am pretty darned sure I am going to order TurboFire soon. I think I'd like to start it Labor Day.
  • mchelle125
    mchelle125 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I finished Insanity at the end of May and LOVED it! On Monday I'm starting Round 2 of Insanity. Haven't done P90X but know people who have and have had great results. I'm actually a Beachbody Coach so if you have any questions or would like me to be your coach, visit my website. www.beachbodycoach.com/mchellep

And yes, Insanity is more hard core cardio. There are no weights involved...it's all plyometrics (using your own body weight as resistance). I built a lot of upper body strength and can do more push ups than ever before!! My endurance and flexibility have improved a ton too!! I'd recommend it to anyone who's ready to really commit to a intense program. It's hard work but amazing results.

I'm going to be ordering Turbo Fire too. Looks like a funkier version of Insanity! :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,689 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a Beachbody Coach so if you have any questions or would like me to be your coach, visit my website.
    A lot of us here are BB coaches. :wink:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I have done Insanity and it is deffinately more a Cardio workout........and it is just as the name implies Insane
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 8th week of my 3rd round of P90X and am slowly integrating Insanity workouts into my program with the intention of a full blown 90 day P90X/Insanity hybrid upon completion of this round.

I've done Pure Cardio twice (just got the dvd's) and Plyo Cardio once (today was my first time).

Insanity is purely a cardio/endurance program if you asked me. You WILL get ripped but you won't gain any muscle on this program. It's no joke though. WAY more difficult than P90X.

The Plyo Cardio I did today compared to P90X Plyo is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Chevy Cobalt....no contest.

I will say that I'm all about muscle FIRST, and then getting ripped so I'll never do a full round of just Insanity. There would be too much muscle wasting for me. Great program for definition though.
  • auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! that's just what I needed to hear! I'm ordering insanity when I get home from my trip!
  • mchelle125
    mchelle125 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love Insanity!! I agree that if you're a guy looking for muscle building, P90X is probably a better choice. But as a woman without much upper body strength, I did gain upper body muscle with Insanity. Lots of definition in my arms and shoulders that I didn't have before. :-) Beachbody ROCKS!!!