I'm a chronic self-sabotager

Options
Jessyd76
Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
I've come to realize that I'm scared of succeeding.

In a way, it makes sense. Whenever I see the scale go down - that day I will do something to make it go back up. (Including today)

I've gotten so dependent on having my weight be a crutch or the reason why my life isn't the way I want it to be. I've come to realize that I'm scared of losing my crutch. What will I blame everything on if I lose the weight?

I know I'm not the only self sabotager on here. And I'm sure some have conquered this fear of success.

Aside from finding a good shrink, got any tips on how you conquered the fear and the self sabotaging?

Replies

• KendAnne
    KendAnne Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I understand... once I start seeing results I ALWAYS slack off, wether it's on my food intake or gym. I've gotten used to being "the nice one" and hanging in the background.... and I know it sounds shallow but maybe I'm worried that changing my body composition will make more people pay attention to me and that's kinda nerve wrecking...
    But hey, this is for ME not anyboody else so I can't keep messing it up for myself!
    .........that's what I've started doing :)
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    OMG - guilty! I just posted about this on my feed to my friends!!! a couple of weeks ago I cracked the 62's (62.9) and then it's like straight away my brain goes "yeay! I got this weight loss thing! woohoo! Now let's go eat some treats to celebrate and we won't put anything back on because we're the bomb! we're in the 62s!"

Needless to say, I'm back up into the 63s. End of last week was 63.8. (63.5 just now at the gym).

Oh - yeah - Kilos not pOunds sorry - so 63.5 is about 140 pounds)

So I need to stop self-sabotaging. I really do.

My friends have suggested I treat myself with stuff instead food - like clothes or whatever.
  • sahead710
    sahead710 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm awful with self sabotage, my most wished for goal is to get under 200lbs, 2 years ago I had got so close, I got down to 202 but for reasons I cannot remember nor can I fathom or justify, I quit right there, and more recently in the past few months, I got down to 206, then started slacking off again. I'm back up where I started I am ashamed to say and now in the first few days of working towards that under 200 goal. I read in a book once that the fight is not over until you have won, so I'm still fighting. One of my issues is when I am hungry I do not think rationally, so if I'm not prepared with a packaged dinner or snack, I make poor choices and my body tells me it doesn't care that it's unhealthy or too much it's HUNGRY NOW. Preparing your meals and snacks ahead of time is setting yourself up for success ^.^
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I do this and I just have to emotionally go through the reasons I get nervous at certain weights etc. Calm myself, go SLOWLY until I get past it. REALLY enjoy and praise myself for getting over the hump, realize it will happen again, that every time I get passed one of the spots I am gaining more positive experiences and less gain backs. At first, I kept losing the same 5-10lbs. then the same 20 lbs, then the same thirty lbs, then I kept that off and lost another 23 lbs. I am working through being at this weight and I know I can do it. I just have to be determined and work through my anxieties etc. Hope that helps...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If this problem is dimisnishing your llife, then finding a good therapist is probably your best bet. If this is not something you are willing to do, then you may not be ready to change your behavior.

Perhaps the best way to start, if that's not an option for whatever reason is to find a good coach who willl help you identify what strengths you can use to move to the next level.