Tips for Running @ 250lbs+?

Options

Replies

• AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    So I really want to try running out but I've heard a lot of horror stories about large women running and causing their bodies harm. I would think running form and shoes are definitely two very important factors to preventing injury.

I currently weigh 272lbs and could really use some tips on how to run safely - shoe & form recommendations & more are welcome!

I also bought the Zombies, Run! app for my iPhone that I'm excited to try out. :smile:

I haven't read any of the responces yet , I was too excited about the Zombies ,Run ! comment .

I love it , I don't run yet . Mostly bike and treadmill as well as eliptical . but someone should start a thread on Zombies, Run !!
    I can't wait to exercise because of it . friend request on the way !!

Amy
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Strongly recommend quad, hip, iband, hamstring and calf strengthening before you start running. Your joints are going to take a pounding and your muscles need some additional oomph to help stabilize them. What you can do in your mid-20's even at high weight will sometimes bite you in your mid-50's at normal weight. It's not just about what you want to do right now; you're in this for the long haul.

That said, everybody else has it - good shoes, professionally fitted; do some reading on form (or better still, find a coach to help get you going), walk for a long time before you start to run, etc. ALWAYS stretch before and after, walking included.

Good on ya' for your ambition and drive, and good luck!!
  • ashm1427
    ashm1427 Posts: 23
    Options
    bump for later
  • George1567
    George1567 Posts: 107
    Options
    I saw a poster once that said "Get in shape to run, not run to get in shape" At the time I didn't understand, but now it makes more sense.

You "want to run"......I say great, go for it. You have your goal, but the road to get there may take time and several steps. No doubt about it people of weight can run, but they worked up to it. If you are just starting into fitness, running may not be the place to start. If you have been lifting and doing other forms of cardio then pounding pavement may not be far off.

For me my mental barriers to run were tough. It takes strong mental control to run distance. Second it was very painful training my body to take the impact of running. Sore knees, ankles, lower back, and feet all were issues early on. I think I would have been better off to have cut some more weight before I started running.

Best wishes!!!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Hmm :

Gear:
    * good bra! two even if they are big ;)
    * good shoes - not cheapest ones.
    * comfortable pants and t-shirt

Check the couch 2 5k program, it will start you off with short intervals and end with a 5k in 12 weeks.. great program, really!

Do proper warmup and stretches *always*
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't do it... Just stick to walking for the time being, your not going to gain anything for the risk you take.
    Just by walking your going to strengthen muscles and tendons.

I uses to race 5ks and I don't run now and I'm 6'1" 255lbs. I walk I bike i swim but I don't run at least not yet.

I agree with the others don't skimp on shoes...

Good luck
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Be realistic. Regardless of your weight, if you're new to running, you're likely going to be fairly slow because you're just not used to it.

Also, shoes are incredibly important. The two greatest pairs of shoes I've ever owned were Patagonia Tsali's (now discontinued, but they have a 2.0 version out), and my current running shoes, which are K-Swiss Kali Mari Tubes.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Are you accustomed to walking?
    Have you been walking for several months already?

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html

Do at your own pace.
    Repeat weeks as many times as necessary

First 8-weeks Conditioning program, walk-only

Second 8-weeks Condition program, repeat it, but do the "jog" segments.

Go too easy, go too slow, go too short
    :-)

:-)
  • lsquick972
    Options
    It helps to work up to your goal. Maybe the first day, walk ten minutes. Second day, walk 10, run 1. Third, walk 10, run 2....and so on. I read this in a fitness magazine and it works for me, as I have difficulty running. You can obviously adjust this to whatever is comfortable for you. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be discouraging in any way whatsoever but I would suggest swimming instead. You can still "run" in the water and spare your knees, ankles and feet. At the very least, you could be safely and in a fun way toning up the muscles that you would need for actual running. Like someone else said, the risks outweigh the benefits.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Go slooooow. Listen to your body. Good shoes. Like someone else said - My "jogging" was slower than my walking. My daughter used to tease me "I walk faster than you run". I started running when I was 49. I'm 52 now and training for my first marathon. I love running. It's the fountain of youth. I'm still working on speed... but I've won several 1st and 2nd place trophies in my age group. My fastest 5K is 28:20 and I'm not happy with it. I want to get faster. I've also won 1st place in a half marathon (age group)... and a few years ago I weighed over 265 pounds and was out of breath with a little bit of walking.

You can do it! Go sloooooooooooooooooow. Take walk breaks. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this question and the responses are very insightful. I started running at 270lbs and here are the things that were tremendously helpful to me:

1. Wearing 2 sports bras
    2. Having amazing tunes with a higher bpm. I can't hear new music wiout evalutating the beats per minute and determining if it is a good one for my fast walk/slower jog
    3. Compression pants
    4. Professionally fitted shoes (I suggest someplace for you like Porland Running Company. They evaluate your walk and get you the right fit - this is crucial!)
    5. Socks... the right socks are important. I like padded bottoms, thin tops and moisture wicking.
    6. 5ks - look into registering a race that you can walk or run in. Work your butt off to get ready for it. Celebrate your success of completing it. Schedule another one in the future and try to beat that time. Rinse and repeat.

These are just some of my ideas. Couch to 5k is a good program, but like someone already mentioned, it takes us longer to accomplish it than the program is tailored for.

Most of all - have fun! If you get pleasure from being outdoors - do it there. If you prefer the treadmill (like me, it's more controlled and I can get lost in my head) then go with that.

I agree with all of this! If a C25K program seems too 'fast-paced' you might check out the book "Run Your Butt Off" by the running coaches at Runner's World. They talk about breathing, pace (SLOW!!), and tips on stretching/cool down etc.

Best of luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Go for a bike ride! i was heavy, and started riding my bike. I thought i was too fat to run, and was a bit self-conscious about it. and i couldn't go very far, and i thought to myself "what is the point of going for a run if you can't run 6 miles?"

so i dusted off my old mountain bike and went for a spin, thinking i'd try it out. i loved it!! you can go so much further than running, it's easy on the joints, and it doesn't leave you spent like some long runs can. it's a great way to lose weight and stay in shape, and build your cardiovascular endurance to eventually go for that run.
  • nrz242
    nrz242 Posts: 76
    Options
    I just started jogging at 219 lbs - just take it slow, I started at about 5 minutes at a time and now I'm only up to 10 or 12 minutes but I intent to eventually do a 5K - If you want running inspiration read this:

http://wtf.tw/ref/mcdougall.pdf

Its a fantastic book about native Mexican distance runners, super inspiring and a good read. There's another book about the authors running technique called "the cool impossible" about learning to run without hurting your body. Thats where I started at least, hope you find it as inspiring as I did
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice in this thread...including how to approach it and better alternatives to it.

I'm torn on which side I'm on. On one hand, I love running...but I'll also acknowledge that it is one of the worst forms of exercise you can do to your body (at least long steady runs). Doing it at a higher weight will only compound these potential problems. The injury rate for runners is remarkably high...

...and yet, I still do it.

So I guess what I'm saying is, good luck with whatever you decide to do...and I'm...

In...

...for more discussion.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I started at about your current weight with my running program....I've been working toward running greater time/distances veeeeerrrrryyyyy sloooooooowwwwwlllyyyyy. I started with C25K to get a template for how a beginner's running program should look. I tailored it to how my body was feeling...ie; if I thought it was too much, I backed off. If I felt stronger, I pushed harder. Lots more walking than jogging in the beginning. Listen to your body, but don't be afraid to challenge yourself a little at a time. Decent shoes. Good form. Run so slow that you don't think you can go any slower. Over time you'll build endurance and be able to run longer and faster. I've been working on this on and off for a few years, and my fastest pace is a 12:30 minute mile....which I can only keep up for about five minutes. The first year, I mostly walked and would occasionally jog for only up to two minutes at a time. I've walked several 5Ks, and run/walked two 5Ks. I've never injured myself, and after two years of 5K's, I'm hoping my next one at the end of July will be an "all-run" one at approximately a 14 minute mile. You might try subscribing to Runner's World, too.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips so far! I will have to see what we have in the mall closest to us in Portland and get fitted for shoes.

I want to run... if I wanted advice on lifting weights I would have made an entirely different topic.

The mall is likely NOT going to have the right store for you. You need to go to an actual running store. Here in Ohio we have Second Sole and Vertical Runner. Mall stores like footlocker etc.. yeah NO STAY AWAY. Do a little research or maybe google "running stores portland oregon" and see what you come up with :)
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I've started C25K a few times, and have dropped out, mostly because of discouragement over how slow my progress was. I'm going to start it again in July, but in preparation, on my cardio days in June, I have added a 5 k walk just to help myself adjust to the distance, and to help build the habit off getting out. One of my end goals is to do a sprint triathalon next year. I can't say for certain yet, how this time around with C25K will work out, but I think the key to a lot of my success so far is to not get in a rush. Start slow, progress slowly, and give yourself time to adjust.

Also, the advice given so far on doing something that has less impact on the joints is good stuff. You can start building up your cardiovascular endurance with it, and use the walking just to establish the habit of getting out and going. You'll get there...just be patient, be safe, and do your best to make it fun!
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good supportive shoes are the most important thing.

But I'd personally just see how your body is able to deal with it. If you find you're in pain, then stop and walk.

At the moment I can't run properly, as I get plantar fasciitis which pretty much starts after a short period I even try to run. But walking is a great alternative, and it reduces the impact massively.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips so far! I will have to see what we have in the mall closest to us in Portland and get fitted for shoes.

I want to run... if I wanted advice on lifting weights I would have made an entirely different topic.

The mall is likely NOT going to have the right store for you. You need to go to an actual running store. Here in Ohio we have Second Sole and Vertical Runner. Mall stores like footlocker etc.. yeah NO STAY AWAY. Do a little research or maybe google "running stores portland oregon" and see what you come up with :)

Definitely.