60 min of HIIT vs 90 min of Gym

Options
Looking for feedback to see what people would recommend as a better and more effective workout in order to lose about 15lbs and tone up a little.

Currently doing 60 mins 5-6 times a week of HIIT training. Do I stick with this routine or alternatively I have been considering returning to the gym. At the gym I would do a 60 min cardio class (step,cycling, etc) followed by 30 min of weight training.

Thanks.

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I would recommend finding a decent lifting program and making that your main focus, then do 10-15 minutes of HIIT after.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My guess is that both would yield fairly similar results, assuming your diet is the same.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    dmrm wrote: »
    Looking for feedback to see what people would recommend as a better and more effective workout in order to lose about 15lbs and tone up a little.

Currently doing 60 mins 5-6 times a week of HIIT training. Do I stick with this routine or alternatively I have been considering returning to the gym. At the gym I would do a 60 min cardio class (step,cycling, etc) followed by 30 min of weight training.

Thanks.

I think you may be doing cardio level intervals

HIIT is extremely intense and 20 minutes with a few warm up and cool down when you reach 100% HRM is plenty.

Like panting dripping sweat off your elbows kind of intense.

A good diet that has you dropping 1 pound a week with 3-4 days of cardio should get you there.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Diet will matter more than the workout you choose, so pick the workout you will enjoy the most. If you like it you will be more likely to stick with it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    I would recommend finding a decent lifting program and making that your main focus, then do 10-15 minutes of HIIT after.
    This.

Also if you are doing 60 minutes, you aren't doing HIIT.

Both of your proposed options aren't very efficient
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    defmut3 wrote: »
    Also if you are doing 60 minutes, you aren't doing HIIT.

Meant to include this in my main point also, thanks Rybo.
  • dmrm
    dmrm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 60 minute class of Orange Theory Fitness which involves HIIT. Half the class is cardio and the other half strength training.

Just trying to do things that will help achieve goals. These are my two options right now.