Kitchen Gadgets and what to make in them

Options
What are your favorite kitchen gadgets or appliances? And what are your favorite things to make in each one?

I currently have a Forman Grill, Power Pressure Cooker XL, Spiralizer, Kitchenaid Mixer and a countertop Turbo Convection Oven.

Forman Grill - I love to make hamburgers or chicken breast on this. But I also like to cook bell peppers on this before adding them to sandwiches.

Power Pressure Cooker XL - My favorite thing in this is one pot pasta. Throw in ground meat, onions, peppers, marinara, beef broth, pasta... just turn it on and it all cooks together. Potatoes are another favorite in here. I can make enough for everyone at one time in just a few minutes.

Spiralizer - Big shout out to zucchini noodles, carrot noodles and quick onion slicing!

Kitchenaid Mixer - Doesn't get used as much as it used to back when I was eating a lot more desserts. But when cookie season gets underway this bad boy is my best friend.

Turbo Convection Oven - Great for air frying potatoes or other vegetables. Faux fried zucchini in minutes! My parents like to buy fried chicken and freeze it. Then when they are ready for some they just throw it in this still frozen and in a few minutes it's like having just taken a trip to KFC.

So tell me your favorite kitchen items and time savers. And if you have any good ideas for what to make in mine let me know that too.

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Vitamix- everything from my morning smoothie to soups, dips and spreads, ice cream etc.
    Stand Mixer- all my baked goods...LOVE IT
    Cuisinart- anything that needs processing. I adore it

The poster above me is a HATER and has some serious appliance phobias! Along with some major discrimiation issues.

I'm anything but obese and I LOVE TO BAKE.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    chunk the mixer.
    that's used for things that contain flour, sugar, lard, butter, etc.
    nothing good can come out of that combo.

any time I have visited someones house and they have that kitchenaid in the counter -- they are obese. without fait - every time

fried chicken - really? are you trying to gain weight?

favorite - a walmart $14 hamilton mixer.
    make my low sugar smoothies and protein shakes when in a hurry.

Kitchenaid is general used for baked goods yes. However baked goods are not the reason people are fat. Overeating them are.

Fried chicken is perfectly healthy in moderation.

Don't be so judgemental about peoples decisions.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,558 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    chunk the mixer.
    that's used for things that contain flour, sugar, lard, butter, etc.
    nothing good can come out of that combo.

any time I have visited someones house and they have that kitchenaid in the counter -- they are obese. without fait - every time

fried chicken - really? are you trying to gain weight?.

For the record.... The mixer was a gift and is rarely used anymore. I'm not ditching something that costly that I will use on occasion.
    And I said my parents do the fried chicken. My mother looks underweight and you can see her collar bones.

Good grief!

I totally forgot to list my blender. Can't remember the brand but it's a really nice one. Use it for smoothies and protein shakes more than anything.

And my food processor.... but it doesn't get much of a work out and rarely comes out to play.

• Superfun601
    Superfun601 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    to the original poster.... what great suggestions!!! I will keep the peppers in the foreman in mind and also the pressure cooker! I like to use the crockpot a lot!!! Lots of healthy choices for the crockpot like soups and chilis!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Glad I missed the deleted post. I've got a kitchen aid and I'm not obese. I'm just trying to get back to the mid range of my healthy BMI- currently at the top of it. Just eat in moderation.

My current favorites are my vitamix and instant pot. The vitamix is great for smoothies, and soups. The instant pot is just handy. Eggs are probably what I cook the most in it, then potatoes. But it is awesome for broth, pasta, artichokes and even cheesecake.

I use the bread machine and kitchen aid for bread mostly. I have a rule that I rarely buy bread, just make it, so I eat less. I have a George foreman that I use occasionally too.

I kind of like kitchen gadgets.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    to the original poster.... what great suggestions!!! I will keep the peppers in the foreman in mind and also the pressure cooker! I like to use the crockpot a lot!!! Lots of healthy choices for the crockpot like soups and chilis!

I used to use my crockpot all the time until my family bought me the electric pressure cooker. Now I rarely use my crockpot. I especially like that I don't have to pre plan what's for dinner like I do with the crock pot. Instead I can decide 30 minutes before dinner time and still have it all done.

Also, with the pressure cooker. Mine has a rack about half way up you can insert. Sometimes I cook vegetables like potato, carrot, onion etc in the bottom and chicken breast on the top. When the juices from the chicken drip down and additionally season the vegetables. Just be sure they have similar cooking times when you do this though.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Now I'm considering getting a pressure cooker!

I love my stand mixer and my food processor. The stand mixer is so handy when I'm baking for the holidays and the kids can really help to add in the ingredients. My food processor was great when I was making homemade baby food and it's still great for thickening soups, making bisque, purees, and mini cheesecakes! I also use it to crush things.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    Now I'm considering getting a pressure cooker!

Best gift I've ever got for the kitchen! I use it constantly.

• darkangeline
    darkangeline Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pressure cooker is AMAZING. I usually make Carnitas in it. Crock pots are awesome for making pulled pork, and chicken. My stand mixer gets used to make fat bombs. It's awesome. Food Processor for all of the Cauliflower dishes I want to make. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm really sad I don't have a kitchenaid; I've been reading about protein fluff, which sounds awesome, but I only have a hand mixer, and no way am I running that thing for 15 minutes. :sad:
  • eyeamAnne
    eyeamAnne Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bosch mixer -- I make my own wheat bread and eat it in moderation. I don't have need for a Kitchenaid because the Bosch does what I need better.

Slow cooker -- I cook steel cut oats overnight so my breakfast is hot and ready in the morning.

Breville milk frother -- okay, my husband has an obsession for hot chocolate. This one won't help you lose weight but if I have enough calories I make myself a cup of the tastiest hot chocolate ever.

Victorio strainer -- I love to can food from the garden. The Victorio strainer is the BEST for tomatoes. My tomato soup is just straight tomato juice with seasonings. The strainer removes the skin and seeds very easily. Much better than Campbell's tomato soup. (Here is a tip if you like to make homemade tomato sauce: pressure cook whole tomatoes with the stems still on and then run the tomatoes rough the strainer. You get sauce that doesn't have to simmer forever or potentially burn!!)

There are some good ideas in this thread. I love kitchen appliances too much, I'll have to be careful.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    eyeamAnne wrote: »

Victorio strainer -- I love to can food from the garden. The Victorio strainer is the BEST for tomatoes. My tomato soup is just straight tomato juice with seasonings. The strainer removes the skin and seeds very easily. Much better than Campbell's tomato soup. (Here is a tip if you like to make homemade tomato sauce: pressure cook whole tomatoes with the stems still on and then run the tomatoes rough the strainer. You get sauce that doesn't have to simmer forever or potentially burn!!)

I never thought of pressure cooking the tomatoes whole! I need to add this to my to do list. Especially since our tomato plant still has a good handful of tomatoes growing.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Vidalia Chop Wizard. A new buy and loving it so far!
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Love my kitchenaid mixer. I make my yummy pizza dough in it once a week for pizza nights.

I also love my Ninja blender to make smoothies, salad dressings and sauces.

Love my immersion blender to blend hot soups, salsa and sauces.

Not really a "gadget", but I would die without my le creuset cookware. With a good seasoned pan, I use very minimal fat to cook. And I love being able to shift from stove to oven without changing pots/pans.

And I cannot fail to mention my slow cooker. A lifesaver on busy days or weeks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have so many kitchen gadgets, though I don't use most of them much.

Kitchenaid mixer - I don't bake much so I mostly use this to grind venison (meat grinder attachment)
    -- I also have the pasta maker attachment but have only used it once (such a mess!)
    Food processor - used for making hummus
    Blender - can't remember the last time I used it or what for
    Immersion blender - used for pureed soups
    spiralizer - rarely used, once in a blue moon for sweet potato curly fries
    Victorio strainer - seasonal use for straining tomatoes for canning tomato sauce
    Pressure cooker - seasonal use - rarely cook in it, use it for canning
    Slow cooker - used for stews and roasts
    George Foreman grill - haven't used it in years
    Toaster/convection oven - mostly used for toast and frozen waffles or pancakes and reheating pizza
    Microwave - reheating leftovers and cooking spaghetti squash.
    Foodsaver Seal a Meal - use this when processing game
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This is kind of funny, because five years ago, I'd have said, "The ice cream maker!" It was both my favorite and my most used item. There was almost nothing else I made myself, lol. It's so funny how we change.

My knives are my favorite and most used item, but for electric stuff, I'll go with microwave for thawing and reheating, followed by the food processor for, well, everything it does. The spice grinder is wonderful and a godsend.

Finally, the mixer, which can be used for much more than making cakes and cookies.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Knives, cutting mats. a digital food scale and my cast iron skillets and stainless steel pots. I do also sometimes like to use one of the crock pots but the rest of the gadgets don't get much use. I like plain basic cooking.

I do now kind of want a stick blender for making soups.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    we have a few gadgets..my favorites and ones i use regularly are;
    -the rice cooker that makes perfect rice (i can follow stove directions to a tee, yet the rice has never come out right!)
    -nutra ninja blender set, mostly just the nutra blender single cup part for breakfast protein shakes, smoothies & fluff.
    -foodsaver, i make large batches of chili & spagetti meat sauce (and chicken/rice dog food for the dog) and food-save each into one serving bags so i can simply pull one of the bags out and boil it for my hubby's meals on days i still need to cook my foods too or just not in mood to cook from scratch.

your power pressure cooker XL, believe i saw that thing on an infomercial two nights ago, it looked like it was great. does it reallllly cook those big meats and meals that quickly??