Training for marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    always remember that you are doing an amazing and non ordinary thing, that is NOT done by the majority

it doesn't matter if you run 1 miles or 26.2 miles, if your pace is 15 min/k or 3 min /km, you chose to get out and do something that requires a lot of effort, determination, suffer, and not many have the guts to do it - but you have!

be always proud of it, and ignore others, they are just waiting for a failure, because they cannot admit you are doing something that is great and probably they cannot do
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you run then you are a runner and you are training for a marathon that is an amazing thing in itself. People just assume that marathon runners are tiny sprinters that look like super models and eat only bananas.
    Screw everyone else when you run that race it will be for you and YOU did it not these nay Sayers and especially those couch potatoes.
    Any speed fdoes come from intervals and sprint work during training... You are just going to keep getting better.
  • tucky3203
    tucky3203 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am in a better place mentally today than yesterday. Thank you everyone for all your advice. I am a runner...sometimes I just need the confirmation. Training has been good. No injuries so far. I think the increase in mileage and lack of support from extended family wears a toll on you mentally. Slow or Fast it is still miles on the feet.
    My brother in law is completely aware of my feelings...I made it known that I didn't respect his critique.
    Ironically he wasn't very good as an athelete in highschool...maybe that's why he belittles.

All of you just made confirmation for all the miles I've done and still have ahead of me. You are amazing!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I think a couple of quotes from John Bingham, author of "Marathoning for Mortals", are appropriate here.

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”

“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It is people like your brother-in-law that give runners a bad name. Fortunately, there aren't many like him. I am sad to hear that he is coaching young, impressionable, teens.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I think a couple of quotes from John Bingham, author of "Marathoning for Mortals", are appropriate here.

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”

“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”

I got to see John speak earlier this year (before he retired). He was believably funny. Almost ever story was hilarious and also true. :smile:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

Oh... I like that one very much. Very applicable for many here on MFP, runners or not.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    tucky3203 wrote: »
    I can still call myself a runner...right?

That shouldn't even be a question! Of course you are a runner! :smiley:

Stick with what you are doing - getting through training uninjured is a major accomplishment in itself and is a worthy objective for anyone. No one likes to be sidelined; if you can avoid that you are not only a runner but a WISE runner.

No doubt those making a joke at your expense aren't also runners. If they were, they wouldn't make those kinds of insensitive wisecracks. Real runners - like you - understand that everyone has their own pace and needs.

Don't let such comments get you down. Instead write them off as coming from people who don't run that don't know what they are talking about.

PS: There are running jerks out there. Ignore them too. Because, well, they are jerks!

Fortunately, I've found them to be rare. But, they do exist. Don't let them spoil your enjoyment of your chosen sport.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm so lucky. i haven't met one yet. a few focused on what they are doing and thus oblivious to their surroundings and the "head nod" but no jerks just support
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I feel you! Sometimes I don't feel like I'm a runner but darnit...I am! I saw a lady at my last half marathon with a shirt that said "Looks like walking, feels like running." It had a turtle on it. My hero.

I also did 3 half marathons and am working towards my 4th in April. Serious hats off to you for a full marathon. I don't think I'll ever be able to do that with my stumpy 15min/mil pace. :D
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Saw this today:
    251LTWaqua_large.jpeg?v=1435942200
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You're legitimately a runner. Whether you want to try and work on improving your pace is up to you. I haven't done the kind of distances you have - half marathon is impressive.
  • tucky3203
    Options
    After training for the full finishes up my plan in to work on pacing a little more and overall strength toning. This is the best running shape I have ever been in. I have been running for over a year now and thought it was a good idea at the time to sign up for a full marathon. "If not now, probably would never do it" mentally. I'm just impressed with myself for sticking with it. Love the winded shirt btw.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I have to steal these.
  • tucky3203
    Options
    I wish I had seen this earlier...

http://nbcnew.to/1Mhrc7G

Talks about Mirna Valerio being a slower, bigger runner....she is amazing!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My lately marathon pace was an 8:30/mile, my average (non-speedwork) run in the summer in Florida (at my target heart rate for training) is at a 12 min/mile pace.

You'll get faster, and outside of one or two faster runs/week, there really isn't that much benefit to doing your training runs any faster than you are going right now (as I'd guess as a new runner, you are still huffing & puffing at that pace). As the miles accumulate, and weight comes off, speed will definitely pick up on its own. Still, no need to push it if you are enjoying your training, as you'll be more likely to injure yourself, and not enjoy the experience.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate, runners gonna run!

• tucky3203
    Options
    Had a great 14 mile training run today. Averaged 14 mins per mile in mid 70 temps with high humidity. Time on the feet. Feeling much more confident.