How many calories should i eat?

Options
MFP calculated for me 1200 calories per day, but i know that's too restrictive for me. I'm thinking 1400-1500 is more realistic, and i plan on spinning 4x week. Thoughts?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Everyone sets their calories their own way. If you don't want to use MFP's method (and remember that it will also add more calories as you log your workouts) then you might look into some of the alternate methods: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

The important thing is to pick a number, stick with it for at least a few weeks (to account for any water weight fluctuations that are bound to happen) and adjust based on your real world results.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    MFP only calculates calories based on what you tell it. It will have based its 1200 on the fact you told it you wished to lose x a week, but if you told it you wanted to lose a little more slowly, say 1lb aweek instead of 1.5, then it would come out at 1450 rather than 1200.

Theres a big difference in manageability between 1200 and 1500, you will just be able to manage it more easily. Its a smart move to use a level you can sustain.

MFP calculates deficits without exercise so you can eat those calories back, but MFP can often be overgenerous, so just eat 50% and adjust as needed.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree if you adjust weight loss goals it could give you more calories. But you should get several extra calories on the days you have spin class. :)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    i dont understand scooby, but they are telling me to eat 3000 calories to lose weight
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    MFP is telling you to eat 1200 PLUS exercise calories. So with moderate exercise you're at 1400-1500 anyway. They're basically the same numbers.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Or see my post for a general idea of how to calculate your own goal.

Osric