When should I log some of my food

Options
Quick query.
I am a full time carer doing mostly night shifts so when I do them I eat sometimes after midnight sometimes not. For example tonight I'm going to work at 10pm and finish at 7 but probably won't eat dinner/supper before hand, I'll take it with me and eat it sometimes during my shift. The shift is basically a night sit so not many calories burned during the night as most of the time I'm sitting listening out for my clients if they wake, but I need to eat to stay awake. My concern is that if I entered it in tomorrow's food log I won't burn enough calories during the day to burn what I've eaten during the night and have plenty left for tomorrow's eating after I wake.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    2 choices - either log midnight to midnight or wake to sleep as a day, whichever works best for you.

Then look at your calories over a week long period and as long as you're at a deficit you're good.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you start your day. Start when it suits you and just log for that 24hr period. On the PC version I think you can rename your meal categories to whatever and also you can set up extra categories if required, if that helps.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rachelbl72 wrote: »
    Quick query.
    I am a full time carer doing mostly night shifts so when I do them I eat sometimes after midnight sometimes not. For example tonight I'm going to work at 10pm and finish at 7 but probably won't eat dinner/supper before hand, I'll take it with me and eat it sometimes during my shift. The shift is basically a night sit so not many calories burned during the night as most of the time I'm sitting listening out for my clients if they wake, but I need to eat to stay awake. My concern is that if I entered it in tomorrow's food log I won't burn enough calories during the day to burn what I've eaten during the night and have plenty left for tomorrow's eating after I wake.

Don't worry about that part. Your body can handle the daily ups and downs of your calorie intake. As long as you average out as being in a deficit, you're good. The above suggestion of looking at the week is a great one.
  • rachelbl72
    rachelbl72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ah cool so basically I'll be way under my deficit and tomorrow probably over but it doesn't matter as long as I'll still be within my deficit at end of week is that what your saying ?.
  • rachelbl72
    rachelbl72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks Great help all of you, I've already renamed my meal categories into 6 hour slots but eating after midnight tonight would still go on to tomorrow's log, but that doesn't matter now you've said as long as my net calories at end of week is still on deficit it doesn't matter where I log it.