I can't stop binge eating :(

Options
When I put myself on a sensible balanced diet, I'm good for about a week and then I binge eat. I feel physically hungry constantly and I can't stop! I don't know what to do with myself lol!!

Any tips or ideas? Things you have tried and succeeded?

Replies

• HeatherH1984
    Options
    Sadly I have no solution, but wanted to say that I do the same thing, it annoys me because I'll be so good for a week or two and then I'll have a couple of days where I want to eat everything in the house!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,619 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're trying to cut your calories too much? I know when I've done that in the past, I eventually give in to my cravings and go way overboard. I do better if I make sure to eat enough, plan my meals and snacks ahead of time, and always know what my next food is to look forward to. I include an evening snack as well. Hope that helps!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    Well I use to binge eat, but after deciding that I am not keeping myself from foods I like, I just eat them in moderations and do not go over my calorie intakes, i do not crave the extra.....Dieting always makes me give up, but now since i'm not dieting, i'm just watching my proportions and eating what i like, its working.
  • skc4396
    skc4396 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm there too. I have heard that if you focus on putting more fiber in your diet it will keep you feeling full longer.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Check how much artificial sweetners are in your diet. They seem to make people crave carbs and sugar.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    do you get rid of the junk food before dieting? i threw out or gave away my extras to the food pantry so there would be nothing in the house to go for. here's link for metabolic types so you can figure out which one you are and what your food triggers are:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247

good luck!
  • ieatstickers
    ieatstickers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try getting rid of the temptation by purging all the junk food out of your house. Also, try finding healthy snacks that you generally enjoy ( like fruits, crackers, or fat free popcorn ) and stock that up in the house, that way when you have the urge to binge you'll have healthy options and won't feel guilty or bloated afterwards.
  • natalieshalom
    Options
    I used to binge eat a lot since I have Bulemia. The only diet that has worked for me and helped me to stop binge eat is the LCHF diet (low carb high fat) because I get to eat really yummy food and fill full even tho I haven't eaten so much food. So try it! And get rid of everything unhealthy at home. Make sure that if you binge eat you at least binge eat healthy! :)

Good luck!
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    OK, I agree with a comment I read about getting enough to eat... but you have to make sure it is the right kind of calories such as protein, etc. Also, it is a HUGE shock to your body to just switch completely into healthy eating. A good shock, but your body/mind has habits and it is hard to break. I understand and have been there a million times over! :)

First and foremost, be kind to yourself and forgive yourself. So you may have a bad day... how are you going to fix it? Are you going to let that one moment of sabotage ruin your entire day, or perhaps walk it off...literally. This was something I had a hard time changing in my mind...was how to adjust to those days/moments. You are doing hard work and should be proud of that week you have worked hard and not let one day get you down. HANG IN THERE!!! :) YOU ARE AWESOME and WORTHY and you need to remind yourself of that... ok enough of that psycho babble...

One thing that worked for me was Aloe Vera juice. I bought mine at Trader Joe's in the gallon sized container, unsweetened. There are many health benefits to it, aside from weight loss. It tastes vile, so plug and chug with a chaser. I am not kidding, it's nasty, but you get used to it. I started out drinking 2 oz per day and now drink 12 oz per day. After about a week of drinking it, my cravings for sugar and carbs completely disappeared. Although that may be different for everyone. It stabilizes your blood sugar, so I am assuming this is the reason why...plus it acts as a detoxifier. When I don't drink Aloe, I don't loose as much weight. You have to be careful with it though because it can be a mild laxative...so if you have problems such as Crohn's, colitis, IBS, are pregnant, nursing, etc... they advise against it.

I hope that helps. Just remember to hang in there and don't get down on yourself. I completely understand what you are going through. It takes time of trying and trying and trying and finally your body gets the "hang" of it... keep up the great work!
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    And I also agree with dumping the junk or tempting stuff... :)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem and it would happen in the late part of the day or after dinner. I was on a 1200 calorie plan (my choice and part of the program I am following-MFP recommended more calories) I finally upped my calories to 1400 and on the days I work out hard I eat some or most of my exercise calories. I have lost more weight since I made this change and binging is not a problem (at the moment) Maybe you need to eat in a different calorie range or as someone suggested up the fiber. Fiber was not an issue as I eat a lot of it. I also close my kitchen after dinner and this seems to have helped me too. :flowerforyou:
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    It is hard but you can train yourself...it just takes time to get easier.
    Get rid of junk food. There are somethings I don't have in the house!
    Fill up the fridge with things which won't make so much of a difference if you do over eat them.
    Have smaller more frequent meals so you find it easier to 'hold on' and which should balance your blood sugar.
    It always helps me if I tell myself I have the choice, sounds silly but if I think something is a definite no - I want it more.
    Keep busy.
    Get enough sleep - tiredness makes me picky.

Remember - little pickers wear big knickers!
    Keep going - you can do it. x
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i recommend 2 have a little treat. that'll help curb ur binging. if u cut urself all the way off then u'll binge.

& don't worry, we all go thru this at some point & time.

<big hugs> :flowerforyou:
  • peggyann47
    peggyann47 Posts: 22
    Options
    Try to eat foods with more fiber in them. The fiber will help you feel fuller longer. Check your food lables for the fiber contents.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Jesus that was like reading my own profile,I weighed around 8-8 1/2 stone up until my final year of uni when I shot upto 10 1/2 from being chained to my desk and relaxing with wine on a weekend.....Graduated last summer from the Uni of Nottingham :). Im gradually getting back to normal (finally back into size 10 jeans), but its been a hard slog. Ive switched my meals so most of the time (am a little less rigid on weekends), I eat my larger meal for lunch instead of dinner,and avoid carbs in the evening. Found that its really helped stave off hunger,especially in the evenings. If I do want to binge I snack on things like ham or prawns because theyre so lean,rice cakes with laughing cow is good too :). Do you go to the gym?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Oops,accidently posted twice.